Monday, July 14, 2008

This, that, the other

Got my new stick ordered from Ice Warehouse. Returned the other stick to the pro shop. Though that was a bit of an ordeal because the only person working was a kid who didn't know how to process a credit card return. Poor guy was calling everyone, looking through the procedure manual, etc. He was frazzled but persistent and finally found someone who answered their phone AND knew how to talk him through it.

Of course, it's a hike to get out there, so I wasn't leaving until he'd literally tried everything. But he got it done and gave it a little fist pump to celebrate (all the young guys working there are hockey players). Good kid. :)

*************

There's a great show on the NHL Network each day called Hockey Academy. Goes through little lessons on skating, puck handling, stuff like that. It's geared toward kids, but in skating years, I guess I'm about 5 years old, so it's all good. In fact, most of it is way too advanced for me. But it's good to watch. I've set up a season pass for it now that I'll be skating out. They don't do much goalie stuff so I didn't watch it regularly before.

**************

Game 1 of the Dallas/Anaheim series is on NHL Network tonight. I didn't get to see much of that series, so I'm catching up and also trying to watch the play

***************

If you've ever wondered how to tell the difference between a Fangirl and a Puckbunny, this should help. It's an old post but I just found it today and enjoyed the discussion. My favorite quote is by SportSquee's Margee. She perfectly sums up my perspective with her usual aplomb.

"fangirls love everything about the game and puck bunnies just like one thing. Fangirls aren't just wooed by a pretty face. Fangirls are invested in a way that men can't understand. The personality of the player, the style of game, the leadership, it all plays into who one is a fangirl for. Fangirls love the game first, and tend to love the player who loves it in the way that she does. Fangirls pick and choose who they adore. A puckbunny will take anyone in a sweater. To the fangirl, a cute dude is just another variable that enhances being a fan, like loving the jersey of a particular team. It's just icing on the cake."
Bringing this up is apropos of nothing really. Just hockey talk.

******************

I think that's it. Turco is awesome.

2 comments:

Life_As_A_Redhead  July 15, 2008 at 7:14 PM  

First of all thanks for the "puckbunny" link. Even my dad (yes, I still live within 2 miles of my parents, and spend most evenings with them) thinks that about me to some extent. But since hockey isn't his thing that's OK. He takes me seriously about Football & NASCAR though.

I have been in the same position as you were with your stick. Only mine was with a laptop computer, and I had a 120mile round trip. No way was I leaving either. I'm not sure I didn't kinda scare the kid with my determination.

You are so lucky to get the opportunity to skate, and to have your own team to go watch. Even if it is an minor team.

Ms. Conduct  July 16, 2008 at 12:06 AM  

Oh dear. Mine wasn't anything like 120 miles (more like 25).

Heh. I'm watching the second game of the Dallas/Anaheim series. Of all the goalies in the league, I love to see Giggy scored on more than all the rest. Top shelf, bitch! HA! (Man, I hate the ducks.)

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP