Monday, March 16, 2009

Wow, what a night

I'm crazy tired but kinda amped up. Hoping writing about it will let me let it go.

So, you know I've had this issue with letting in the first shots on goal of the game. Well, not tonight, bitches. I completely shut the red team out in the first period and actually saw quite a bit more pressure than usual in the first.

But then the, "Wow, you're doing great!" "You've got your game face on tonight!" talk started. The stick taps to the pads. The thoughts of the S-word.

Yeah. You know where that's going.

Luckily I didn't see a lot of shots in the second but I let two of them in. I recall pretty much floating to the other end of the rink after the second and Jessica at center ice asking me how I was doing. I said, "I'm fantastic!" So I guess I was pretty happy with my effort in the second as well.

But the hockey gods, wise creatures that they are, decided to knock me down about 10 pegs. I think I let in every shot on goal in the third. 5 goals, one on the PK, a couple just me not being in the game, a couple that I don't know how I could have stopped them, at least where my skill level is at right now. It was ugly and I was really pissed on the last couple of goals. I even got a piece of the last one but it went off my blocker and in. Mother F**ker. I was just a sieve in the third.

And we lost 5-7. My first loss and it was all on me. Which is pretty disappointing after such an amazing start.

So, I walk away from this game feeling fantastic about the first 2/3rds and crappy about the final result. But, as usual, my teammates were awesome about it and congratulated me on a good game.

Even better, Jessica only got one goal, in the third period (natch) and had herself a big celebration about it. Which I actually kind of appreciated because I knew she was frustrated that I'd been stopping her. And she said, "You were pulling saves out of your ass tonight!" after the game. Heh. Yeah. For a while. That zone they talk about... I was in it. And it was a really good feeling. My downfall was when I started thinking too much and about the wrong things.

Anyway, off to bed with me. Everything hurts and I'm wiped out.

3 comments:

Nick in New York  March 16, 2009 at 8:15 AM  

ha..nothing like it. In the four years I've been playing goal I've had one legit shutout. One.

The number of times I've entertained the word "shutout" during a game such as the one you wrote about? Waaaaay more than one.

She's fickle, the Goalie Goddess...

walkinvisible  March 16, 2009 at 11:19 AM  

:(
that's how kipper feels, pretty much every night now.

Ms. Conduct  March 16, 2009 at 11:21 AM  

Yeah, hey, I beat Kipper! (Or did he get pulled in that 8 goal drubbing?)

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP