Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Shed that monkey

Much better night tonight at Tuesday drop-in. Dare I say, it was actually fun. I had some good stops and frustrated a few guys, which always feels good.

One of the problems with this night is that we almost always have three goalies. Two of us are about the same level of experience and skill (little and low) and the other guy who's usually there is quite good. Young and tall and super bendy and very quick.

It's funny because Absolute Mental had an article out today on playing well against weaker opponents, but since I'm almost always the weaker goalie, my issue is getting intimidated and distracted playing against a better goalie.

When I play against someone on my level, I'm kinda more motivated because I know I have a prayer of beating them. When they're way better, I can feel my confidence sinking a little before I'm even on the ice.

But that guy wasn't there tonight, so for some reason, one of the guys who works at the rink dressed. WTF? I was all happy thinking I'd only change nets once and then this guy comes strolling up. Grr.

However, it turned out fine and I think I'm just going to be okay with having three goalies. It is, in fact, an almost 2 hour drop-in, so getting some relief in goal is kinda nice. Just 10 or 15 minutes off feels pretty good, especially on my third night of playing. I definitely stayed fresher to the end.

So, I'm over that gripe. I also switched locker rooms to one where I kinda have a corner to myself and can't see the rest of the room when I'm doing my thing, but I'm also right by the door so I can get in and out easily, which is important when you're dressed like a Macy's Thanksgiving Day balloon.

Nothing extraordinary about the night. Had some fun guys out. I like when my defense talks to me like I'm on their team. I know that seems obvious but it doesn't happen a lot with this bunch. Very "lonely end of the rink" sometimes on Tuesdays.

Also, I don't know what it is, but I keep making tons of saves with the shaft of my stick. Somehow it just knows where to be. I'm not questioning it. I'll take it!

Anyway, I'm feeling good. Time for more Advil and bed and back to real life tomorrow. These 3-in-3s sort of suspend time for me each week. And then it's over and I have to deal with the non-hockey world again. Like getting my oil changed and crap like that. Blech.

All of Paramore's songs sound the same to me, but these lyrics kinda speak to me.



-------------

In other news, if you're a T3I reader, you read Andrew's really nicely done post about Brusty heading to Florida for a conditioning/rehab turn between the pipes in Naples. Sounds like he'll be playing Friday and probably Saturday, assuming the foot holds up.

I hate to waste money on B2, unless their service has improved, but I sure do want to see my goalie play again, even if it's tiny and grainy. I've been waiting months and months and will gladly watch the Aeros game on archive later. Apologies to those who like the in-game twittering. You're welcome to those who don't. :)

Needless to say, in my perfect world, he knocks the rust off and gets back to Houston ASAP and wins one of the spots here. I won't say which spot, other than to say... not Anton's. Haha...

But we are rarely in my perfect world. Otherwise, I'd be 5'9", could do the splits without tearing my groin, and would have a kick ass paint job on my mask. I'm thinking of having a really big set of boobs painted on my mask. Think that would distract the boys into missing the net? If not that, then definitely NINJAs. Love a good NINJA. Yes, all caps on NINJA. Always.

4 comments:

Ms. Conduct  November 11, 2009 at 9:56 AM  

Ahh, but NINJAs are too stealth to show their boobs. That's why they never have mardi gras beads on.

kgopher  November 11, 2009 at 11:54 AM  

How about Ninjas that have big boobs. They wouldn't have to be naked boobs, just large.

Ms. Conduct  November 11, 2009 at 12:00 PM  

Hmm. NINJAs are always sort of gender neutral in my head.They're not sexy but they'll kill you before you even know they're in the room. NINJAs FTW.....

Seems like a guy thing (looking at you, Dimples) to put a chick with big boobs on a mask.

Then again, I'm all about celebrating the melons.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP