Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sampler Platter

Man, I hate not playing on Sunday nights. I feel restless and antsy. That's my net and my team. I hate it. They start in just a few minutes. :(

But I have to listen to my body better than I have in the past. This knee has been nagging since Thanksgiving. I've been to the chiropractor and I'm not sure he helped. May try a massage this week. Definitely going to do some yoga and try and get stretched out a bit better.

Thanks so much to Scotty for filling in for me, and to K for giving him a hall pass.

It was kind of annoying me to watch these NHL games tonight though. Goalies having fun while I'm at home browsing knee braces online. Craaaaaaaap.

----------------

I love when guys get misconducts in a game. Because in my narcissistic mind, I honestly have a split second of thinking, "Oh! Ms. Conduct! I'm Ms. Conduct!" It makes me smile.

I'd love to be up to some misconduct this week. Who wants to get drunk and tell inappropriate stories a little too loudly for being in public?

----------------

"Perry will feather it in for the Ducks." Heh. Cute.

----------------

Went out in the garage tonight with my outdoor puck and my glove and blocker and whacked it around a bit until my stick arm was burning. (Oh stop being dirty.) Gave it a rest and went out again later. Was hoping that would scratch my goalie itch. It didn't, but it's something I need to do more often.

I actually think I made a little progress, at least in terms of hand placement of my glove. I hold it Turco-style (fingers forward/up rather than down) and find that if I get lower and put the pressure at the top of the paddle rather than on the stick right above where the paddle starts as I had been doing, the blade is more stable on the ice and I can get a pretty good shot off. Otherwise, I end up just sweeping the heel of the stick and the rest whiffs the puck. Yuck.

Still can't get any lift, but even getting a good low shot off would be a big improvement for me in this area. Looking forward to getting on the ice again and trying it out with the added height of skates and slipperiness of ice and bulk of my gear.

------------------

Did I tell you, the other day, I played against a goalie who was using a wrong-handed stick? Funneled those pucks right into the net. Awesome.

------------------

When I was a little girl, I played soccer a year before the age at which there were all-girl teams, so I was the only girl on an all-boys team.

Anyway, there was this little boy named Chase who, every time he kicked the ball, he would fall down. I think he just liked the drama of it, which I thought was silly at the time, but I sort of appreciate nowadays.

The Ducks' Bobby Ryan reminds me of that kid. Seems like every time he scores a goal, it comes with a flying leap or slide into the boards on the follow through. That fucker has burned my Aeros so many times when he was in the AHL that I really have no love for him, but that part of his game amuses me.

----------------

Had a dream Friday night that the Aeros moved to Des Moines. And I didn't much care in the dream. I guess Friday's crappy game found me in my sleep, huh?

----------------

Dear Twitter,

Please make a way for me to "Hide" somebody's tweets without unfollowing them.

Thanks,

Ms. Bitchy

------------------

I love pro goalies who share a little of themselves on Twitter. It's so superficial but it's fun to get a sense of them "in the moment" in their lives. Dan Ellis (http://twitter.com/dellis39) and Mike McKenna (http://twitter.com/mikemckenna56) are the two most active I've found and therefore, my favorites.

Ellis had me laughing today with this series of tweets that trickled in through the early evening:


I mean, really. That's funny. And this is after him tweeting this morning that he gets his massages at the mall.

Come on. I don't even do that. Get a real MT, Danny.

-----------------

Okay, I think I'm finally drained of the little tidbits that have been rattling around my head.

6 comments:

Nick  January 18, 2010 at 3:24 PM  

I read on one of your earlier posts that you had difficulty totally straightening one of your legs. I'm hoping to God you don't have a meniscal tear like I did awhile back.

The key to elevating the puck is 1) rolling your wrists and most importantly 2) ensuring the puck is traveling the length of your stick blade going heal-to-toe. Once you get the feeling from doing this a few times, you'll be lifting the puck with no problems at all. Good luck and let me know if this helps! Props to you for mastering the Marty Turco style, I just don't feel comfortable with that positioning.

So the goalie you saw was 'full right' or he was actually using the curve based on his handedness? Funny either way, but you know what they say about trying to hold your stick with your other hand ... :D

A soccer player that was being dramatic by falling down? Don't think I've heard/seen that one before! ;-)

Ms. Conduct  January 18, 2010 at 4:47 PM  

I'm not even sure what that means to roll my wrists, but I'll get out and try it and see if I can do something that feels like rolling. Is this something that guys, um, inherently understand? Heh.

My knee is feeling a lot better today. I can actually kneel on it now, which I haven't been able to do for weeks without pretty bad pain.

AFA the Turco grip... I can't hold it any other way. Can't get any kind of leverage the other way. Feels impossibly awkward and no grip at all.

Yeah, he's a full right using a normal stick.

Snikpip  January 25, 2010 at 2:04 PM  

"Rolling your wrists": I believe that would be the same action as if you were turning a door knob. Like opening the door with your left hand using a counter-clockwise motion. As you know, I don't play hockey, but that action with the bottom stick hand would appear to me to be the way to get the puck elevated.

Ms. Conduct  January 25, 2010 at 2:18 PM  

You should be a coach, Snik!

Snikpip  January 25, 2010 at 2:23 PM  

I'd have to coach from the bench, or on my ass if I have to coach from the ice. Well, I can actually skate a bit (Just don't ask me to stop without assistance from the boards).
LOL! Word verification enessat. "En e ssat his ass on the ice 'cause he can't skate."

Snikpip  January 25, 2010 at 2:35 PM  

I actually tried that wrist-rolling thang with my Gustafson goalie stick. Worked reasonably well off the linoleum.

Should I start playing the lotto so I could afford to quit work and take goalie lessons?

I can see it now...Ms. Conduct vs. Snikpip, Mondays at the Aerodrome (I HATE that other name for the rink).

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP