Monday, October 20, 2008

Aeros v. San Antonio Rampage - Game 3

Okay, finally adding some notes from this raucous game. You remember that thing they used on Men In Black that zaps you so you don't remember what you just saw? I think this game, for me, kinda "zapped" last season for me. It's hard to believe we were even in the same building watching the same team. Last year's Aeros were doing well to get 8 goals in 3 games.

Of course, you don't want to get too excited too early. The players and coaches are all saying the right stuff: There are still problems on defense and the PK that need lots of work. But come on, you gotta know these crazy wins are putting a little extra pep in their step, right?

For starters, I was right about them plugging Lammers into the Rosa/Olvecky line where Kolanos had been. That line earned the first goal of the evening on a picture-perfect wrap-around goal from Rosa. Olvecky got the fourth goal of the game with Irmen (and Rogers) assisting, so I'm guessing that line got switched up a bit as the game went on, though I wasn't paying all that close attention to line combinations at that point.

I want to give new guy (call up from the CHL's Texas Brahmas) Jason Deitsch some props: Not only did he get a goal but he set the goal up himself with some really smart anticipation in the Aeros defensive zone that led to a turnover allowing him to bring the puck down and score a really pretty goal. I don't know much about the guy but that whole play was pretty impressive.

I spent the first two periods trying to figure out what's so great about Corey Locke. Apparently, Corey Locke figured it out before I did and put together 4 points in the final period, basically making me feel like an ass for questioning him. I'm okay with that. I feel like an ass a lot anyway, so if it gets the Aeros a win, it's something I'll live with. He DOES get shoved around a lot though, being so small. It seems he's pretty durable.

San Antonio's second goal was not a goal. From where I sat, it looked like a slow whistle after Barry had it, but Fred's photos tell the tale. Oh well. Shit happens. Tough for Barry though. I wonder how that game might have changed if that hadn't been ruled a goal and Barry hadn't been pulled eight and a half minutes in.

That's about it. The other guys covered the rest of it. No sense in repeating them.

John Royal - Houston Press
John Royal's Blog
Houston Chronicle article
Andrew Ferraro's Blog

-------------------------------

The Aeros new offense had a coming out party tonight. If there was any doubt this is a new team across the board, this game should put those doubts to rest. Even without Kolanos, who's been playing with the golden stick thus far, the team found the back of the net over and over and over, ultimately tying the team record for goals scored (8).

Of course, the flip side of that was San Antonio's 6 goals, an uncharacteristically high GAA for this defensive-minded team and source of obvious discomfort for Coach Kevin Constantine.

I had the excitement of getting to interview (nervously) KC and assistant coach and assistant GM Troy Ward after the game, so I'll put some of that up later when I get my notes transcribed. I dunno how these guys with nightly deadlines do it. Kudos. Plus, there was SO MUCH that happened in this game, I just don't have the energy to put it all down tonight, so watch for this post to get edited tomorrow.

The only thing left to say tonight is... it's official. Being a goalie on my fantasy hockey team is grim death. My sincerest apologies to Biron, Turco, Smitty, Osgood, and Kipper. Somehow the stank hasn't reached Buffalo yet, so Miller is safe for now. You're welcome, Crunchy.

2 comments:

BReynolds  October 19, 2008 at 9:26 AM  

Ah ha! It's YOUR fault Kipper and Turco suck... I thought it was me.

They certainly aren't being helped by both being on my team either...

Life_As_A_Redhead  October 19, 2008 at 12:26 PM  

And here, I thought it was my fault poor Marty was having it so bad. If I watch, the Stars lose. If I don't they win.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP