Monday, October 12, 2009

Stick a fork in me

Someone please tell my dog he's already had all the food he's gonna get today? Mama's tired and not getting out of her chair again unless the house is on fire or it's time for bed.

*sigh*

Kind of a weird night again. Usually I get worse as a game goes on but this particular drop-in, twice now I've gotten better as the game goes on. The first half, I just got murdered. Felt like everything went in. I couldn't do anything right, and they were just getting breakaway after breakaway.

Second half, for some reason, I started stopping everything. Admittedly, there was only one extra person per bench, so they were pretty tired, but that meant I didn't have much defense either. The team shooting on me in the second half were mostly decent players but had one ringer who cherry picked the whole game. I think he was trying to get a goal in all 7 holes, just for sport. Whatever.

He also put such a hard shot from the slot into my forehead, he chipped the paint off my mask. That sort of irritates me, I have to admit. I like the puck marks on my white gear, but I don't like the white chip on my black mask. How bad would it be to touch that up with a sharpie? :D

That said, I LOVE YOU, HACKVA! A shot hard enough to chip paint off my mask but barely phased me. Ears rang for a second but nothing else. I love my mask and am so glad I invested in a good one.

I used the Khudobin stick again. It's amazing how different it feels from my RBK stick. It's much more lively, and I don't mean just in terms of handling the puck (because I continue to suck at that), but even on stick saves, the puck goes springing off in unpredictable directions. The RBK stick, pucks have a much more dull reaction.

Even tapping my stick on the ice for a good save at the other end or whatever (yeah, I cheer for the other goalie... it's ingrained in me... though I did get freaking sick of the other guy stopping absolutely everything, but that's my problem, not his. He played really really well), the Sherwood is louder and lighter.

I did have to go out again and play the puck. It was floating in and the cherry picker was loafing behind it. So I get to it and try to pass it out to my guy who was skating in behind him to the right, but CP got his stick out and intercepted it (because my shot is so friggin' weak).

It was lame, but since he'd scored his 43 goals on me was just dicking around and scowling at me for wasting his precious A-league time, he didn't even shoot on the empty net. He just hung out in the circle, until I got back in and he had some teammates to pass to. I stopped them. Neener.

Had one crazy save where it hit the stick and bounced into my glove. Now, I've seen real goalies do this on purpose, but frankly, I just got lucky. Still, it was cool as shit. And everyone on the ice thought so, too.

Anyway. I'm beat. Drank the nasty Endurox afterward, will take some Advil in a little bit. Also have to put an ice pack on my ankle. I caught an edge Sunday night and think I sprained it just a hair. It's been tender today and even more so now. And my shoulders hurt a lot for some reason. Can't figure that out either.

But then away I'll go again tomorrow night. Argh. Can't say I'm looking all that forward to it. Between the locker room drama and Tuesdays generally being my toughest game of the week (at the END of the 3 in 3)... I'm really looking forward to a night of just watching other people do all the hard work. My luck there will only be 2 games on Wednesday and they'll both be on Versus. FU NHL schedulers!

Never thought I'd see the day where I'm playing so much hockey that I don't have time to watch any of it, beyond the Aeros.



8 comments:

Nicky Robinson  October 13, 2009 at 3:15 AM  

Black nail polish works great to fix a chip in a black mask.

artandhockey  October 13, 2009 at 10:25 AM  

Now I wonder would nailpolish work for signing on a helmet made of Vinyl Nitrite?

Ms. Conduct  October 13, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

Maybe but I think I'd invest in the a paint pen at that point. It would be a lot easier to write with.

artandhockey  October 13, 2009 at 11:11 AM  

Just kidding re 'Goth' polish.. really - although the 'dark look' might be apropos, n'est ce pas? ;-D

Ms. Conduct  October 13, 2009 at 11:42 AM  

That would be pretty saucy to offer up a bottle of red polish for Matt to sign with. :D

Nicky Robinson  October 14, 2009 at 3:48 PM  

For signing a mask: silver (or gold) Sharpie. Next tiem I get to Washignton D.C., I am totally haunting Caps practice and getting Arturs Irbe to sign my back plate. Archie is the whole reason I fell in love with goalies.

Anonymous  October 14, 2009 at 10:11 PM  

Cobra? OMG, I love them. I met Gabe way back in the day. One of my friends still keeps in touch with him.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP