Tuesday, January 20, 2009

More Quick Hits: I beg to differ; New fantasy toy; Sunshine Club!

Russo had a chat with Danny Irmen, who is up with the Wild right now (though is surely heading back to Houston tomorrow since the Wild are done until after the all star break). This stuck out to me:

The ex-Gophers player said he uses Cal Clutterbuck as inspiration. Clutterbuck cemented a full-time NHL job upon being promoted in October.

"We have so many other guys that play that style or a similar one," Irmen said. "It gives you hope and tells you to keep playing that way, because teams need players like that."
I don't disagree that teams need players like Cal, but I completely disagree that there are "so many other guys" similar to him. How many guys can be 3rd in the league in hits yet still put his defensive play and positioning a high enough priority to keep Lemaire happy, AND get some points on the board? Sorry, but I don't know many in the AHL and certainly not on the Aeros who could come close.

I guess I take issue with the implication that he's just an average grinder who worked hard and got some luck. I don't believe that's the case at all. I could go into the 20 reasons why but seriously, do I need to?

---------------
Lucky for me, someone in my pal Buddha's ESPN hockey fantasy league couldn't take the heat in the kitchen, so he offered the team to me. They are at the bottom of the league. Way way way in the basement where the trolls live. But I've spent the evening dumping crap players, adding better ones, and generally being obnoxious. What fun!

Unfortunately, the former owner was one of the poor schmucks who got stuck with Gaborik. Ugh. So the team really has no superstars on it. Lots of second tier players, so there's really not much hope for big moves up, but it's fun to try.

And this is a roto keeper league, which I don't have going in any other league. I'll have to figure out what that means in terms of strategy. Only one keeper so I'll worry about that much later.

----------------
Andrew, who wrote about whether the Aeros could make the playoffs the other day, apparently got some heat from some fans who don't appreciate his pessimistic and/or realistic take on the team's prospects. He calls hopeful Aeros fans... The Sunshine Club. (Oh, how vile!)

Anyway, he dug a little deeper and shared those findings. I'm not sure they really change much, but in any case, if you enjoy prediction talk, there you have the addendum to the original post.

I think it's pretty clear where my head is on making predictions, either game by game or for the season. I don't like to do it, I don't do it well, and really, I don't see the point. The game will be what the game will be. Same for the season. Drop the puck and surprise me, boys. That's why I love hockey. You never know what you're going to get.

Like, maybe, a chocolate llama.

So, here's my plan for the second half of the season. I'll even put it in a numbered list so it's easy to follow:
  1. Go to Aeros games
  2. Watch Aeros games (while hoping for the best)
  3. Write about Aeros games
  4. Repeat
  5. See what happens
That's how us Type B bitches roll. It works for me.

15 comments:

KiPA - Kevin in PA  January 21, 2009 at 1:48 AM  

We're talking about the number of keepers. It'll probably be more than one.

Ms. Conduct  January 21, 2009 at 2:01 AM  

Good to know. Though really, with my sad sack of players... sheesh.

KiPA - Kevin in PA  January 21, 2009 at 2:47 AM  

You've got some good ones. I was surprised you cut Osgood; he'll get you wins if nothing else.

But yeah, most of that league didn't seem to focus on drafting well. That's why I've got Vinny as like my eighth or ninth best player. Maybe. He might be lower. (As in, 10th or 11th.)

Ms. Conduct  January 21, 2009 at 2:55 AM  

More like win AND nothing else. His numbers are pretty tragic. Probably should have tried to trade him first but I wanted to shake things up in a hurry and let the chips fall where they may. Plus, it's fun to say "Conks."

Autodraft can be tough but it's not rocket science to eliminate guys you don't want ahead of time. I'm plenty obsessive enough to take the time to do that. :)

KiPA - Kevin in PA  January 21, 2009 at 3:00 AM  

It's still tough cutting a Detroit goalie, especially the starter.

No, it's not rocket science, but not many people did it. Check the draft history. There's some doozies in there.

Ms. Conduct  January 21, 2009 at 3:25 AM  

I didn't find it tough at all. ;)

It's my picture next to "Ignorance is bliss" in the dictionary.

Anonymous  January 21, 2009 at 7:28 AM  

Well like the guy said, I don't know if I'd want to be a member of a club that would have me as a member, but if you come up with the logo I'll get some Sunshine tee shirts printed up. Sometimes people get funny when there's a tee involved. Maybe Andrew would join the club for the chance at a nice tee.

Off subject. Some time back you wrote about Barry's mis-matched pads. Did you notice his new pads and goalie mask during last Sunday's warmup? I didn't get a good look at the mask but I hope to get a close up view Friday. This goalie mask art thing is interesting. Most, but not all, seem to have at least four subjects; the NHL affiliate, AHL home town icon reference, goalie's nickname, and something personal to each man. Sorry, this must be old hat to you but I'm just now kinda getting into it. Detailed photos and learning the back story to each goalie's art choices might be entertaining.

Ms. Conduct  January 21, 2009 at 7:57 AM  

I got there after warm-ups both games last weekend, so I didn't see!

I'm very interested in goalie gear, too, so I understand the mask fascination. I'll have to check with Fred to see if he got any shots of Brusty during warm-ups. I wonder if the ASG selection precipitated new gear. Can't go to the ASG with a mis-matched blocker...

Fred Trask  January 21, 2009 at 8:06 AM  

Yeah, I got some great shots of the new mask (that being said w/o processing them or looking at them om the PC) and I'll process a few tonight probably. It's pretty slick IMO

Ms. Conduct  January 21, 2009 at 8:19 AM  

Oh yay! New mask yummies! That would be terrific, Fred. Thank you!

Anonymous  January 21, 2009 at 10:27 AM  

You and Fred might consider getting together and publishing a book about goalie masks. Not just photos but all the behind the scenes stuff. Why, how, who, ect. I know there have been other books but I am speaking of modern masks and the stories that revolve around each particular mask. For example, Sunday's opposition back up goalie had the saying "Cold Hard Ca$h" on the back of his mask. Other than the obvious, what's the story about that? I bet its more than just show me the money.

Looking forward to Fred's photos of Barry. Thank you.

Ms. Conduct  January 21, 2009 at 10:39 AM  

Hell, I'm ready to quit MY day job and talk about goalie gear with goalies. How about you, Fred?

Speaking of writing books, I've had this idea for a book about agitators, but now I think I just want to be Cal's official biographer. By the time it's time to write it, I'll be pretty hockey-smart and will have documented much of his career right here.

Of course, since this isn't one of Cal's favorite blogs, I guess he'll not get to appreciate that he's got an official biographer at the tender age of 21.

hipcheck  January 21, 2009 at 12:54 PM  

I would totally read the goalie book! It has to be the most interesting position, not just the helmets but the players who decide "I want to be a goalie".

And on the agitator book, I would love to help out on that one. Agitators and goalies are my favorite type of players!

KiPA - Kevin in PA  January 21, 2009 at 3:52 PM  

Well, your call of course. Osgood didn't stay a free agent for very long.

Heh, of course, Conklin had to go and give up five last night.

Ms. Conduct  January 21, 2009 at 4:26 PM  

I didn't figure he would stay available for long.

I'm assuming Conks just wanted to get that bad game out of his system so he can compete for the Vezina the rest of the season. :)

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP