Monday, February 2, 2009

The Rush Limbaugh of Hockey

Much discussion around Cal in Wild Nation lately. Helmet, visor, boarding, etc. Somewhere in there, someone said that Don Cherry is the Rush Limbaugh of hockey, and that made a lot of sense to me. Loud mouthed, outrageous, incendiary, divisive. Upon that realization, I decided I was totally okay with not giving a rat's ass what the old fart thinks.

I guarantee you, the guy isn't watching anything other than three or four clips, and then having the nerve to make sweeping declarations about a player's character. What arrogant bullshit! Watch Wild games on a regular basis and you'll know what kind of player Cal Clutterbuck is. Jackass.

*deep breath*

Meanwhile, I woke up to a ton of alerts on Cal in my inbox, mostly just papers picking up the Cherry BS, but the Toronto Sun even mentioned the Cal for Calder campaign!

Minnesota Wild broadcasters often rehearse Cal Clutterbuck’s name before a game so they won’t stumble over it on air. “It’s not a difficult name, but I can see how it can slip and turn it into a disaster pretty quickly,” Clutterbuck joked. That was before Saturday when Don Cherry mocked him as “Buttercup” for fighting with his visor on. Another line being tossed around about the heavy hitting rookie: ‘you can’t spell Calder without Cal’, but Steve Mason is the clear rookie favourite.
Yeah, be a buzzkill with your MonoMason talk. *raspberry*

Then the two local papers picked up Cal's take on Cherry. Of particular interest is the photo slide-show of all their Cal pictures on the Pio page. Kinda cool. Here's today's Strib.

--------------

In other stuff, I got such a good night's sleep last night! I sure missed playing hockey but a little break is good for the soul. Back at it today though.

I still haven't watched the Aeros game from Saturday night. It was a 3-0 shut out, so I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to get to that, but I will sometime today and get it written up.

Also have to re-create the Cal for Calder button in vector mode so it can be printed on actual buttons. Oh yeah, baby, it's coming!

6 comments:

BReynolds  February 2, 2009 at 9:13 AM  

First... when the buttons are made... count me in.

Second, I will now go and write my post about Don Cherry being an idiot. I have been up for awhile, waiting to write it, but I thought I would give you the honor of the first response.

On another fun note... I am sick, so I rescheduled "the interview" so as not to get the team sick too. Next Monday it is...

Ms. Conduct  February 2, 2009 at 9:15 AM  

Ah, bummer, B! Sorry you're sick but thank you for not germing up my boy. And thanks for letting me know, lest I spend the whole day in eager anticipation of your report back.

Fred Trask  February 2, 2009 at 9:25 AM  

I love Don, and I agree with him more often than not but he's dead wrong on this one and Cal has him dead to rights in the Strb article. Call out Grapes on it Cal. Heck talk to Cal live next Sat Grapes!

Grapes would have LOVED Cal on the Big Bad Bruins, I know, that was the team I cut my hockey teeth on.

WRT - Wild Road Tripper  February 2, 2009 at 9:35 AM  

You hit the nail on the head, Ms. C.

I'll take a Cal button if you ever produce any. It would make a nice remembrance if nothing else (and a helluva conversation piece on the road trips!)

As for Don Cherry, he is so out there, he's barely even on the same planet as the rest of us. You can't say that CBC is unhappy with him; on the contrary, he is treated as an icon north of the 49th parallel.

As you said, it would have been nice had Cherry actually watched an entire game where Cal played instead of just a few clips. And even if he did watch a game, it shouldn't be against the atrocious Maple Laffs, who absolutely are in the dumper and will take time to extricate themselves from it.

Maybe Don cherry is too used to watching Darcy Tucker cheap shot his way thru the Leafs' schedule...!

Nick in New York  February 2, 2009 at 10:49 AM  

for me, the thing about Cherry is that he's just such a pathetic figure.

They trot him out like a circus freak for the entertainment value, hoping he gets revved up on some issue and sprays spittle all over Maclean in the process.

I've read a couple articles about him and it's clear he loves hockey, and realizes that hockey's done much more for him than the other way around. While I totally dig that, I just wish he wasn't such a clown.

It's like he's the only one not in on the joke that he's a joke.

Like they taped a "kick me" sign on the back of the kid in the wheelchair.

I don't know, I sort of pity him I guess.

BReynolds  February 2, 2009 at 11:02 AM  

"Like they taped a "kick me" sign on the back of the kid in the wheelchair."

Classic...

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP