Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Quick Hits: Mudbugs get the moral victory; Cal breaks the hit record and scored; Pouliot sits

Well, that was a fun time! Our seats were terrible, right behind the Mudbugs bench, but it gave my parents a chance to learn about the back-up goalie's very important job of minding the door. And how they're all sniffing smelling salts before the game. And see the angry coach up close. But not much hockey to be seen from there. Why would anybody sit there except puck bunnies?

First intermission, we moved up high and actually got to see hockey. They really enjoyed it and said they could see why I like it so much, so I accomplished my overarching goal for the night.

Texas scored 2 in the first and one nearly off the first face off in the second, so our pal, the back-up goalie, got in and played much better than his partner. The Bugs came back to get the score within one but just couldn't get the puck in the net to tie it up. Boy, that's a familiar feeling...

They throw the crawdads on the ice after every goal. Dad even said, "Gosh, they should throw crawdads after goals like Detroit and their octopus." Lo and behold... there they go flying.

Lots of chants they do, too. I'm guessing they're pretty standard ones as I recognized parts of them from what I've heard Gopher fans talk about, but didn't know them all. Very dedicated fan base, which was awesome to see. They all knew the chants and most jerseys were Mudbugs jerseys.

Terrible intermission games though.. first one was literally 3 guys with yellow pages having to look up some business. And they were unsuccessful as far as I could tell. WTH? Second was 3 ladies in a gift wrapping race. Gave them two boxes to wrap so one lady wrapped both boxes up together and was pretty angry when she didn't win. LOL Had to agree with her... they never said each had to be wrapped individually.

Anyway, good stuff. Nice to see live hockey after the Aeros being gone for a while. I start to come out of my skin a bit when I don't get to see live hockey for a while. I'm already dreading summer.

----------------

So, Cal broke the Wild record for most hits in a season in only his 29th game of the season. He's 5th in the league (behind Lucic, Orpik, AO, & Brown) in hits but 32 (!) hits ahead of the nearest fellow rookie. It's like if Costco sold PAIN, there'd be a shelf full of Clutterbucks. PAIN in nearly embarrassing volumes at a discount prices.

He also tipped in his third goal of the season off a shot from Gaby. I haven't watched the game yet, but I've got it Tivo'd so that's next on the agenda before sleep.

Good little interview with Cal about 1/4 of the way into the post game broadcast and again, his articulation of what he brings to the game is just excellent. Anybody who thinks he's "just hitting" out there doesn't get it. Here's hoping he gets home for a quick visit with mom and dad. Helluva young man you've got there, Mr & Mrs C.

---------------------------

Benny got yanked by Jock today. As I mentioned in Russoville, at some point, the coaches are going to get tired of having to shame him into playing his best. That or it's simply going to stop working.

How many times have we heard this quote from Pouliot (as said to Russo Tuesday)?

“Mario gave a pretty good run there after practice,” Pouliot said. “I haven’t been playing my best hockey the past six, seven games, that’s for sure. I had a bad game against St. Louis and now I’m paying for it by not playing.
“It’s [Lemaire’s] decision, and I can’t change that unless I work hard. That’s what I’m going to try to do.”
Try? TRY?

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP