Saturday, January 31, 2009

Mr. Clutterbuck, when you're done with him, I'd like a piece

On the eve of Russo pimping the big Cal for the Calder campaign (OMFG, CYBTS?), Cal goes and does the exact thing that I've always been able to say he doesn't do.

I know it's just Burrows and if anybody in a Nucks jersey needs their faceprint on the glass, it's him. And I don't doubt that he likely turned his back to Cal and went low on purpose to draw the big penalty.

But that doesn't matter to me. I don't even care about the appropriateness of the penalty handed him. If he hadn't hit him in that position... if he'd pulled up or shifted direction, he would have had 5 or 6 hits in the game, he could have helped his team in this win, and I could continue to say, "Yeah, he's a pain in the ass but he hits clean. What? Your candyass team doesn't like it? Too bad."

Now I have to say,"He usually hits clean." Weaksauce!

So yeah, I'm pretty disappointed tonight. But according to Russo's post-game blog, Cal is at least taking responsibility for the hit, even though he felt like Burrows embellished and turned away, knowing he was coming, and therefore didn't agree with the game misconduct call.

I've honestly been pretty pissed since then, but I'm calming down now. I still think Cal is the bomb and one of the most impactful rookies in the league, even if it's not purely on the score sheet. But hopefully a lesson in not taking the bait from dirty Nucks was learned tonight by the youngster.

Carry on, my dear. Just please keep it smart and tight, and don't go all Voros on us. You're so much better than that.

9 comments:

Life_As_A_Redhead  February 1, 2009 at 2:02 AM  

I didn't see the hit, in question.

But it doesn't seem like his stile at all to be a dirty hitter.

All I've ever seen was awesome.

KiPA - Kevin in PA  February 1, 2009 at 2:34 AM  

He definitely boarded the guy. And yes, Burrows definitely "dove," as some people wanted him to be penalized for.

But like you, Clutterbuck earned some respect with me when he said whatever it was, something like "maybe I should have let up."

And yes, he has been impactful. (Though I'm not sure that's a word. My spellchecker doesn't like it.)

Ms. Conduct  February 1, 2009 at 2:37 AM  

Kevin, I knew someone would call me on "impactful"... it's a marketing bullshit word but there really isn't a good, simple alternative, and by my standards for using "invented" words, that makes it allowable.

Has had an impact? Nah. He's been FULL of impact! Impactful.

KiPA - Kevin in PA  February 1, 2009 at 3:16 AM  

That's okay, was only meant as a light-hearted jab anyway.

BReynolds  February 1, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

So... how about all that impactfulness? (If it isn't a word, I can do whatever I want with it, right?)

And damn that Russo... scooping me on asking Cal about the campaign. Damn him. damn him to hell!!!!!!

Hey Kevin- how about the campaign now... HUH? HUH?

hipcheck  February 1, 2009 at 10:09 AM  

I didn't see it but I would guess it was Burrows being dirty. He's always doing cheap stuff against the 'yotes. Carcillo made him pay for it last season. Gretz and Toc actually sent him out just to beat the crap out of Burrows.

KiPA - Kevin in PA  February 1, 2009 at 3:21 PM  

"Hey Kevin- how about the campaign now... HUH? HUH?"

Sure, a suspension adds to his validity. :D

Nick in New York  February 2, 2009 at 8:25 AM  

Again, respect for keeping it real on the issue, Ms.Conduct.

Not only do I think you hit the nail on the head with your analysis, but frankly this is the only way you could have reacted to this in keeping with what I know to be your straight-up, no BS, call-it-like-it-is personality.

Ms. Conduct  February 2, 2009 at 8:49 AM  

Thanks Nick. I'm just happy to see that most Wild fans seem either be just such raging homers that they're even more behind Cal and blame the whole thing on Burrows, or they're at least looking at the incident from the perspective of his whole season thus far. That in 176 hits, yeah, one's gonna be a stinker, especially if it's on a diving pustule like Burrows. Meh.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP