Thursday, November 20, 2008

Meet Müller


Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I found my inspiration, but it was one of those serendipity things, where I got a suggestion from Fred in my email and had Naming The Mask on my mind...

And then I flipped over to my Google Reader to find this article in the NY Times Slap Shot blog about Robert Müller, the German goalie who's had 2 brain tumor surgeries, continuous chemotherapy, and has now been diagnosed terminally ill with the tumors, which keep returning and don't have a cure. And rather than retreating from life at this news, he is back in goal, doing what he loves for as long as his body will let him.

IIHF did a great article that lays out his whole inspiring story. If that doesn't put a lump in your throat, you might want to get checked for a pulse.

I'd actually read about him a few days ago and was really moved by his story. So, to have the story resurface right as I was pondering mask names... I dunno. Seemed like kismet to me. And I knew instantly that I had to name it Müller.

The name will remind me that no matter how difficult things get between the pipes, it's still just a game and to have fun and put my heart into it and count my blessings for the privilege of getting to play the sport I love. Thank you for sharing your courage with the rest of us, Robert.

2 comments:

hipcheck  November 21, 2008 at 1:02 PM  

Wow, that is a great story. I am speachless, I can't express what that story means.

Great choice on the name. :)

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP