Friday, February 13, 2009

What has happened to Carey Price?

Photo courtesy of Fred Trask

I'll be honest, I don't watch Habs games unless there's nothing else on. But it's difficult to escape the sound of salty tears hitting the ice around the blue paint up there. Pricer is melting down in an epic fashion and, man, is that tough to watch.

Kelly Hrudey had some interesting things to say about it last weekend. His compassion for Price seems genuine and heartfelt. So much so that I think I'm crushing on him a little. Finally, an age-appropriate hockey crush! Oh wait. Never mind. He's like 14 years older than me. Dammit! But still, if anybody wants to buy me the new King's third with a Hrudey #32 on it for my birthday, I'd totally dig that.



Anyway, the kid's in deep shit at the moment, but I'm certainly sympathetic to his plight. And it appears that his coach has decided to just make him work through it as he seems to be playing most games and never getting pulled. I dunno. Crazy stuff.

And it only increases my thoughts of, "And Backstrom isn't signed yet, WHY?" I mean really. Who is more solid than Nik Backstrom? Who gives up a goalie who WANTS to be in Minnesota, WANTS to re-sign, ISN'T a headcase, and has some of the BEST stats in the league.

Further, I'm in a tizzy about our goaltending depth in the Wild organization. Dimples isn't having a great year and isn't even the #1 goalie on his own ECHL team. Brusty is in the doghouse and possibly the toilet. Next year could be very interesting. If the Wild don't pick up a goalie in the first round next yearthis summer, they done screwed the fuck up, as we say back home.

3 comments:

BReynolds  February 13, 2009 at 1:04 PM  

ho doesn't sign Backstrom? Doug Risebrough, that's who. After all... it's the defense, not the goalie... right?

I'm with on screwing up with no depth at goalie. Risebrough has pretty much made it clear the only position on the ice that matters to him is the D. So... no scoring, and just throw whoever in the net. We'll be fine because we have strong defensemen.

Working pretty well so far. (/sarcasm)

NETminder1  February 13, 2009 at 1:15 PM  

I'll tell you what ms.C, DR better get this straightened out. Harding is not a #1 goalie, although he played good last night. I have a friend, who will remain nameless, that used to be the video coach with the Wild. He said the only reason Harding was there was because he's left handed. He also mentioned there was lots of talk whether or not Harding could handle the #1 duty if Backstrom got hurt. I don't know much about Schaefer or Brust but I think we should start a 'Resign Backstrom' campaign instead of the Calder/Buttercup deal.

Ms. Conduct  February 13, 2009 at 2:14 PM  

Net, I DO know Schaefer and Brust and I am on board with the sign Backs campaign. At this point, any injury to Backstrom ends playoff chances for both teams, IMO.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP