Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Prezzies for the Boys

To continue the holiday theme:

Even though I'm not a Hockey Ladies of Greatness (HLoG) member, it's a great site full of gals who love hockey and love their teams, so I keep a close eye on things there. They do a monthly Creative Challenge and this month it's to name the Christmas gifts you'd give the players on your team. That sounds like a totally stealable idea to me!

To Brusty, I'd give a blocker that matches the rest of his new gear, a trip to Worcester, and a shootout win.

To Stoner, I'd give the C permanently, a trip to Worcester, and some bubble wrap to encase himself in so he can have a healthy season.

To Alby, I'm just gonna skip the bubble wrap and go right to full on goalie gear for my favorite shot-blocker.

To Kolanos, an NHL call-up where he actually gets to play. And more wins so we can see more smiles like this (photo courtesy of Fred Trask). He reminds me of the "two face" on Seinfeld. When the Aeros lose and he's grumpy... yikes. But when they win and he's rocking the ear to ear grin and feeling like the sun never sets on his empire... wow! I guarantee the Aerodynamics are sucking in their guts when that skates by.

To Schaefer, I'd give some starts. Great goalie but he's been sitting for a while. Would be nice for him to have some good numbers since this is a contract year.

To Kassian, a Gordie Howe Hat Trick.

To Scotty, some kind of anti-penalty protection shield so he can play all out without worry about stupid penalties getting called on him all the time just because his enormity magnifies everything he does.

To Schultzie, Morty and Olvecky, points. Lots of goals and assists.

To Love, a few more years in an Aeros jersey. I'm sold on Mitch and feel like the guy deserves a stable spot in the league.

To Rogers, last year's incredibly solid game. I think he's getting there but I feel for him that he's struggled so much the first quarter of the season. I want him to have call-up potential next season.

To Noreau, a picture of those eyes. Oh wait, that's what *I* want. Man, he's got some piercing peepers. Seriously, I want him to win some kind of offensive-defenseman award this season. I'm not even sure what the choices are in the AHL, but that's what I want.

To R. Hamilton, the ability to lay an open ice check without knocking yourself out for 2 weeks. Dude. You scared me. Stop that. Get better soon.

To Rosy, last year's confidence and strength on the puck and willingness to shoot. And then when that comes around consistently, he deserves appropriate recognition for that contribution. I felt he was a bit underappreciated last season.

To Locker, same as Kolanos... a cup of coffee or two. Just to see what happens. Plenty of smaller guys play in the NHL and he's proven that he's pretty durable.

To Mojzis, the gift of patience. I'm keeping my yap shut through the all-star break to give you time to adjust to this system and then this gift turns into a lump of coal.

To Deitsch, a permanent ticket to the AHL. You're rocking it out and deserve to be at this level.

To Ryznar, POINTS. Okay, even just A point. I'm not even upset about it... I just feel bad for the guy (who is getting razzed about it, I feel sure). Who plays that many minutes, and plays pretty well, too, and doesn't at least get an assist? Do we need to burn some sage in your locker and put a drop of holy water in your stick? Whatever we need to do, let's get it done.

And to some of my non-Aeros:

To Cal, this photo of Gretz, signed, "Hey tough guy, take off your f**king helmet. Merry Christmas, 99"

To Mikko, the friggin' C back!

To Avery, a roster spot with the Manitoba Moose (even though they've already said they don't want him). Might as well sink a ship that would help the Aeros come playoff time, yet we don't have to see them again all season.

The rest of you fellas, just because I don't mention you doesn't mean you aren't deserving. You're just harder to shop for. But since points are the currency of hockey, goals and assists for everyone! What else? Santa's always listening, despite what I said before.

9 comments:

Anonymous  December 17, 2008 at 11:13 AM  

Thanks. Always enjoy your blogticles and this one is icing on the cake. What about Kevin?

Ms. Conduct  December 17, 2008 at 11:29 AM  

Oh, how could I forget the coaches?

But gosh, I have no idea what to get KC... How about a Calder Cup championship in 2009. :)

For Troy Ward, a halo and wings. He was impossibly kind to me when I interviewed him my first time down to the locker room. I was so nervous, I was trying to say Constantine's name and couldn't remember it! ZOMG. Seriously, I was ready to skate Herbies for an hour if he asked me to. He was that nice.

I haven't met Luke Strand, so no clue on him either. Some polish for that chrome dome? :D

Anonymous  December 17, 2008 at 11:51 AM  

You know the way those guys work their gum during the game, maybe you could get them a gig on one of those world's strongest men shows where they pull a semi with their teeth.

They all seemed like good people during that early season Q&A with the fans. Wonder why there haven't been more of those? That was fun.

Ms. Conduct  December 17, 2008 at 11:59 AM  

I thought about gum. Maybe a lifetime supply of Stride. Between those guys and Lemaire, I bet there's a special gum budget in the Wild organization...

I missed that Q&A but it sounds like everyone enjoyed it. After listening to the Matt Miller interview and hearing how much work the coaching staff has to do after each game, I'm not surprised they don't do it more.

Sounds like they're up all night watching film and putting together coaching points for each guy. I'm not sure how they did it before they brought Miller on. It's here if you haven't heard it. Interesting stuff.

Anonymous  December 17, 2008 at 1:03 PM  

Wow, dig it. That's impressive isn't it. You can't help but admire a strong honest work ethic. So hearing that, we're lucky we got one in at all. Thank you coaches and staff and thanks Ms. Connie for the jump.

hipcheck  December 17, 2008 at 3:19 PM  

OMG that is a scary picture of Gretz!

Ms. Conduct  December 17, 2008 at 3:23 PM  

That's how he looks in my head all the time. I'll be burned on the Sherwood cross if I say any more...

hipcheck  December 17, 2008 at 3:47 PM  

Oh hey, say all you want. I am mad at him.

Jennifer Hammer  December 17, 2008 at 4:37 PM  

Stoner with a permanent C. I like the way you think.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP