Thursday, October 22, 2009

So, Cal...



Amazing to think this time last season, Clutter was just revealing himself (not in a streaker way, but in a hockey way) to the Minnesotans. I was holding my breath wondering both how his game would translate up there and how the sometimes-stuffy (oh, just accept it, you are!) Minnesota hockey fans would accept his edgy style of play.

Well, it didn't take long to breathe regular again because he couldn't have approached his entry into the NHL with any more poise and intelligence.

Anyway, he seems to continue to constantly raise the expectation level and make bigger, better paid, more lauded NHLers look like candyasses. This time he's doing it with the dreaded high ankle sprain, which lays most guys out for weeks on end, and even then, they take a long time to get back to where they were before the injury.

I actually wasn't quite sure what a high ankle sprain was exactly. I mean, the ankle isn't that big, but apparently there's enough of it to have a high and a low. Here's some info on it. Note that even for a "stable" sprain, it's 3-6 weeks in a cast.

But of course, Cal is back on the ice already, trying to get back in game shape and shake off the tentativeness that comes with recovering from an injury.

Of course, whenever you have something injured, you compensate with other parts of your body, which can throw your whole body out of whack. Hopefully they're guarding against that, or at least treating with that phenomenon in mind. Otherwise, you end up straining the opposing muscles, jacking up your back, etc. Got the t-shirt on that one.

Anyway, I think it's interesting that they're letting him go full bore already. Given my experience with soft tissue injuries, it does make some sense. It will be interesting to see if the approach works to get him going sooner with this particular injury though. I've never seen anyone not just wait it out, though I know a few guys have in playoff situations.

I'm not typically one for medical stuff, but sports medicine is pretty interesting to me, mainly because I've spent a stupid amount of time and money being hurt, misdiagnosed, mistreated, etc. so I've had to do a lot of research on my own to get the right treatment.

Luckily I haven't hurt anything yet playing hockey that hasn't mostly gotten better on its own or with a visit to the chiro or massage therapist. Knock on wood. Though I am getting a lot of pucks to the head lately. I'm hoping it makes me smarter.

4 comments:

KiPA - Kevin in PA  October 22, 2009 at 7:43 PM  

Hopefully it doesn't backfire and he ends up re-aggravating the injury. I'm also no doctor so I don't know how best to treat it. Is working the ankle the right way rather than rest and staying off it? Hard to think that'd be true but who knows. Maybe they even misdiagnosed it the first time. I know three big-name Pittsburgh athletes (one football player, a defensive rookie of the year who I don't think is in the league any more; and Crosby and Fleury) missed much of a season because of a high-ankle sprain.

So, hopefully letting him on the ice won't be a bad thing.

(See? I'm being nice now. Pessimistic, but nice.)

Ms. Conduct  October 22, 2009 at 7:46 PM  

I share those concerns. I think I'd call myself hopefully pessimistic here.

Dan  October 22, 2009 at 8:48 PM  

I just wanted to say that "maxwell's silver hammer" is a good song.


And we direly need Cal's physical presence (both literally and figuratively) back in the lineup.

walkinvisible  October 22, 2009 at 9:29 PM  

psst: bob luongo pass it on.

(this is, of course, for the benefit of KiPA).

:)

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP