Saturday, December 12, 2009

Oh just bite me

Everblades.

This bullshit of allowing 20+ shots in the first period is ... bullshit. Where's that 26-shot second period urgency when the game starts? Lazy hacks. Bite me.

My first intermission tweet:

Of course, even one goal against was too many because of the 47 (yeah, FORTY SEVEN) shots opposing goalie Ryan Munce saw, he stopped every. last. one.

It was really a tremendous performance by Munce and normally I'd be delighted to see a goalie play so well. But frankly, I have no use for hero goalies in this situation. So it was just annoying.

And it was teddy bear toss night. They ended up tossing the bears late in the second on a shot off the post that looked like a sure goal (one of about 10 shots that looked like sure goals). It's always a bit awkward to not score on TBT night.

Props to the Blades fans though. They brought the bear love big time. I'm not sure I've seen so many at a toss, which was nice because the the Aeros cleaned their bears up so fast Friday night, we didn't really get to appreciate the spectacle of all those bears on the ice. It was quite a scene though in Florida.

UPDATE: Here's SwampHockey's first-hand account of the game, including a bunch of Brusty pics. Hi Brusty!!! Though I look at him and all I can think is, "Wrong mfing sweater!" Augh. I hate this so much.

Canucks.
Your Kessler and your Burrows and your Sedinbots. You can all bite me, too. No real reason. I just sports hate you.



Aeros.
Khudobin kinda called out the Aeros offense for putting so much pressure on him to be nearly perfect in order to get wins. I appreciate the feeling, but I'm not sure about actually saying it on the record. Then again, he always brings a refreshing candor, so I shouldn't give him shit for it, should I?

Still... Schaef and Brusty did that for a full season two years ago. And all you could get out of them was appreciation for the defensive play of the team and for each other. I'm just saying.

So many Aeros fans point to last season as sort of the "good times" they wish they could go back to. Not me. I fell in love with hockey... DEEPLY in love... with the team the year before. If I could go back, I'd go there. But I can't, so... bite me.
But I'll end on a good note. My devotion isn't a total jinx. Jaeger's really found his game up in Dallas and had excellent games last night and tonight. Here's a great shot of him getting his #2 star Friday night after a 35-save OT win.

Bit of a slow starter, that one, but it's good to see him doing well. So, just for consistency's sake, no need for Jaegs to bite me. Heh.

---------------------

Back in the nets for me tomorrow. It's the last game in December for Novice, which means my last 3-in-3 this year.

Unfortunately, my left knee has been sort of swollen and stiff, but not hurting, after my Tuesday games. Not sure what's going on there but it's still stiff today. I think I need to stretch my quads better AFTER I play.

Apparently we're getting an extra hour of ice on Tuesday. We already have an hour and a half, by the end of which I'm just praying for the Zamboni guy to open the gate and shoo us off. Add an hour? Mercy. Bring an ambulance.

OH! And Monday is my one year anniversary of playing goal! I'll have a special look back at a year I describe as "one foot on cloud 9, one foot in the viper pit." Because I'm melodramatic like that.

13 comments:

KiPA - Kevin in PA  December 13, 2009 at 4:28 AM  

"And it was teddy bear toss night. They ended up tossing the bears late in the second on a shot off the post that looked like a sure goal (one of about 10 shots that looked like sure goals). It's always a bit awkward to not score on TBT night."

Wait, what? Did a herd of stuffed bears litter the ice while play was still going on?

Ms. Conduct  December 13, 2009 at 4:50 AM  

Yep. Ref blew the whistle though when they started. Announcer was all, "Stop throwing bears" but the crowd was very frustrated and kept on and finally they were like, "Alright, throw the bears"

There was like 1:30 left in the period so they just went to intermission and finished the period when they returned. Pretty smart really.

KiPA - Kevin in PA  December 13, 2009 at 8:37 AM  

And this is something that has league approval? Did we learn nothing from the ridiculousness of Florida Panthers fans throwing those gawdawful plastic rats on the ice for a goal? I understand there's always going to be gimmicks in the minor leagues, but an idea like that is just screaming for disaster and situations exactly like that one.

Have it for an intermission game or something, like a closest to the target wins something. Even then though, I'm willing to bet at some point you'd get a pissed off fan who throws the thing just to be a dick, like the Canadiens fan who threw a shoe onto the ice Thursday in protest of a bad call against Montreal. If people will throw their shoes, they'll certainly throw a free giveaway that's intended to be thrown.

Ms. Conduct  December 13, 2009 at 8:52 AM  

I'd wager just about every minor pro and major junior hockey team does a TBT each year. It's not a big deal and usually goes pretty smoothly.

It's one game a year and for a good cause and tends to pack the house because people like to throw shit (at least when you publicize it in time, unlike the Aeros, who notified fans at around noon on gameday... sheesh).

So I'd say that just because it goes a little sideways for a few teams is no reason to jack with a fun annual tradition for most clubs.

KiPA - Kevin in PA  December 13, 2009 at 9:35 AM  

Well, spoken like someone who follows minor league hockey much more than I do. I'd never heard of something like that until I saw you mention it. I attended a handful of Nailers games, or maybe it was just Penguins practices at the smaller local rink that's 10 minutes away, where they threw pucks with numbers on it for a rally or gift giveaway or something at a target on the ice, but they did it during a break, not during the run of play.

Whether it "usually" goes smoothly or not, I still say it's a silly idea and one that should be reserved for an intermission. It was, um, a questionable practice when Florida fans did it; I don't see why it isn't a questionable practice now.

I won't start a crusade against it, but it seems to me there are alternatives to raising awareness for something rather than give people free rein to throw things at other people. I guess I'm just too uptight.

Ms. Conduct  December 13, 2009 at 9:44 AM  

Well, yeah, you are too uptight, but I love ya anyway.

You NHL fans in your ivory towers... ;) 99% of the time this event goes off without issue and every body loves it. Maybe not the team that just scored, since it wrecks their momentum, but of the indignities minor leaguers endure, it's small potatoes.

Does seem the Blades have sort of bad teddy toss karma though, since they have now been shut out 3 times on TBT night.

KiPA - Kevin in PA  December 13, 2009 at 9:53 AM  

Keep in mind I'm the one who said I'd make bathroom/masturbation jokes constantly if I was on Twitter.

I've been to a number of small-time minor league baseball games, so I'm well aware of gimmicks that minor leaguers face. I guess tossing things onto the ice just caught me by surprise.

Sunshine36616  December 13, 2009 at 11:42 AM  

The Gwinnette Gladiators do a TBT too. I haven't been to one yet, but I'm dying to.

Speaking of the Gladiators...one of their most common opponents is....the Florida Everblades. I'll keep my eye on the schedule and try and get some pics for you next time they are in town.

Ms. Conduct  December 13, 2009 at 11:59 AM  

OMG, I'd love you forever. Look out... I'll be begging you to make one of your famous signs! ;)

Sunshine36616  December 13, 2009 at 9:37 PM  

Looks like the Everblades will be in town Sunday, December 27. Think Brusty will still be there?

Ms. Conduct  December 14, 2009 at 12:33 AM  

Unfortunately yes, I suspect he will be. Unless someone above him gets hurt or sick.

Sunshine36616  December 14, 2009 at 8:19 AM  

I thought the Swamp Hockey blog said it was more of a conditioning stint. I was hoping maybe I wouldn't see him :( I'll be sure he is well photographed for you lol.

Ms. Conduct  December 14, 2009 at 8:26 AM  

That was how the assignment was characterized when he was sent down initially. Turns out, it's a "you lose the numbers game; we'll call you if we need you; enjoy being basically on a permanent road trip."

*hate*

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP