Sunday, September 13, 2009

Quick Hits

I've always wanted to write a novel but just never had the spark of an idea I needed to set me on my way. I may or may not have felt that spark as I was lying in bed tonight trying to fall asleep. Not a euphemism...

So, here I am, 3 pages into my novel, no clue what the plot is going to be, but will be forging ahead anyway in fits and starts with time I don't have for it.

Anyway, as I was doing some research, I ran across this article from a 1962 issue of Sports Illustrated and thought it was quite amusing. Not only for the content but the writing is just so charming. Good on SI for dragging some old classics into a modern medium.

----------------

It's been a quiet weekend and I'm finally hunkering down and getting my pre-season look at the Aeros written for PHN and Wild Nation, though I think I'll try to let this first week of Wild training camp get done before I finalize them, just to see if that answers some questions I have. And then we should get an Aeros training camp list quickly thereafter.

Then, two weeks from now, we'll have seen our first pre-season game. Which means absolutely nothing, but at least it will be live, in-person pro hockey. I don't really care who plays or what the game looks like. I just want the fix. Then I'll worry about what and whom I'm looking at.

-----------------

Finished watching the entire two seasons of Sports Night over the last couple of weeks. Fantastic show. I don't think I could have appreciated it before as much as I do now. Granted, the show isn't about sports, but a lot of the obsession with the job that drives some of the characters IS related to a love of sports that I think you have to share to appreciate why it lights their fire like it does.

But now I'm back to working my way through the Trailer Park Boys and can I just say, there is nothing better to watch after playing hockey. I don't know what it is, other than it's just so raw and funny and ridiculous, but also warm in its own warped way, it's great filler for any rough edges I'm feeling after a game. So, ya know, there's a pro tip from me to you other goalies out there.

Speaking of pro tips, I was quizzing a goalie (who's definitely been there) about how to survive this 3 in 3 I've got coming up and he suggested Endurox as a recovery drink, which I remember a fellow marathon friend being a fan, too. I always went for PowerBar recovery shakes, which I can't seem to find any more.

So $33 later, I'm the proud owner of a meathead-sized tub of Endurox powder. And it's orange flavor. I hate fake orange flavor, but I went to 3 stores and only REI had any at all and only had that flavor so... orange it is.

Wondering if the benefits of the drink would be negated too terribly by the addition of vodka.

-----------------------

Hey, raise your hand if you were out drinking with Clutter Wednesday night! Yeah... Twitter is awesome. Hope everyone enjoyed their last gasp of summer vacay because it's on now, boys. Go get 'em.

-----------------------

I blessedly got out of having to go to the Texans/Jets game tomorrow, though I was kinda looking forward to annoying Bourne, a Jets fan, with my tweeting about it. Alas, I will just be shuttling Mr.C and his friend, also a Jets fan, to and from the game. And in between, I can get some work done while watching the Texans lose from the comfort of my sofa.

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!

This post needs pictures. Here's a song I like for reasons I can't figure out, but it seems appropriate for a 3:30 a.m. blog post:

8 comments:

Nicky Robinson  September 13, 2009 at 4:44 AM  

I've got 2 games tonight (Sunday) in 4 hours, including a 110 minute pickup that kills me dead every time. Not sure that's worse than your 3-in-3. Anyway, gonna try and make it on Gatorade and Odwalla protein bars. But I'll be trying the Endurox, too. What the heck is "Trailer Park Boys"? Hopefully google will know. Good luck gettign through... get sleep!

Ms. Conduct  September 13, 2009 at 9:04 AM  

I think you win. I'd rather do 3 in 3 than 110 min pickup + another game. At least I have some time to recover. Plus, it's so hard to drink enough during pickup games due to lack of stoppages. I need to get a LOT better about that now that I'm playing more of those.

Meanwhile... Trailer Park Boys is a Canadian series that's hilarious. There's a movie, too, but I haven't gotten there yet. Gotta be cool with a LOT of f-bombs, but otherwise, awesome show. Took me a few episodes to get into it, but I love it. You can watch them online here (episode 1).

Kirsten  September 13, 2009 at 1:58 PM  

That song reminds me of Portland. It just has that sound to it. Good Lord, the west coast has got me!

Aubrey  September 13, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

That SI article was awesome. A tiny French Canadian goalie/boxer with a drunken monkey... Nothing in the present day can top the crazy old stories of the NHL :D

Ms. Conduct  September 13, 2009 at 2:41 PM  

Yep, goalies used to be a lot more interesting. Now they're all Finnish, level headed, and square to the puck at all times. Yawn.

Nicky Robinson  September 13, 2009 at 4:19 PM  

Oh awesome. Will check out Trailer Park Boys when I get home after pickup and can't spin down for 3 hours. Let us know how your Sunday game goes.

Ms. Conduct  September 13, 2009 at 6:09 PM  

You have the 3 hour spin down, too? Goalie pads should come with an Ambien prescription.

Anonymous  September 13, 2009 at 7:02 PM  

Good luck with the novel.

I too was wondering what Trailer Park Boys was. I have seen you mention it numerous times.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP