Sunday, November 9, 2008

Aeros v. Rochester Amerks - Game 12

The only good thing about this game was the interview with Constantine in the first intermission, which will provide lots of quotes for my PHN article.

Beyond that, the team played down to the level of BY FAR the worst team in the AHL. I'm guessing that was a long, quiet drive to Syracuse last night for today's game at 2 p.m. Central.
---------------

For the first hand report, from Nick in New York, go here. Unfortunately, this was one of the worst Aeros games ... ever? Bad sampling and I'm not sure Constantine should be thrown under the bus quite so hard. I believe in him, but his team is strug-gul-ing right now to find the will to pay the price.

8 comments:

Nick in New York  November 9, 2008 at 10:59 AM  

Okay maybe it was a tad over the top...

Ms. Conduct  November 9, 2008 at 11:06 AM  

I think the general level of disgust isn't over the top but I still tend to put the onus on the team. I believe Constantine & Co. are giving them the tools and they're not using them consistently. I mean, they beat a very good Hamilton team one day earlier, so you know they have the stuff to do it.

Nick in New York  November 9, 2008 at 11:14 AM  

I don't have a problem putting the onus on the team - in all sports at all levels. But I think the team is a reflection of the coach at the AHL level. That's what he's there for. That's why you spend more than five minutes picking a coach for your AHL affiliate.

The PP last night is the best example of a lack of coaching IMO. There was no cohesive plan of attack (carry in one time, dump and chase the next, working around the perimeter with no one attempting to penetrate in the middle, nobody even shooting) and THAT'S as much coaching as failure to execute IMO.

Ms. Conduct  November 9, 2008 at 12:19 PM  

I see your point, but I've seen these guys being REALLY good on the PP this season several times with mainly this line-up, so I know they have the tools. So, while there may have been a coaching failure in this game, fundamentally, I believe they're being coached well.

Nick in New York  November 9, 2008 at 12:22 PM  

well I'm certainly willing (hoping?) to defer to your greater body of experience observing them than my one game, ms. c.

Ms. Conduct  November 9, 2008 at 12:34 PM  

I'm hoping, too, Nick. Very much.

hipcheck  November 10, 2008 at 1:53 PM  

Wait, is Gretzky your coach? Because all these comments sound just like the ones we say about Gretz, especially nick's PP analysis. :)

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP