Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Yank-ee Tuesday

I dunno what it is but Tuesday drop-ins don't inspire much reflection for me lately. Perhaps because it's difficult to "own" a game when there are 3 or more goalies and you're having to rotate out. It's a distraction I haven't learned to manage through yet.

It's like, as soon as I feel like I'm getting into a rhythm, it's time to either head to the bench or the other net. Hmph.

Wasn't a great night for me, but pretty typical for this group. As I suspected, the right pad flip is not fixed. More work to do there.

The one fun moment was with a novice level guy who is SO nice and just started a couple of weeks ago. Just a really sweet, humble guy who is having fun getting (back?) into the game. Anyway, he got a breakaway and he's coming at me and I hear him say, "It's you and me!!"

He shoots.

I stop him.

"You're the greatest goalie in the world!"

"You're my favorite shooter!"

HAHAHAHA!!! We're so funny. It was just one of those moments.

He got another breakaway later and I stopped that, too. I heart guys who haven't learned to deke well or go top shelf.

I don't usually have a lot of laughter and fun at these drop-ins. There just aren't the relationships there that make that happen, and that's okay. I kinda accept that I'm the whore goalie at drop-ins--come in, do my job, and get out. So, while rare, I enjoy little slices of camaraderie like that.

---------------

I wish I took coaching better, but I really don't. Especially when I get it right before a game. I guess a few pointers are okay but then, let it go. I need to clear my head. I make enough noise in there on my own. Uninvited goalie coaching is sort of like touching a pregnant woman's stomach. You should probably ask if it's welcome first. Is that just Me being Grouchy Old Me? I don't know, but it's how I feel. (Unless it's from your actual coach. Then it's expected and fine.)

Speaking of grouchy, I kinda am. I'm glad I don't play again until Sunday. I need a few days to crave it again. I'm incredibly grateful for the all the ice time I'm getting, but man, sometimes the old girl just needs to go lie down in the barn for a while and have some chocolate milk, eh?

Wow, this song is awful. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Goody  October 21, 2009 at 10:41 AM  

I once saw a goalie who was getting unwanted coaching say "F-you, you know so much, you play it!" and leave. While that kinda sucked for his team, it wasn't too bad as they were being blown out anyway - hence the unwanted coaching and the temper. He never received unwanted coaching again though.

Ms. Conduct  October 21, 2009 at 10:54 AM  

LOL Glad to know there's at least one goalie out there who's a more stubborn prick than I am. :D

No, I nod and smile and pretend it doesn't bug me.

Nick  October 21, 2009 at 12:52 PM  

Just curious, when you go to a drop-in do you treat it like a competition with the other goalies or do you shoot for a personal best ' goals against score' for drop-ins perspective-wise? Or is it strictly a time for you to focus on fixing problems (like your pad rotation)? I like to compete with the other goalies (keeping everything to myself) and just keep a mental track of how many get by me in a session.

I haven't had anybody bother me with trying to coach until lately. One of the guys on my team doesn't understand why I don't automatically pop back up on my feet after every single time I go down, regardless of whether or not the shooter gets the rebound and is 15 feet away or less! I've been tempted to drag out all my videos, books, GDI issues and say "Read all this, play a season and then maybe you can so much as speak to me!". Mind you, this is the same guy that plays offense in our zone, and defense in their zone ... lazy-ass doesn't wanna skate!

Ms. Conduct  October 21, 2009 at 1:12 PM  

Well, I think part of my problem the last couple of weeks is that I've been reaching my "burnout" point on Tuesdays after long weekends of playing, so I haven't really been setting goals.

That probably explains my lack of engagement in addition to the sharing crease time thing.

I do tend to compete on some level with the other goalies but one that comes out is WAY better than me and the other is coming off a pretty bad injury so neither competition is very satisfying. I'm really trying to learn by watching the other goalie. He's easily the most flexible goalie I play against, so he's pretty fun to watch.

I do not keep track of goals against during drop-ins. I don't even keep track during regular games. I'm afraid of getting hung up on the number (and I'm not a stats/numbers person anyway). Maybe that's bad, I dunno. Just not how I operate. A session, no matter how burned out or disengaged I am, is more about learning from each goal. I at least do that because what's the point of being there otherwise?

Nick  October 23, 2009 at 11:54 AM  

The other point to being there would be 'to have fun'. ;-)

Ms. Conduct  October 23, 2009 at 11:55 AM  

Dammit! I keep forgetting that part. Maybe I should write that on my knob next to WORK!

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP