Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Aeros v. Lake Erie Monsters - Game 35

I'll be honest. I'm a little shell-shocked by this game.

One minute, I'm exclaiming to Royal, "I may have to eat crow!" as Mojzis scored his second goal of the game, and I'm thinking maybe we'd be treated to a hat trick (I'm utterly embarrassed to admit that thought now, but y'all know I'm all about full disclosure of my stupidity).

The next minute, Noreau rings a hard shot off the post and all the oxygen leaves the building and the Monsters score a short-handed goal. And then in the ensuing 4 minutes, put 3 more goals past Brust.

It was like a tsunami... you're laying on a hammock, enjoying the breeze, drinking your mai thai, but then the ground rumbles on some distant continent and suddenly everyone's running for the exits and you're looking up at a 200 foot wave.


"WTF? Where'd that come from? I was having such a nice time!" *glug*

Constantine pulled Brust for the man advantage with more than 3 minutes left. The guys fought their asses off to close the 3 goal lead held by the Monsters, but that's a long time to defend an empty net and the Monsters finally broke through for an empty net goal.

You never want to make excuses. That's so unhockeylike, but let's be realistic: This was their fourth game in five days, with ultimately 7 games in 9 days before a three day "break," after which they have another four in five all on the road. I don't care what kind of badass you are, that's gonna kick you in the nuts after a time. The mettle of this team is about to be tested as it hasn't yet been tested this season.

Never mind the injuries they're facing. Several guys aren't even going on the road trip, including Madsen, Stoner, and Lammers. While Rosa was out tonight, he's traveling and should play soon.

Anyway, some notes from the game:
  • Danny Irmen still plays for the Aeros! I know this because he actually contributed tonight! No points but I noticed him making shit happen tonight. Moreover, I *noticed him*! First time all season that's happened.
  • I've never seen a goalie jump straight up in the air to make a save, but I saw it tonight on a save by Monster's netminder Tyler Weiman. Weird.
  • The first period was so good. The Aeros were playing a tight, tight game and getting some chances. I couldn't believe they only had 4 shots in the period. It was some of the best hockey I've seen this season. Helped that the ref called almost nothing, so the pace was steady and exciting.
  • Both of Mojzis' goals were lasers from the point, almost the exact same spot. He had a very good game and I never once thought, "Gah! Mosey! You suck!"
  • Kassian fought some mountain-man looking dude called Penner. Edge went to Penner who pinned Kass's arm down, but it was clear that if he could have gotten loose, Kassian would have creamed him. Plus, he was much better looking than Penner and that counts for something in my book.
  • "God Bless America" was BACK! And we had to stand for it this time. Let's not make that a regular thing, okay, Aeros?
  • Scotty was also back. I guess Kimmy got his personal issues sorted out. Huge bummer for the big man to miss that call-up. Seems like I recall a story like that for Locke when he was with the Montreal organization... he got called up but his gear didn't make it so he didn't get to play. Man, being a minor league hockey player is just chock-a-block glamour, isn't it?
  • Here's Royal's blog on the game. And Andrew's Chron article.
Okay gang. That's all. Gotta get up tomorrow and make "Hockey Puck" brownies and "Hockey Stick" cookies for our Winter Classic gathering on Thursday.

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP