Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Lalala Experiment Continues

You know what's weird? Playing hockey for an hour only to find out at the end that you know two of the dudes you're playing with.

That happened tonight at drop-in. I'll spare them the outing if they'll forget what a shitty goalie I am. Deal, boys?

Actually, I had a decent night considering the quality of the competition. Let some dumb ones in, but made some good saves and didn't leave hanging my head like last week. Never really felt intimidated and challenged and kept the angle down on some breakaway chances, so I feel really good about that after playing like I didn't wanna break a nail last week.

It was FAST game, thanks to having some good players in the mix and a good balance between the teams. And Fast=Fun.

Wasn't as focused as Sunday night and found myself drifting mentally a few times, especially if I didn't see a shot for a while. But that didn't happen much. I stayed busy.

Jason, the other goalie, had probably the sickest save I've ever seen outside of the pro ranks. 2 on 1 and he dove across the crease and made a mid-air glove save. The place erupted like I've never heard at a drop-in. It was a special save.

I wore my cat eye cage for the first time, too. WOW! What a difference. But one that I didn't really notice other than a complete lack of ever thinking about my cage. I definitely felt like I wasn't having to work as hard to see the puck. Felt like natural vision, rather than through a grid.For all the frustration getting it installed, it's totally worth it.

Did the music-in-the-head thing again tonight but could never settle on a song. Gonna have to be more prescriptive about that, I guess. Random choices on the radio didn't work for me. But I still believe in the strategy because I didn't find myself overthinking at all.

Underthinking was more the problem. I guess that means I should take my happy ass to bed. Ugh, shower first though. I'm gross.

One of the songs in rotation tonight. Not on purpose. I just love it and it sneaked in:

10 comments:

Drop The Gloves!  March 16, 2010 at 9:02 AM  

I just started following your blog and wanted to say that I played in net a handful of times during pickup hockey at the rink and it was the most terrifying, exhilarating, and greatest time of my hockey life.

Except for the parts when I got nailed in vulnerable spots because I don't have proper goalie form/mechanics.

Ms. Conduct  March 16, 2010 at 10:42 AM  

Awesome! Thanks for reading and for the link on your blog. Yeah, playing goal is addictive and crazy. :) I still haven't figured out why anybody wants to play any other position. :D

Drop The Gloves!  March 16, 2010 at 12:09 PM  

The first time I suited up, I remember thinking, "This is a workout in and of itself." And then when I stepped onto the ice with those crazy goalie skates, it was like trying to relearn skating.

BUT SO MUCH FUN! And such a good workout!

Ms. Conduct  March 16, 2010 at 1:40 PM  

Ha, yeah Casey, I kinda believe that you haven't REALLY experienced goal until you've done it in all the awkward gear, including skates. It's so unnatural. Yet, feels so right. :)

Drop The Gloves!  March 16, 2010 at 1:45 PM  

One of my biggest struggles was learning to use the blocker. I was constantly reaching across my body to glove pucks instead of flashing the blocker.

Also, dropping to your knees and popping right back up looks fairly easy to do when watching it on TV.

Ms. Conduct  March 16, 2010 at 2:00 PM  

Haha! Yeah, I never had that problem because I can't catch for shit. In fact, there was a time where I thought about putting blockers on both hands because my blocker side is so much better than my glove side. :)

Recovery from being down is still the hardest part of goal for me. I can still only recover on my dominant leg, and now that my knee is effed up on my non-dom leg, I've pretty much resigned to just having shitty technique in that regard. My right ass cheek is a rock though. :)

Drop The Gloves!  March 16, 2010 at 4:44 PM  

My right ass cheek is a rock though. :)

I bet you say that to all the boys.

Ms. Conduct  March 16, 2010 at 4:46 PM  

Shit, I'll say it to anybody who will listen. Though I think it heard me talking about it cuz it's sore this afternoon.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP