Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sad bunny finds a smile

Watching the Gold Medal game. Would have made it home without knowing the result and that would have been fun, but some jerkoff wanders up to where everyone is standing around watching the high school team before us practice, and says, "USA beat Canada in the World Juniors."

There was a collective, "AUGH, I had that DVR'd! Thanks a lot!"

Really wasn't sure how this drop-in was going to go tonight. My third game in three nights, it really wasn't feeling very important to me, and I'd spent most of the evening before hockey fighting back sad bunny tears.


Last time I played a Tuesday drop-in in the midst of a pity party for myself, I was AWFUL. I was awful and I lost my cool and I drove home... not just crying... but WAILING. It was uuuuugly.

So I was wary. I knew I needed to just get absorbed in the game and honor the experience. It helped that one of my defensemen and I were talking before the game about what a blessing it is to get to play hockey. I nearly let loose the waterworks right then and there but just agreed with him and got back to stretching.

Also probably helped that stupid skaters crashed into me not once but TWICE during warm-ups. What the hell. Raise your head occasionally, dumbass. That got the adrenaline going though.

Started the game with the much more skilled Dark team shooting on me. I stopped the first shot and it was a good one, so I felt good. And from there, I was into it big time and the good play lasted the full 15 minute shift in that net, where I stayed very busy, and resumed when I got in net at the other end against the white team.

TWO rushes in a row, the white team dinged me HARD right in the mask with their shots. One of them kinda stung but I've had worse. Didn't bother me. But on the next rush (odd man, naturally) I start screaming, "AIM FOR THE HEAD! AIM FOR THE HEAD!"

They're all like, "WTF?"

And I'm thinking, "Oh shit, girl, you act like that, you better stop this thing."

I stopped it. :)

It was awesome.

I also pulled a Brusty and poke checked the REALLY good guy on the white team so thoroughly, I kept his stick in my crease and sent him flying into the boards. He was fine and had a big grin for me when he got up. I had a big grin for him, too.

In fact, my favorite thing tonight was just making those saves, and looking right at the shooter and smiling real big at 'em.

By the time I got down to the other end for my final 15 minute shift, the white team was getting a little tired and it was a lot of odd-man rushes. I held 'em off pretty well for a while, but the last 10 minutes they figured out to shoot high glove. Goal, goal, goal, goal. Rough, but that's okay.

It's still by far the best I've played this drop-in. And it was fast fast fast. The faster it was, the better I was. When it got slower near the end and the Dark guys had time to pick their spots rather than just having to get a shot off, that's when I got roasted.

Anyway, it was a blast and really nice to string two confident nights together without cratering under the weight of my own cockiness. The goal, of course, is to be cocky all the time and be able to stand behind it. Because it's waaaaaay the fuck more fun to be a cocky goalie. Sorry. That's just me being genuine. ;)




Oh! And big ol' PS here! I figured out why my freaking right pad is always jacked up. The hard padding in the front of the right leg of my pants is maladjusted somehow so there's a big lump on the front that pushes the pad inward on my leg. I dunno why it took me this long to figure out, but I finally did while I was standing around tonight.

So I'm gonna have to do some investigation and possibly surgery on my pants the front of my right leg flat like it is on the left leg. Isn't that weird? But I'm thinking it may fix my stupid pad flip problem! That would be awesome.

7 comments:

Goody  January 6, 2010 at 8:52 AM  

Congrats on the fun game. IMO, that's what it's all about for rec leaguers. "Aim for the head!" Classic. I love goalies that talk smack!

A couple posts or more back you mentioned a rip/cut/burn that needed repair. I successfully repaired a skate cut on my breezers using a hot glue gun (no glue). I simply used the hot tip to melt the nylon as I squeezed the two sides of the cut together. It's held up in games so far, but I don't know that I've washed them since the repair.

Ms. Conduct  January 6, 2010 at 9:42 AM  

Ohhh, clever on the glue gun! Yeah, i totally bet that would work! Thanks for the tip!

Nick  January 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM  

Aim for the head! God, I gotta try that. I thought I'd share a couple of my favs.

For the guys on the point who don't want to shoot at you when they should, yell "Be Selfish!!"

For the guys down low (or screening you) begging for the puck, whisper (or just loud enough for them to hear) ... "He can't hear you, yell louder" or "He's not a puck hog, he just doesn't like you".

Ms. Conduct  January 6, 2010 at 4:27 PM  

Oh man, if there's someone begging for the puck by me, I'm not talking, I'm working! I think my "aim for the head" was the first time I've ever really been vocal, other than talking to my defense, before the shot. I distinctly thought, "Oh boy are you stupid for saying that." I'm so relieved I made that save or I'd feel like such an ass. I mean, I AM an ass, but I don't care as long as I make that save.

That reminds me, I remember another save that I forgot because it was in the midst of all the goals against late at the end and I've developed a selective memory.

Stopped the guy with my glove at basically point blank range. He had his arms halfway raised to celebrate before he realized I'd stopped him and my d-man was already moving it back up the ice. BAHAHAH! Sucker. That was sweet. The white team laughed at him on the bench and he skates off making a jerk-off gesture while riding his stick. (This is the kind of class I deal with on Tuesdays.)

walkinvisible  January 6, 2010 at 5:57 PM  

if you're watching the game tonight, come on over to the gamethread at matchsticksandgasoline.com and hang !
x

Nick  January 7, 2010 at 10:24 AM  

LMAO ... you'll have to jerk one off back at 'em the next time you stone that guy! Sink to their level just long enough to f with them.

Ms. Conduct  January 7, 2010 at 10:37 AM  

OH NICK! I totally did! I stopped him a little later and did that with my trapper!

God I was such an ass Tuesday. Man, that was fun.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP