Monday, November 16, 2009

Quick Hits: Banding the sweat, hockey camp & other junk

My big accomplishment for the day was making my own sweat band to wear in my mask. It really takes something important for me to pull out Memaw's 1930s Singer sewing machine (best sewing machine ever made... runs like a horse lo these 75 years later) so you know my sweat band issue was really a problem.

I used these instructions to make them and I have a TON of sham cloth left so if they work well, I'll churn some out for my goalie readers who want to try it out. Should be a good test tomorrow night at drop-in, though there are two thicknesses of material, so I need to try both and make sure they work equally well.

Some guy is apparently selling them on ebay for $25? Crazy. They're so easy to make, even with my crapass sewing skills.

Of course, while I've got the old girl out, I'm wondering what other mods I need to make. Like, for instance, all the spent elastic holding my chest protector together. Dare I attempt it? Oh hell, why not?

---------------------

No Monday drop-in this week. I miss it in a way but know I need the break. Hope it won't be too long before I'm invited back. It's a good bunch.

It's been so long since I haven't played Monday, we'll see if it affects my Tuesday play to not be on tired legs.

----------------------

Man, Chara is so big. And yet, pretty agile for a condominium. But Roloson can really move for a not-so-young goalie. He always impresses me, so I'm glad he's out of the Western conference.

Speaking of which, how about Robbie Earl and John Scott getting their first NHL goals yesterday? Honest to god, I was super excited for Robbie, but I got tears for Scotty. That guy will always have special little place in my heart in the spot reserved for the players who were integral to my falling in love with the game. It's a weird mix of dudes in that spot--not a lot of rhyme or reason, but you can't argue with results can you?

-----------------------

Oh! So, I'm signed up, sort of tentatively, to be a goalie at an adult hockey camp in Minnesota next July. It's not a goalie camp but they need goalies to shoot on.

Ran across this funny blurb on the ModSquad board:

I use that exact expression to describe myself when I start throwing passive butterflies at too many shots. "Throwing shapes in the Church of Dance..." Then there are "driving range goaies" who excel in a certain number of common goalie camp/clinic drills but can't put it together on the ice, and "knee dancers" for the guys who have beautiful butterfly slides but can't stop a beachball.
I'm sort of a driving range goalie. I love taking shots. I like game play, too, but (to state what is true for probably anybody) I'm better if I know what's coming. And when I'm better, I'm happier. So, point being, this should be a pretty fun camp for me.

What will be interesting is getting my gear to Minnesota, but I'm sure I can scrounge up enough folks who've flown with goalie gear to help me figure out how to get that done without spending a fortune in extra baggage fees. Plus it will be awesome to FINALLY meet all my Minnesotans!

Anyway, I'm excited about the prospect. But I have lots of work to do before then. Onward and upward.

Okay, off to buy more velcro and elastic while I still remember how to operate the sewing machine.

7 comments:

Goody  November 17, 2009 at 8:11 AM  

I'd suggest you look into UPS for getting the goalie gear to MN. Just an idea, I've never personally flown with hockey gear. It might be cheaper than what you'd pay an airline and might be more reliable - no lost luggage nightmare. Talk to the camp organizer about an address where you could ship your gear. The only downside might be the time needed. You wouldn't be able to play the night before then hop on a plane the next day and have your gear that evening.

kgopher  November 17, 2009 at 8:18 AM  

FedEx or UPS if it is going to be crazy expensive to fly it.

Ms. Conduct  November 17, 2009 at 9:50 AM  

See, I knew the Minnesotans would be on top of it. :)

I'm thinking if I'm heading off to play for 4 days straight, I'm not going to play at all for a couple of days before, so that shouldn't be a problem.

We'll see. Still a long way off. I'm sure baggage fees will go up again by then. Then again, I could fly SW, though I'd have to pay for the flight, where I could use miles for CO.

artandhockey  November 17, 2009 at 9:56 AM  

How about making a vacation out of it (bring your own cheering section, too)and drive up, you might need a car to haul things around as well!
IF you've got the time.
I DO LIKE (fly it often) SW.. GO FOR IT !

Nick in New York  November 17, 2009 at 9:58 AM  

I've done both (UPS/FedEx and checking them on the airline) for that camp.

NWA/Delta was fine. They had these ridiculous size restrictions so I spent a ton of time strapping my gear into the smallest possible shape...and then they didn't even measure them at the airport (there or back.) You know your going to pay the fee. Having said that, of course they'll measure yours.... ;)

FedEx was more expensive, and THEY LOST MY FREAKIN' BAG. I missed the entire first day of my first year at camp because of it. Again, no guarantee they lose your bag, but do not, repeat do not, let the dude that picks up your bag put the packing slip on the nylon bag. Those things are apt to come right off in the rigors of travel - and, with no packing slip, they don't know where to send your bag. If I hadn't had a tag on my bag with my address on it I never would have gotten my stuff back.

Also, buy a stick bag for your twigs.

Ms. Conduct  November 17, 2009 at 11:13 AM  

Oh, I'm so stupid. I'll just ask Andrew! Dude knows everything there is to know about Continental. Duh. Plus he'

Ms. Conduct  November 17, 2009 at 11:15 AM  

Er, that is, plus he's been around the Aeros and help them with travel occasionally, too, I think. No problemo.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP