Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Quick Hits: Rapper's Delight

I've got my little superstitions. Nothing too crazy and some are just habits that I feel weird not doing.

But one of my bigger ones is that I won't wear another goalie's sweater to play goal in. Like if you gave me a goalie cut Brusty sweater, I'd totally love you forever, but I wouldn't wear it to play because I don't want whatever shitty goalie mojo I have jinxing him.

Who knows how detail oriented the hockey gods are? Maybe they get confused and punish him for something I did. I can't live with the uncertainty!

Anyway, I've got a thing about that and I just won't do it.

But then in my Google Reader, among all my AHL goalie news hits, I get this from Ebay.

Dare I test the theory?

Ha! Nahhh, not with MY $125+...

---------------------------

My knee is feeling better! I can kneel on it, it doesn't have that squishy "fluid on the joint" feeling anymore. I'm still aware of it, but I'm delighted to see any progress!

I'm so glad I was able to take Sunday off and really give it a rest. I had a dream last night that I could drop into the fly with no pain at all. Pretty sure that's still just a dream but I am going to bust out the Stretch-a-Flex tonight and see if I can get a really good stretch in.

So much for my wonderful plan of going for a massage this week, though, since my car is dead. Again. And Mr.C is out of town. Again. This is getting old quickly. At least there's a CVS in quick walking distance. I'm getting hungry.

----------------------------

So, I'm having this issue with my pads, you know, where the right one won't flip up a lot of times when I drop.

And then I notice that I'm having trouble keeping that pad centered on my leg. It wants to turn inward on me.

So, the other day, I'm standing around waiting to play and kinda thinking about this and trying to figure out, mechanically, what is going on here. Because when I shift my right pad over to where it should be, it pushes on the padding in the front of my pants.

I start feeling around to figure out why that's happening on one side and not the other and I discover the following:

The hard padding on the front of my pants is basically flat and about the width of my pads. On the left side, that flat surface matches up with the back of my pad just fine.

On the right side, however, the pants padding sits a little off center, turning inward. So, when my pad meets the front of my pants, it also shifts inward.

And when I straighten it back out, the pad is pushing on the curved outer edge of the pants padding, and eventually, invariably slips back off center again.

The drawing shows what it looks like when I shift the pad over to where it should be. The red area shows where the pad shifts back to when it's sitting naturally against the pants.

It doesn't seem like much but it's actually a pretty big difference.



I'm going to try lacing the pants up looser Sunday and see if that helps the pants sit differently on me. They're fairly loose now, but it's all I can think of to try, other than new gear. But if anybody has any ideas, let me know.

The good thing is, now I know it's not my knee pads screwing up my pad rotation, so those are coming back. I'm tired of slamming them on the ice.

Also, almost on the boobie drawing, right?! Shame I'm not having a problem with my chest protector....

4 comments:

Goody  January 21, 2010 at 7:27 AM  

If I'm understanding correctly, you think the leg pad is shifting because the pants pad isn't where it should be. Can you move the pants pad around in the pants, or is it fixed in place? I'm just wondering if you could push the pad in the pants over to where it should be and throw a few stitches around the edges of it to keep it in place. I'm assuming the pad is hard plastic so sewing through it isn't much of an option, but I'd think you'd be able to make it through the stuff surrounding it with a heavy needle.

Ms. Conduct  January 21, 2010 at 8:27 AM  

Yeah, you understand correctly. It's not fixed in place but there's no room to shift it over. The pocket of fabric it's in is pretty finite. I'd have to open her up and take down the outside edge of the padding (which does kind of appeal to the tinkerer in me... )

I'm also looking at the padding inside the leg to see if maybe something in there could shift around and make the pants lie differently.

Nick  January 21, 2010 at 10:01 AM  

I can't view your pics while I'm here typing this at work, but I would suggest posting your issue and pics on the forum at goaliestore.com. There's lots of other goalies there and likely someone has had the same issue and can help you. Good luck!

Ms. Conduct  January 21, 2010 at 10:25 AM  

Yeah, I always forget about the goalie store board. Must remember to do a search first so I don't get yelled at. *eye roll*

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP