Saturday, May 30, 2009

Aeros Equipment Sale

Well, that was fun and enlightening. I went to the sale basically just wanting one of the goalie cut practice jerseys to have a little variety in my game night wardrobe. And maybe if the sticks were a decent price and the right size, I'd grab one of those.

Mission accomplished on both fronts, though now that I get the jersey home, I realize it's a little more beat up than I noticed (you know, in the throes of "OMGBARRYWORETHIS!" like you all know I totally was). The logo on the front is practically falling off and has been re-stitched several times. I'll have to get the ol' needle and thread out to keep the big hole from getting worse.

Also, it's red. And I play for the green team. Against the red team. Suppose it will confuse them into not shooting on me? Red's so pretty... and doesn't show the blood of ones enemies.

Other than that, it's pretty beat up with puck marks and wear, so naturally it's gorgeous and I love it. It wasn't worth the money but I'm a sucker.

Also, after perusing the sticks (and may I just say... I love you, Nolan, but I wish you were right-handed because those Montreal sticks are just f**king gorgeous, but totally useless to me), I settled on one of Dimples' sticks. I happened to have my stick in the car and they match up really well, though his shaft is longer. Heh. No really, it is. Like by a couple of inches.

And the stick was actually a pretty good deal considering what they cost from a pro shop or online.

Got to meet a couple of T3I readers, which was awesome. Shout out to Joy, Josh, and Ann. Thanks for the kind words about the site. :)

The hightlight... well, one of several, was while I was waiting in line to pay, the goalie gear was next to me, so I investigated Brusty's old pads a bit. I was driving home and trying to think of how to compare a pro's pads to mine.

The best I can think of is this:

  • Barry's pads are like the cushiest mattress, with a down pillowtop, 5 blankets, and a down comforter.
  • My pads are like a cot and a beach towel.
Of course, I don't need nice pads for the once or twice a week of beer league I play, so it's no big deal, but living in Houston where I can't just walk into a store and play around with goalie gear, it was kind of amazing to see how snazzy the high-end pads are. I could have spent another 20 minutes just looking at all the flaps and layers and stuff.

The gloves and blockers are SO light, too. And they don't stink. And don't have holes. *sigh* It's like a fantasy land.

Schultzie was there, lurking in the hallway. Nice to see a player, though it must be weird seeing people pawing through their stinky old torn-up shit.

The other highlight, besides all things goalie (and I think every kid goalie in Houston was there, plus some adult ones), was the room they were using for the used sticks was the hot tub room. I'll admit, I spent a quiet moment pondering that scene in-season. Yes ma'am.......

Anyway, it was well-organized affair and I'm happy with my haul. I've got a stick to tape and sewing to do.

9 comments:

AerosFan  May 30, 2009 at 10:07 PM  

the tub room LOL

Unknown  May 31, 2009 at 8:34 AM  

I would have loved perusing the gear. The closest thing I have is my husbands, hole-y, beat up practice jersey from college. Well, I say it's my husband's. But it's really mine now.

Hope you're having a good week.

Ms. Conduct  May 31, 2009 at 8:51 AM  

Su, I'm sure the junior teams around there do equipments sales after the season. Seems like most teams do.

BReynolds  June 1, 2009 at 8:50 AM  

On the red jersey:

There once was a pirate captain that every time his crew went into battle he wore a red shirt. Asked once about why he wore the red shirt into battle, he replied "Arg, that way if I be injured, me crew will not see me blood and panic."

Two days later the captain is looking through his scope and sees enemy ships in numbers he has never seen before. He calls for his first mate. "Yer shirt cp'n?"

"Yar, no, bring me my brown pants."

Glad you had fun at the sale. They do things similar up here every season for the Wild, but Backs' stick sells for about $1000.

Ms. Conduct  June 1, 2009 at 9:16 AM  

Ha! Thanks, B. That's good.

Yeah, I can only imagine what NOT good deals you'd get at the NHL version of these things. I think the only thing that had a real premium on it was a signed Kolanos stick. The goalie gear was a good price for the quality of the gear, but still too rich for my blood.

I heard one kid saying he bought some pads last season and ended up selling them for $600 (but was feeling pucks through them, so somebody got ripped off).

Rob  June 1, 2009 at 11:20 AM  

Picked up a green jersey in good shape Saturday, will swap if you'd like.

Ms. Conduct  June 1, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

Ah, thanks Rob, but I've already been taken care of!

I will admit, however, that I'm sitting here working in my red sweater right now. :D Smells pleasantly of hockey... not the ass smell like my gloves. Just a little musty, like a locker room.

Snikpip  June 2, 2009 at 8:15 PM  

Yes'm, another fun yet functional Equipment Sale gone by. Who was that guy at the very front of the line? Does he have no life in order to be there almost 4 hours ahead of time? :D (Hey! I wanted to be sure that I got the 'Stoner' plates.)

Ended up with one of the goalie practice jerseys, also (the red looked good). A few thread pulls, puck marks and one small tear by the left-hand propellor of the logo.
Got Mojzis' helmet (my number - 4), other nameplates, hats, pucks, t-shirt. I was trying to control myself. But, then I saw the hot-tub room. Geez, Louise. End result--Schaef's lime green stick lives at my house now. (The puck marks match the picture that Fred took.)

I couldn't resist trying out a glove and blocker while I was waiting to unload some digital dough, also. But, as far as them not stinking, I believe I'm gonna have to have a slightly different opinion than yours. :)

Unfortunately, I was too caught up in the whole sale to even think about trying to find some of the blog crowd. It was still fun.

Ms. Conduct  June 2, 2009 at 11:54 PM  

Very nice, Snik! And ifyou think their gloves stink, you should smell mine sometime. If there was a bacteria olympics, my gloves are taking home the gold....;)

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP