Sunday, August 17, 2008

Weekly Nerve Report

So, in good news, I found my beloved bottle of Xanax that I thought was lost forever. The good/bad news is that my hockey nerves didn't kick in until about 4 today and we hit the ice at 7:15. So, I'm just gonna have to find my own zen.

Tonight we have Andrea doing another power skating class, and really, that's what I'm most anxious about. I don't want to badmouth her because she really does know her stuff, but she's a hardass and I just don't really dig hardasses. I think every person has a different way in which they are optimally "reached" and her way (straightforward, humorless) just sets me on edge and makes me nervous and intimidated.

I've been trying to coach myself through it a bit by telling myself that I'm just there to learn. If I already knew how to do this stuff, then I wouldn't need the class. Also, I'm telling myself that I don't have to impress her (Lisa Simpson Syndrome). I just have to focus on ME and do my best.

It doesn't help that I didn't hit the ice at all this week.

*deep breath*

I wonder at what point I'll just look forward to playing rather than looking forward to being done playing for the week. Probably when I have a lot more confidence in my skating skills. Hey, good thing there's a skating skills class tonight! (See there?)

Okay, time to get ready. Damn. I just remembered I meant to go buy a bigger water bottle this week with a straw on it. Oh well. Next week.

2 comments:

hipcheck  August 17, 2008 at 7:45 PM  

I always liked teachers/managers who could adjust their style to fit with the types of students/employees they have. Like, ones that really know how to read people. That's how I like to think I used to be when I taught dance/managed people. But I may be waaaay off in my assesment of myself. :)

Life_As_A_Redhead  August 18, 2008 at 6:52 PM  

I always try to conform my teaching style to the students learing style. I know a lot of times I fail, but I try. My big issue is people who don't try. I mean, how self important are you to say "you must learn the way I think you should learn". Lets be flexable here. It works better for both that way.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP