Friday, January 9, 2009

Aeros v. Hershey Bears - Game 41

Some days you're the bug and some days you're the windshield. Both the Aeros and the Bears have now had their turn at each position in their two meet-ups this season.

But there's little solace in this symmetry. The Aeros turn as the windshield in mid-December wasn't nearly the game-long domination that the Bears brought to the ice tonight in their 5-1, fight-filled victory.

The Bears, probably remembering well the sting of the Aeros 6-1 victory over them in Houston on Dec. 13, came out of the gate like a hive of angry bees. Hitting, checking, giving no ice. Strangely though, the shots were pretty even for the period, and Mitch Love and Matt Kassian seemed to be the only ones actually making it to the net. Don't ask me. I just work here.

But you know it's gonna be bad when your best offensive chances are coming from your two tough guys (and indeed, Mitch ended up with the most shots on goal with 4 and Kassian had 3) Apart from those two, it seemed the Aeros were constantly spinning in circles to maintain possession as the Bears gave them absolutely no room to work.

The Aeros had three man-advantage opportunities in the first, two of which were cut in half by coinciding Aeros penalties. The only thing they got out of the power play was a short handed goal against.

I wish I'd known what I know now and had counted how many legitimate short handed opportunities the Bears pulled off during the Aeros 6 power plays. There were several. The Bears came into the game with the Aeros' power play scheme solved like a the nerdiest kid at the Math Olympics.


And there was pugilism. Lots of it. Five fighting majors for each side and one misconduct (not sure what for... anybody catch what the Rogers/Giroux misconducts were for?) each. I think the first fight, unless it was leftover from the last game, was more of a call to arms by Mitch Love to get his road-weary team fired up.

The next, something happened off camera to Mojzis that had him face down on the ice and Albers objecting. The next thing I know, Mink has Alby in a headlock and is just pounding him in the head. I'll admit to having a severe girl moment during which I shrieked, "STOP THAT!!!!" There's a reason I watch Aeros home games with my hand over my mouth.

How Kassian got through the game without even 2 PIM leaves me scratching my head a little.

Anyway, Schultz (from Olvecky and Locker) got the only goal on a late second period power play. But unlike so many other deficits the Aeros have faced, I never felt like this one was surmountable. The Bears just out-did the Aeros in nearly every way during the play I saw. Admittedly, I was in the car listening on the radio for the second period, and missed part of the third after I got back but it was so far gone by then, even though the Aeros did pick it up a bit. Too little, too late.

Dietsch was back, which was good, but Ryan and Mike Hamilton were out. Lammers is still out. Obviously Scott is up still, along with Kolanos. Tough times and a tough way to start a 3-in-3. This road trip can't end soon enough.

I'm sure there's more to say but I think that's enough. Safe travels, guys. Quad Cities tomorrow, which should be a more familiar match-up.

2 comments:

walkinvisible  January 10, 2009 at 12:29 PM  

i'm honestly very excited to read your entry tomorrow... i've been looking forward to it since we 'met.'

so there you go. pressure's on.

GO JOHNNY A !!!
:)

Ms. Conduct  January 10, 2009 at 3:16 PM  

Good thing you RSVP'd. I tend to half-ass these out of town reports unless they're nutty like last night's game. But I'll put a little extra effort in. Though usually, games against QC are pretty boring. I'm just gonna be pissed and maybe throw up in my mouth a little if Chucko scores again. Ugh.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP