Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Mascot, anyone? and other stuff

I subscribe to the NHL and AHL job listings because I'm sure that some day some team will need my services and I will jump on that shit like you wouldn't believe. :) Anyway, they're almost all related to sales (no thanks) but occasionally there's an interesting one. Today, the San Antonio Rampage are looking for a Mascot... who will apparently report to someone called the Manager of Mascot Development. Check it out. If this isn't the most overthought job description for the silliest job, I don't know what is. I mean, seriously. Manager of Mascot Development?? Someone out there has this on their resume.

********

So, I went to Hockey Monkey and picked out all of my gear except gloves and a stick. A whopping $418. *choke!* I am in full freak out mode about skating out. Been on the verge of a panic attack (and of course, I can't find my xanax anywhere) for two days now. Not sure what I need to do to wrap my head around this and be excited. The ONLY time I feel something other than anxiety about it is when I think about how much it will improve my skating and how much faster that will get me between the pipes.

But I think I'm just having an anxious time right now anyway and that's coloring my usual enthusiasm. Been a while since I dug myself into a little panic hole. Haven't missed the feeling, but I guess I was due for it.

My back is bothering me again, though a little bit differently. It kept me up last night though, and of course, sleep deprivation on top of anxiety isn't helping me any.

Ugh. I'm a mess. Just ignore me.

11 comments:

Nick in New York  July 8, 2008 at 10:14 AM  

just remember that skater skates are pitched differently than goalie skates.

You will feel all off-balance the first time you step on the ice going from goalie skates to skater skates.

Ms. Conduct  July 8, 2008 at 10:28 AM  

Thanks Nick. I've actually been training in skater skates though, so the actual skating part doesn't freak me out too bad. (I'm far clumsier in my goalie skates, actually... god those things are like clown shoes!)

It's more the issue of not having a CLUE how to play hockey. I can watch hockey and I know what's going on as a whole, but the decision making process for an individual player is totally foreign to me. Save selection, angles, positioning, I get. Where to be on the ice as a player? No clue. But hey, that's why I'm learning, right? :)

Life_As_A_Redhead  July 8, 2008 at 1:13 PM  

Most of the job openings are in sales, huh. How do you subscribe to the list?

Marketing research is pretty much what I do.

Don't worry about all the different stuff. Try thinking about all the things that are the same (or at least correlate) between the two positions (i.e. think about each situation from both points of view).

Ms. Conduct  July 8, 2008 at 3:52 PM  

I just went here:
http://theahl.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/jobs/default.cfm

and here:

http://hockeyjobs.nhl.com/teamwork/jobs/default.cfm

and added them to my Google Reader where I read all the blogs I subscribe to.

Nick in New York  July 8, 2008 at 4:02 PM  

ms. conduct: I go to this camp in Minnesota in the summer called lifetime hockey (lifetimehockey dot com). it's for adult, no-check, beginner to low-intermediate, co-ed hockey players.

It's a camp for skaters, but I go as a goalie (ostensibly to make the skaters' experience better for shooting on live goalies).

I would recommend this camp to you in a heartbeat. Definitely as a skater, but even as a goalie after you get a little experience under your belt.

shoot me an email for more info.

Ms. Conduct  July 8, 2008 at 4:14 PM  

Sounds like heaven on earth, Nick. I'll check it out and make a note of it. Thank you!

hipcheck  July 8, 2008 at 9:26 PM  

Ok, I am a lil annoyed about the mascot manager thing. The coyotes cut the pack dancers (and I happen to like them, even tried out last year) to save money. Why the hell does their affiliate have a mascot manager? How frickin fracking hard can it be to be a mascot and couldn't another employee take on the added responsibility of mascot manager? And how much do the coyotes paid this mascot manager? Do the coyotes have one too, or do they share?

Ms. Conduct  July 9, 2008 at 1:08 AM  

I dunno. It sounds like they manage the Rampage mascot as well as the Spurs mascot. Not sure why that's a full time job. The whole thing boggles my mind...

Life_As_A_Redhead  July 9, 2008 at 1:31 PM  

Since I actually work with some of this kind of stuff, I'm guessing that there's a person with lots of dumb titles. Who basicly takes care of all the loose ends. I've been that person...

Ms. Conduct  July 9, 2008 at 2:47 PM  

That would actually make a lot of sense, Red. Good point. :)

hipcheck  July 9, 2008 at 2:56 PM  

ahhh, if they are part of the spurs organization, that's ok. As long as the yotes aren't footing the bill! But yah, I still can't see how that would be a full time job? I dunno. I didn't read the job description but the job title is still quite silly.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP