Saturday, December 19, 2009

A holiday curbstomping (updated with killer photos)

So, the Wild were tres sad tonight. Shoulda put money on the Sens like Mr.C suggested because even with Mike Brodeur making his NHL debut in goal, they just weren't gonna win that game. Too much distraction between the fire and the flu and the man-short situation.

Even if the new gear was feeling okay, the whole shebang was just Too Much.

BUT, I really don't give a shit because O. M. G. Brusty's game was so bad ass I almost don't have words for it. And yet... I will give it my best shot because the performance deserves it.

Brusty with his "bring it, bitches" face on. That's right. *chomp*
Photo by Bethani Shilladay

The Blades won 5-1, scoring 11 seconds into the game, so you know, a little goal support always puts the wind at your back.

However, the wind at your front is... wait for it... 43 shots on goal. Baby, that's a whole lotta rubber.

And what's more, that's a whole lotta shots for Wheeling to be taking and NOT scoring, so they were clearly getting frustrated. They were running Barry, crowding the crease, generally being dicks around the net.

But the math is simple: Antagonize Barry = Get Your Ass Kicked. It's not even math. It's a law of nature.

One guy literally got his ass kicked when I guess B2 got fed up and just knocked him on his butt during a penalty kill. Okay, maaaaybe not great timing :) but they killed off the 5 on 3 and then the remaining 5 on 4.

And even though they let so many shots through, props to the Blades for an outstanding PK tonight. They went 1 and 6, and the one goal allowed was on a 5 on 3. Not a bad goal at all.

Here are some beeeeeeautiful shots from the game courtesy of the lovely, generous, and talented Bethani Shilladay. Muchas gracias to Fred Trask for editing them. Click to embiggen and see all the glorious detail:

This is one of those moments where I'm screeching,
"BITCHES, DON'T RUN MY GOALIE!!!"
Seriously. Don't run my goalie. He'll cut you.
Below, I cropped it tighter so you can see Brusty better.
Not sure where the puck is. Maybe in his glove.

But Kinley is getting a mask full of stink-eye from Barry anyway.


You can see the puck right in the tip of his glove.

I'm guessing the puck is in his glove, given the amount of snow
in the air right in front of the glove. And because he's awesome like that.

One of my favorite things: Playing the puck.

Every time I look at this one, I think, "OMG, GIT IT, BRUSTY!"
even though I know he totally got it.

All photos by Bethani Shilladay

Anyway, it was a fun game and the radio PBP guy was pretty funny on Brusty. Well, funny and at times frustrating as he flirted with jinxy-talk in the stuff he said. Like at the end of the second period, saying, "The first star of this game may be the man in the big pads." Um, dude. Whole period left. Stop that!

But the one that made me laugh was, "Brust has done a lot of rolling around tonight, but when he does, it's quality rolling around!"

Ha! I think that was after this big rolling poke check which Beth also managed to snag a great series of shots of. As you can see, it was some quality rolling around. I needed a cigarette and a nap after watching that save.


All photos by Bethani Shilladay

I have no idea where the puck is in any of those shots, but needless to say, it was not in the net. Unreal.

Ahhh, shame there's no highlight package because it was a gooder for sure. I'd have given him the first star because goal scoring was spread around but I'm pretty sure he made all 42 saves through his own sheer BAMFitude. But what do I know?

Now. Come home. :D

5 comments:

Unknown  December 20, 2009 at 2:11 AM  

I still say "quality rolling around" is dirty. It goes nicely with: "How do you score on a butterfly goalie? Well, first you have to coax him into spreading his legs, then you slam it home before he can close them." Actual quote from an NHL color guy. Lordy, I love this sport.

Sunshine36616  December 20, 2009 at 3:48 PM  

The puck evaporated from Brusty's awesomeness.

Ms. Conduct  December 20, 2009 at 5:36 PM  

Ha! Y'all rock.

I now have a new answer when someone asks me what my super power would be: The ability to evaporate vulcanized rubber in an instant. OMG, BEST GOALIE EVER!

LittleRedBeemer  December 20, 2009 at 9:13 PM  

It happened so fast, but the series where he did the roll the puck hit off his left foot about the time as the second frame. I was too busy going "holy crap!" to the camera dude next to me to keep my shutter release pressed down. Oops! The other one the puck was in the glove (can see it in the webbing in the photos after that)but I liked this one because of the flying ice chips on their way to the glove and his body position. That was just cool! What was it you said about needing a drink and a cigarette? I felt the same way about that series of shots! Thanks Fred for editing!!

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP