Sunday, February 22, 2009

Aeros v. Iowa Chops - Game 58

I think I've figured out why I don't want to write up these games... I don't want to talk about the streak for fear of jinxing it. Shhhh... so yeah, it's 6 games but we're not gonna talk about it.

Exciting game, top to bottom, last night. Definitely a fitting culmination to a series of 4 pretty good games in two weeks against the Chops. It's been a huge boost to this team both in the standings and, I'd wager, to their confidence.

The question in my mind right now is, how much of this was riding the NHL-caliber coattails of Kurtis Foster? I guess it remains to be seen. And with 6 days before the next Aeros game, and their propensity for stinking after a long layoff, I don't have high hopes for next Friday's game against Rockford. Well, I have high hopes, but low expectations. What goes up must come down. Even the Red Wings have bad goaltending right now.

I felt like the Aeros dominated play, in significant stretches, though it certainly wasn't reflected in the scoring. Seems like at least three or four times, they had the Chops on their heels and were just peppering the net with shots. But it was posts or LeNeveu or deflections or whiffs or wide or high... Only Foster managed to blast one of his killer slapshots into the net during a couple of minutes of 4-on-4 play. Brute force, baby.

The goal against by foxy Drew Miller (damn his foxy hide) was a tough one because Schaefer had stopped it but it was beneath him and he didn't know it was still loose. But Miller did.

Both goalies put on a clinic but Schaef won the shootout for sure. And he won his 100th game, so congrats on that milestone! Great picture of him accepting his #1 star here by Fred. Good stuff.

One of the few lowlights was a 3-on-5 opportunity the Chops gave up late in the first period. The Aeros just couldn't get their act together and hold the zone. It was a jaw dropping choke job.

One of the highlights was a little scuffle after the play which resulted in Kassian dangling one of his gloves at an opponent, challenging him to a fight. We had a good laugh about that. Kass got 10 minutes for it. Sometimes it's just worth it, IMO. (More on this from Royal... I contend that my description isn't actually wrong.)

Also, Love got in a fight with Wathier early in the second and my sources, who sit next to the visitors' penalty box, tell me Wathier got a monster shiner and spent his 5 minutes with the ice bag pressed to his face. Oh snap!

Overall though, there were moments of just beautiful hockey in this game, especially on the PK. I was commenting to the guys that a good penalty kill just takes my breath away and that happened more than once. But there were also moments of "Hey, why is the dump and change back? Booo!!!" Regardless, it was a terrific game and I can't imagine anybody went home feeling short-changed in the entertainment department, which is especially great when it's in front of the second largest crowd of the season.

Anyway, linking you out to Royal's blog (with lots of good stuff on Foster) and Andrew's article in the Chron.

2 comments:

BReynolds  February 22, 2009 at 8:46 PM  

Can we have Fozzie back now, please?

Ms. Conduct  February 23, 2009 at 1:39 AM  

Don't be greedy man, you'll get him!

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP