Monday, December 22, 2008

Quick Hits: Wild cookies, Nut terror, Mud Bugs

My Boogie-loving friend, BandGeek, unwittingly became my hockey cookie surrogate today by making cookies for the Wild boys, including Cal, so I asked for a photo to share. See? There's green Boogie, green Cal, green Mikko, green Burnzie and some of the other boys.

Maybe I'll whip up some hockey cookies for the little New Year's Day gathering for the Winter Classic. After seeing BG's cookies and the fantastic sticks Schultzie made for her Tri-boys, I'm itching to bake something!

ETA: OMG! Look at this, and this, and THIS! Oh, I want!

-------------

Wysh and his disciples are still going on about Crosby punching Boris "And Natasha" Valabik in the nuts. I'm highly amused by the consternation over this meaningless occurrence and couldn't help but poke the mass of squirming boys in the ... comments.

Honest to god, one punkass former Chicago Wolves player gets a punch in the junk that he doesn't even feel and suddenly the inconsistencies in the league's punishment "policies" are the most heinous thing ever. Look fellas, relax. Shit happens in hockey fights. Fists fly and if all you're gonna give a guy is your ass in the air, well, those fists are gonna hit what you present.

Here's the bottom line. If you weren't already screaming about the NHL's whack-job policing, then this incident shouldn't be the thing to get you screaming. It was just an errant couple of punches in a line brawl that hurt nothing except maybe Sid's fist. (I'm assuming he has very soft, delicate hands, anyway.)

-----------------

I'm going tomorrow night to Shreveport to see the Bossier-Shreveport Mud Bugs play the Texas Brahmas. I don't know any of the players, particularly since the Aeros have kept Jason Deitsch up from Texas, but I'm excited to take my parents to their first pro hockey game. Here's hoping for a good crowd, plenty of scoring, and a good fight or two.

I'm even wearing my Wild jersey since I so rarely get to wear it anymore. I may even take my camera and go all out in my fan nerdiness. Maybe I'll even buy a t-shirt. Somehow it seems like really hard core hockey fan to have some Shreveport Mud Bugs gear, right? How awesome is that logo?

12 comments:

BReynolds  December 22, 2008 at 4:55 PM  

I am jealous. Here in "The State of Hockey" we have the Wild and the Gophers... after that it is high school.

No other pro teams short of a drive to Chi Town.

Maybe I'll have to push to go to some more high school games. at least it's hockey, right?

Oh... and the cookies look tasty BG...

BReynolds  December 22, 2008 at 4:59 PM  

i posted over in Russoville, but they are so entranced by the Kovalchuk BS, no one answered...

I am going to get my roslton jersey redone to a new player...

Do I go with the strong and steady number 9 Koivu jersey almost certain to last for years to come, or do I go with C-Buck and all of the fun that would bring?

BReynolds  December 22, 2008 at 5:01 PM  

I see your reply over there now... never mind. I just need to learn how to read, and we'll be all set.

KiPA - Kevin in PA  December 22, 2008 at 5:33 PM  

Ms. C, you're not a Penguins fan. Doesn't that prohibit you from defending Crosby?

Ms. Conduct  December 22, 2008 at 5:41 PM  

Yep, Buddha, I love watching the high school boys play before our novice league games. Our dressing room is right behind the net so I wait as long as I can to go in the room so I can watch the goalie. :)

Good luck with the jersey thing. I could never decide. I would think you'd need pretty broad shoulders to pull of Clutterbuck though.

Kevin, I'm not but I like the kid. I like him all the more because people get bent out of shape at him for doing stuff that most everyone in the league does. Also, I think it's hilarious when guys get all Mama Bear about their balls. Nothing incites such overwrought, unified passion from men.

Fred Trask  December 22, 2008 at 6:08 PM  

It was chicken shit and shows what a girly man Sidney is. MEN don't punch men from behind in the junk. And the league is showing what a joke it is by not having called a 3rd man in and not follwing up with discipline. (Even if Sid ain't much of a man)

You think if Boogie or Clutter did that to Sid that there would simply be a roughing call?

Hey Sid, you think Malkin would go all girly like that? Next we'll see hair pulling and slap fights.

Fred Trask  December 22, 2008 at 6:19 PM  

And I meant Ovechkin, not Malkin but eh ...

Ms. Conduct  December 22, 2008 at 6:24 PM  

But to answer your question, Fred, I don't think that's a fair comparison. Boogie and Cal wouldn't have pretty much missed and looked so lame doing it. They would have gotten in there and caused some pain, if not damage. Give 'em some credit, will ya?

Okay, so here's my impression: Haven't you ever been sort of physically and mentally separated where your body is just reacting and your brain isn't entirely on board? I felt like that in goal the other night. It wasn't "think and move" it was just "MOVE!!!!" And I can see where you'd have a similar experience in a brawl like that. Where you're just swinging and whatever gets hit, gets hit. I seriously don't think Sidney was thinking, "Oh, look! Valabik Balls! I'm gonna punch that now."

I think it's much too much ado about nothing. And yet here I am egging it on.

Fred Trask  December 22, 2008 at 8:26 PM  

Well you're speaking of the actions of Si, I'm speaking of the actions of the league.

Sid's actions speak to his character, we all do things in "the moment" we may not be proud of but I hope if I had character I'd man up after the fact and face some shame.

My point with Derek and Cal is that the league has a SERIOUS integrity problem by sweeping this away and not dealing with it. It was an open and shut case of 3rd man in from what I saw. Plain and simple.

The shot to the jewels is something Sid should address.

Ms. Conduct  December 22, 2008 at 9:43 PM  

Okay, now I agree, Fred. I cannot believe STK hasn't come out and said something about it. In fact, I just kind of assumed he had, but I guess not.

But I still look at what Darcy Tucker did (tried to do) to Nick Schultz and the league basically said, "So?" and then I look at what STK did. Relatively (as it pertains to the league), those incidents are are not just in different ballparks, they are different sports altogether.

That Tucker thing is the standard to which I measure all other idiocy by the league.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP