Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Luck of the Irish

My exciting news for the day is being asked to tend goal for a new drop in. It's the same guys who used to run Tuesday drop-in, but now it's earlier and there's PIZZA! So, I was pretty happy to add another weeknight game to my calendar, especially with such a nice bunch of guys who really appreciate me being there. It's terribly nice to feel wanted, even though I've had some real boner games for them in the past.

Anyway, it was a fun first game tonight, even though the number of skaters was pretty low. I had some stupid goals but I did have some HUGE saves and played a game I'm happy with for the most part.

Here's what was crazy about it: The ice was tinted green for St. Patrick's Day. And I literally had NO CREASE. I mean, none. Not even a hint of one. Couldn't see any lines for that matter. My only point of reference was the bar in the center of the back of the opposite net and my own net and the boards.

At first, it was scary and frustrating missing that navigation point, but I found it freeing once I got used to it. If you can't see the crease, you eventually just play the angle and depth instinctively. It was pretty amazing, honestly. I hope I can carry some of that with me even once I can see the crease again. It actually felt really good to challenge that much (even though I would occasionally peek over my shoulder and go, "WHOA!" at how far out I was. Stopped those pretty much every time.

Had several amazing toe saves where I REALLY had to reach and kept some big rebounds out. The other goalie gave me some big stick taps at the other end, which was cool. I've never had (or at least never noticed) another goalie do that for me, even though I do it all the time. (Not that I do it so that people will do it back, but I just think it's good karma to give some love to your fellow tender.) He was also very complimentary after the game and really nice, so that was cool. Sometimes there's a little weirdness between goalies, but he was great.

Shit. I'm jacked. That was awesome.

Not the song I meant to have in my head but the one that showed up anyway and displaced "Dr. Feelgood." I think I must prefer something more mellow to keep me calm? I dunno:

8 comments:

Anonymous  March 18, 2010 at 8:10 AM  

I can't believe this, fricking Irish! Ruin everything then, green ice!
This is just an excuse to get drunk and it is orchestrated by evil multinational salesmen for those silly green hats. Nothing to do with the appreciation for Irishness or who cares or knows about St.Patrick? This must be the phoniest celebration of them all. (After the shopping craze called Christmas)

Anonymous  March 18, 2010 at 11:10 AM  

I played on the "green" ice in the game before your drop-in. It was equally as difficult for us skating out front. It was difficult to see the bluelines as well as the face off circles. Well we can say "been there, done that" now.

Regarding the other goalie, Chris. He is a good sport and a pleasure to play along side. I am glad that he could pass along some of his knowledge to you.

Ms. Conduct  March 18, 2010 at 11:19 AM  

Say hi next time! Or better, double up and come play with us. $20 and there's PIZZA and beer after! Aweeeesome.

Chris was nice to talk to me before we played and advise me on dealing with the green ice. Said just center up on the goal line and don't come out of the net until you have to. That's pretty much how I roll anyway, so that wasn't too unusual.

And I did notice more offsides than usual. We play scrimmage style though, so that's really the only place it should have bothered our skaters. No faceoffs. I really would have been screwed on that because I use the crease almost exclusively to place myself for faceoffs.

Ms. Conduct  March 18, 2010 at 11:23 AM  

LOL St. Patrick's Day is to alcohol purveyors as Valentines Day is to florists.

But hey, like I said, the green ice was a learning tool for me, so I dig it. Wouldn't want to do it every game but the novelty was worth whatever drawbacks there were.

Goody  March 18, 2010 at 2:28 PM  

It is amazing how much the paint (lines/circles/dots) subconsciously clues you in to your location on the ice. A local college has two sheets. One "regular" sheet and one "short" sheet (185 X 85). Every time I've played there, I've had really strange games. Skating backwards defending... start at the offensive blue... whoa, there's the red already... whoa, there's the defensive blue... holy crap I should be making a play already! Scores there are always really high too.

P.S. You should pop in to the gtrcmbshp occasionally.

Ms. Conduct  March 18, 2010 at 2:54 PM  

Augh, the Guitar Comb Shop guilt trip! I will, I promise. I just can't keep up there!

One of the AHL rinks... I think maybe Quad Cities (okay former AHL rinks) was undersized and that always seemed weird, even to watch.

StarryEyed  March 18, 2010 at 11:28 PM  

Woohoo WTG Ms. C!! Love reading your "I kicked ass tonight" posts, makes me want to be in a net somewhere that much more. Of course, 100degreehockey totally talked me into going to my first class this weekend, just for me to find out there's no hockey for spring break - and not until April 10. Suck. I'll get there eventually!

hipchecks  March 19, 2010 at 9:55 AM  

Whoa, that green ice looks crazy! Although not as obnoxious as the pink ice that Justin Bourne posted on his blog. :)

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP