Saturday, July 5, 2008

Augh! Stupid back!

Why is it that every time I'm feeling really strong and good and am making strides and looking forward, my body says, "HA HA!" and gets all jacked up on me?

My upper back was aching a bit after skating Thurday, but nothing that I couldn't deal with, though it was still feeling achy Friday morning. Well, after a VERY jarring boat ride on a choppy lake yesterday, I was in tears when I woke up this morning from the pain in my neck/back as stiffness settled in overnight.

I think the tears were more about the frustration of inevitable delays in my progress (I don't see myself skating for the next few days unless some miraculous happens, and even a week off the ice sets me back pretty dramatically) rather than the pain. But I'm doing up the Tylenol and resting as much as I can and DH is being very nice and taking care of stuff around the house for me and feeling sorry for me (which, for an attention whore such as myself, is the best medicine).

I've got game 4 of the Wild/Anaheim playoff series from 2007 queued up and a comfortable spot to lay down, so that's my plan for the rest of the afternoon.

4 comments:

Life_As_A_Redhead  July 5, 2008 at 4:56 PM  

Have you checked your form on your upper back exercises. If not, have a knowledgable person watch you. I do the same thing, on overhead presses. I cheat like a MF with my upper back, instead of using my delts, like I should.

Ms. Conduct  July 5, 2008 at 5:12 PM  

Oh honey, you're assuming I *do* upper back exercises.

Life_As_A_Redhead  July 5, 2008 at 8:06 PM  

My brother reccomended shrugs for upper back. Remember a balanced workout is the key.

I'm doing circit training right now, with mostly bodyweight excercises. So far, it's working well.

I wish I could run more, but I have to take pretty much every other week off from that, because I have recurring knee pain, in my left knee.

Ms. Conduct  July 5, 2008 at 9:21 PM  

Thanks, I'll add shrugs to my upper body routine. I don't belong to a gym so it's just whatever I can do with weights at home. Plus I'm not very patient, so I have to keep the routine short or I'll avoid it more than I already do.

As the pain is getting less "radiant" and I can pinpoint where it's coming from, it seems to be a result of the death grip I had on the "oh shit" bar during the bouncy part of the boat ride. The irritation is on one side of my upper back, the death grip side. :)

I did a bit of my yoga routine this evening and that seems to have helped a bit. My pain reliever didn't crap out on me at exactly 4 hours. Also helped that we went out to dinner and discussed the Hockey Vacation we're going to do this winter. Can't wait for the NHL schedule to come out so I can plan it! Gonna go to Minnesota and just wallow in the hockey lovin' for as long as DH will let me. Ahhh... my people.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP