Thursday, August 14, 2008

Shaver Out

Looks like Aeros broadcaster, Jason Shaver, is moving on to the hated Chicago Wolves broadcaster booth. I'm surprised and sad, but I totally get it. The Wolves appear to be an excellent organization and they broadcast all their games on television, so this is a step up for him from the Aeros (somewhat cheesy but totally lovable) radio broadcast.

But personally, I'm pretty bummed. I listen to EVERY game if I can't be there in person, so his voice is tattooed on my brain. And the fact that he's going to the Wolves is even worse. It's like Gabby going to Colorado or something. Blech.

I'll be happy for him at some point, assuming I like the new voice of the Aeros, so here are some fond memories I have of "Razor" from this past season:

  • I loved him with a player in the booth providing some color. His dry wit played off some of the boys really well. Especially the goalies. Both Brusty and Schaefer were terrific foils for Jason's style of delivery. The game or two where all three of them were "in the booth" practically required a 2 drink minimum, they were so funny.
  • I liked how he wrapped up his introduction of each game, where he posed a question and then said, "We'll find out tonight... together... on Aeros Audio" or something along those lines. Always felt kind of warm to me.
  • He was also very fan-friendly, taking e-mails during the game either for himself or the player with him, and he was always very diplomatic while still getting across sometimes a less than diplomatic point.
  • I remember the game, though I don't remember what arena, where the Zamboni came out and chewed a big hole in the ice delaying the hgame for what seemed like 40 minutes or more and he just had SO much air time to fill. It was to the point of, "PLEASE send in questions!" LOL But he handled it with grace and humor.
  • His relationship with Joel "The Landlord" Ward was particularly funny, too, as Joel was a moth to a flame when Jason's recorder was rolling. I wondered what he was going to do without Joel there to fill so much airtime on the game-day podcasts. Someone else's problem now, though Kassian seems like the new go-to guy for a funny quote.
That's all for now, but a big shout out to Jason for providing such great interviews throughout the season, keeping this obsessed fan as informed as possible, and calling the games in such a way that I really don't feel like I missed any games this year, even when I couldn't be there in person. What more can you really ask for from your broadcaster? Godspeed, Shave!

If you want to listen to some of Shaver's interviews throughout the season, go here.

4 comments:

hipcheck  August 14, 2008 at 2:09 PM  

Losing "the voice" can be hard. We were all sad when Curt Keilback was fired and not sure who could fill his shoes. Straits came in and quite made up for losing Curt. So hopefully, this works out for you!

Life_As_A_Redhead  August 14, 2008 at 5:01 PM  

If you don't mind, what is the station (and their call letters) that the games broadcast on. I wonder if I can stream it on the internet? I never even thought about checking the internet before, duh.

Ms. Conduct  August 14, 2008 at 5:06 PM  

Yeah, Red, when I listen, it's on the internet feed: http://1070knth.townhall.com/

It's pretty reliable. And I would say the announcer is great, but I can't say that now!

Life_As_A_Redhead  August 15, 2008 at 1:08 PM  

Thanks, and pretty much the only hockey I get is on the radio, and the only radio I get, is on the internet. (Laughs)

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP