Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Captain?

Being a Wild fan AND an Aeros fan, I have to say, I really prefer a year-long captaincy that most teams (including the Aeros) have vs. the rotating captaincy that the Wild have. If only to avoid the repeated threads of "Who should be the captain this month?" and the inevitable answer of "Backstrom!" to which 5 people pull out the rule book about how goalies can't be captains and blah blah blah.

But anyway... now that we have the main guys on the team signed and securely back in the fold, I've begun to wonder about who the Aeros captain might be this year. It was Reitz last season, and he's now moved on to Minnesota. The alternates were Kelly and Payer and they're gone. Ward filled in when Kelly went up to Minny, and now he's gone, too.

The thing is, you can tell who is a leader on the ice, but not so much in the locker room.

If I had to guess, I'd say Stoner. He certainly leads by example on the ice, he's been with the team for a while, good team guy, good character guy (it seems).

I'd love to see Clutterbuck get an A. And if he gets called up to Minny and sticks, it's not a big deal to pass the torch to someone else. I'd say I'm not sure it's appropriate for someone with an agitating style like his to be in that role, but he wore the A back in juniors and I think he was even more off the hook back then, so there's at least a precedent for it.

Plus, there's something kind of satisfying about having a guy who opposing teams and fans thinks is a colossal asshole, and yet our team has seen it fit to say, "We like him. He represents us. FU." Hah! Maybe we should just put FU on his chest. Heh.

Not sure about the second A. Might go to one of the new guys. Locke? Lundy? Guess it depends on how the chemistry is shaping up in training camp. Maybe Hamilton or Irmen? Schultz? Remains to be seen, I guess.

************
Have I mentioned how awesome Marty Turco is? Watching game 2 of the Anaheim series and I don't know how Giggy isn't down there crying under his mask at his miserable inferiority.

************
My gear comes tomorrow. My new stick comes on Thursday. Hopefully it will get here before I go to spinning tomorrow night. I finally did the yoga I was going to do Sunday tonight. Lazy bitch... meh.

4 comments:

Jennifer Hammer  July 16, 2008 at 1:27 PM  

Clayton Stoner wore an "A" during juniors too. He should totally be captain.

Ms. Conduct  July 16, 2008 at 1:42 PM  

Well then, I'd say it's a consensus!

BTW, he's signed now.

Jennifer Hammer  July 16, 2008 at 2:36 PM  

oh GOOD!! I'm glad he signed.

by the way, Cal Clutterbuck is the best name in hockey. EVER. just throwing that in there.

Ms. Conduct  July 16, 2008 at 2:41 PM  

And he is every bit as awesome as his name.

Not sure how we got so lucky as to have two of the best names in hockey on our team in Stoner and Clutterbuck, but I'll take it. :) I just wonder what kind of razzing they get at away games.

You can always tell the newbies to Aeros games because they're so tickled by Stoner's name and have to bellow it out a few times. Dudes. Get over it.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP