Friday, November 27, 2009

Strep, the new TV, and hockey

So it turns out I have strep throat. And it also turns out that strep is pretty goddamn awful. Have you had this before? Oh man. It's really painful... in the throat mostly, but also the coughing, the headache, heavy sinuses, swollen lymph nodes, aching ears. It's like if Clutterbuck was the common cold, strep is like Steve Ott. Hits you in the same places, but way dirtier.

I hate getting shots, but I would have gladly let them shoot me up with whatever they wanted if it meant I'd feel better sooner. I was fighting back tears at the doc-in-a-box Friday morning. And then I was nearly passed out on the floor because I hadn't eaten more than a few bites in the previous 36 hours and I guess my blood sugar hit the basement. Doc had to go find me some peppermint candies to suck on so I could walk out of there on my own.

I know. If everyone could just be as cool as me...

So, I've mostly been "sleeping" (in quotes because it hasn't been sleeping so much as lying around glassy-eyed and drooling and wishing for death) since Wednesday night. I did manage to put a turkey in the oven Thursday but Mr.C finally had to learn his way around the kitchen to get everything else done. He's been a trooper and I hope to God he doesn't pick this up from me.

On top of being Mr. Mom to me and the dog, he went to Costco by himself and bought us a new TV after my doc visit this morning. Our 60" Sony rear-projection set was dying a slow death of blue-pixilitis and the cost to repair it was more than just replacing the TV. So we gave it to a friend who is setting up house, and took advantage of a great Black Friday sale on on 55" Vizio LCDs. He got the second to last one. Phew!

Around 4 this afternoon, I finally felt human enough to help him lug the thing up to the living room. Man am I ever weak right now. That was a struggle. But we did it and, wow, is it a pretty picture! So much brighter and crisper than the rear-projection. Looks like people are going to walk right out of the screen. It's like discovering HD all over again. Remember that? The first time you saw HD? Especially football or hockey in HD? And you thought, "Wow, there is a God and He loves me."

Of course, the first hockey I saw on it was Turco getting lit up by Phoenix. How smug is Dave Tippett feeling?

I actually missed the Wild game completely today, as it came on while I was still comatose and I totally forgot it was an early game. Sounds like I missed a real doozie, so that kinda sucks. I'll just be glad when Mo-vember is over and the boys get back to more attractive facial hair. Mercy.

I watched most of the Aeros shootout loss to Syracuse, but started my hockey watching night with Brusty in net for the Everblades versus the Toledo Walleye. *shaking head* Nothing like Thanksgiving in Toledo. But let me tell ya, that barn was PACKED tonight! Either there is really nothing to do in Toledo or they are just mad for hockey. Or possibly both. Official attendance was 7000+. Not sure the Aeros, in a city of 4 million, would have drawn that tonight.

I spent most of Brusty's game yelling, "You call that forechecking?!" at his defense (in my head... my throat does not permit yelling at the moment). All three goals against were breakaways or odd man rushes, the last being a 3 on 1. Come on. But they got the win with some good scoring at the other end (including a goal that was very clearly kicked in, but allowed anyway, just seconds before the end of the second period).

Not much to say about the Aeros game because the feed was so choppy and freezy, I don't think I saw a single goal for either side. Kassian and Mirasty's fight was pretty epic though. Last time they fought, Kass "hung in there" IMO. This time, he won it. Not that the really got the better of Mirasty, who is truly as hard-headed as they come, but Kass definitely edged him.

Looking ahead, I've decided to take a week off from goal. We already don't have Novice on Sunday night due to the holiday, and I haven't been asked to play Monday, so Tuesday is all I'm really missing. I think being so sick this week, it will be good to get rested up. I really can't handle this particular illness hanging around any longer than necessary.

Meanwhile, my throat is telling me it's time for my 4 a.m. dose of soothing chocolate ice cream and Advil.

10 comments:

BReynolds  November 28, 2009 at 11:17 AM  

I have had strep several time in my life, and I do not envy you at all. It is likely one of the most brutal illnesses short of cancer, etc. Unless you have had it, the pain is indescribable.

Get better soon. Did you get the shot? Was it trimox or something like that? I got that shot once when I was a kid, and I could literally feel the drugs coursing down my leg, into my toes, up my other leg... it hurt.

Ms. Conduct  November 28, 2009 at 12:05 PM  

Nope, they didn't offer a shot. Just antibiotic, cough medicine (though not the kind with good stuff in it), and some nasty ass gargle stuff that I can't gargle because my throat hurts too much.

BReynolds  November 28, 2009 at 12:06 PM  

Oh... and Brusty beat the Walleye? Damn him. I suppose it's OK, since it is Brusty. If Aeros are playing, they are allowed to beat the Walleye. I guess. And maybe the Chiefs can, too. But that's it.

No more. Walleye. FTW.

Ms. Conduct  November 28, 2009 at 12:09 PM  

You Minnesotans and your fish...

Did you know they actually throw fish on the ice when they score?

If I'm the opposing goalie, that's almost worth letting one in.

Sunshine36616  November 28, 2009 at 2:54 PM  

The one time I had strep my throat actually didn't hurt that bad, it totally kicked my ass for a few days though. Take care of yourself and feel better!

walkinvisible  November 28, 2009 at 6:09 PM  

i'm prone to strep throat so i get it alot.... usually at least once or twice a year. it sucks, but the GOOD news is that i can self-diagnose pretty early (white throat spots plus all the symptoms you mentioned) and go to the doctor for antibiotics before it gets REALLY out of hand....

get well soon, lady.
ps: i bought skates yesterday. ;)

Ms. Conduct  November 28, 2009 at 6:17 PM  

Lemme tell ya, next time I get a sore throat, I'm gonna be freaking out that it's this and not just a cold. So sorry you have to deal with this regularly. I do wish I'd gone to the doc on Thursday, but it was Thursday night before I realized what it was. Thought it was flu or something.

You bought skates! Thought Canadians got skates issued by the gov't when they're born. Does this mean you're taking up hockey? Or taking up skating?

kgopher  November 28, 2009 at 6:24 PM  

Have had Strep several times. It sucks. I don't know what is worse for me Strep itself or the swab they do to check for it. Thankfully haven't had it for a while. Come visit GTRCMBSHP today, we have half naked hockey player pics. Should help you feel better.

Ms. Conduct  November 28, 2009 at 6:34 PM  

You'd think The Internet would somehow notify me when half naked hockey player pics are being gathered. Google will invent that eventually, I'm sure.

The swab was nothing compared to how miserable I was. Of course, the test came back negative but the doc was like, "that's BS. you TOTALLY have strep." Yeah. I know.

walkinvisible  November 28, 2009 at 7:25 PM  

i know how to skate but it's been awhile, and i haven't owned skates in a few years.... PLUS i wanna skate AWESOMELY so i'm gonna try to take power skating or something... not sure if i can do it til the new year, but i'm looking into it....

also ? i think it's BUNK that i don't understand the lingo that lets me link into the half naked hockey player shots.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP