Thursday, February 24, 2011

Martin Havlat is Overrated

Remember that scene from Office Space where Peter is at the hypnotherapist's office and he asks if there's a way the doctor could hypnotize him to not realize he's been at work all day. Like, he could just come home and think he'd been fishing all day?

That's how I feel about Martin Havlat. I appreciate that he's a proficient scorer, assuming he's happy and his pillows are properly fluffed and he has his red Gatorade or whatever prima donna scorers like him must have to be successful.

But I wish there were a way to just.... not see him play hockey... until he's putting the puck in the net. I hate every other thing about his game.

I hate that he tucks his jersey in the back. I hate that his idea of forechecking is just leeeeeaaaaning way out and half-heartedly poking in the general vicinity of the guy with the puck (never close enough to actually get touched).

I hate how he floats in the defensive zone, keeping just busy enough to not stand out as completely worthless, but still being completely worthless.

I'm sure he's a nice guy but if I were making a list of hockey players I'd want to go into battle with out there, he wouldn't even make the back-up list. I wouldn't even want him in the building.

So, while Chicago fans had Havlat Jesus, all I have is "JESUS, Havlat...."

11 comments:

bozak911  February 24, 2011 at 11:30 PM  

i completely agree, but that opinion is not popular...

MnWildGirl  February 24, 2011 at 11:42 PM  

Totally disagree! He has contributed a lot to this team thus year! Look at his numbers! While I respect your opinion, I disagree and love Marty!

Anonymous  February 24, 2011 at 11:59 PM  

You have so many good reasons for your hate, the way he tucks his jersey?? I never wanted Havlat to go to Minnesota for just this reason, cold, unfeeling, "witty" fans who love to hate their players. Is it the cold weather that makes you all so bitter??
To bad Havlat couldn't go somewhere where people actually stand up for their players instead of taking joy in tearing them down

Ms. Conduct  February 25, 2011 at 12:06 AM  

:) Yeah, "we" Minnesotans are all cold and bitter people who hate our players. I'm glad you got my point.

Anonymous  February 25, 2011 at 12:30 AM  

And your point being he has 502 points in 604 games, 206 goals, 295 assists, scored 3 goals in three games, has 38 game winning goals, 60 PP goals, ranks 25th in the league in scoring, and you don't like the "way" he plays. Has played on lines with about every player on the Wild and Blackhawks and still manages those point totals, but you don't like the way he "floats". He should definitely change it up, cause its just not working for him. Maybe then his style won't "bother" you so much

JL  February 25, 2011 at 8:53 AM  

I really like his game, but he's more of a complimentary player than a guy who does it all. And I do think he plays much better when he's pissed off, otherwise he can be kind of floaty.

I don't think he's overrated though. People don't think much of him other than being a skilled guy who's definitely not a top talent. Production- and pay-wise, he's right where he's expected to be.

Ms. Conduct  February 25, 2011 at 8:57 AM  

Yeah, I know. Overrated is a strong term, and I can't really argue other than I actually really do hate to watch him play.

But he WAS an All-Star... I don't get that, but nobody else questioned it that I saw.

But when Cal Clutterbuck spends most of the year ahead of you in goal scoring on the team and your whole thing is offensive play (cuz sweet baby Jesus, it sure isn't defensive), I dunno if that makes you an All-Star.

Eric  February 25, 2011 at 7:40 PM  

Thought you were talking about Koivu as over-rated, with his big monster contract he'll never live up to. I like Havlat's style, he was killer last night, him and Backstrom are the best players MN's got.
Wanted him to come to LA, they offered him a contract but he wouldn't bite,ended up choosing mediocre Minnesota-what a waste. I'm assuming you're not a Wild fan, it you are, well, thats just messed up.

Dee  March 1, 2011 at 12:55 AM  

I agree with you on Havlat being overrated. He's always made me think of a certain franchice player who walked away from the Wild... Tonight's game was a perfect example of what makes Havlat so irritating: sure he scored a goal and got an assist. And yet he was a -2 on the night. He's a defensive liability for the most part and his goals typically come when he's been floating on the blue line, cherry-picking or by sheer luck (coming out of the penalty box). Very rarely is it based on hard work, shift in and shift out. Can Marty play like a man possessed? Sure, when he feels like it. Otherwise you'll find him floating somewhere on the outskirts of where the play is happening. Or, like tonight, flinching while urning away as an opponenet makes a pass out of their own defensive zone.

Ms. Conduct  March 1, 2011 at 1:00 AM  

You're my new favorite, Dee. EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Can you fucking imagine how effective he'd be if he actually tried hard for entire shifts? Jesus.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP