Monday, July 6, 2009

Hockeyless Sunday

Feels weird to have a Monday without the usual post-game analysis from Sunday night. I did enjoy a Sunday without butterflies in my tummy and constant monitoring/massaging of my mental state and worrying about what to eat for dinner so I won't barf it up.

I used to wonder if goalies started off crazy or became crazy as a hazard of the job. I think it's both. You just become a different kind of crazy.

I was pretty good about working out this week. Something was sore pretty much all the time. My knee still feels like shit but I accidentally did a little experiment. On Friday and Saturday, I used my Stretch-a-flex (don't laugh, it's awesome once you get used to it... I hear that even Jukka Ropponen had Nik Backstrom using it during summer training) to really give my groins, quads, hamstrings a big stretch.

For the first time in a while, I didn't wake up at 4 a.m. with my knee throbbing either night (I also started wearing a knee brace to bed... I flop around a lot in the summer trying to stay cool and thought maybe I was hurting it in the process).

But yesterday, I gave my legs a break and just did some Wii boxing and tennis and then played catch with Mr. C, so I didn't stretch. I wore the knee brace to bed but, yet again, I woke up at 4 a.m. with my knee aching.

So, I guess I'm Ms. Stretchy for the foreseeable future.

I also realized that one of the things I'd quit doing since My Coaching Staff ramped up my training was yoga. I know that when I do yoga regularly, my knees crunch less and I'm more limber, so I need to fit that back in a couple of times a week.

The thought I'm left with now is, do I seriously have to work out 2 hours a day to be a beer league goalie?

I think the answer is: When you don't start until you're 33, yes.

COME ON!






In other news:

I'm still watching other teams sign guys for their AHL clubs. The Wolves/Thrash organization is scaring me the most thus far. If they can get their chemistry better, they're going to be a real pain in the ass this season. Especially if the Aeros don't sign a few ringers pronto. I know there's management transition to deal with but seriously... let's go get a few free agents, please.

I wasn't too sure about The Zombie Kopitar but this video endears me. I love his dad.


But I still wanna be Sarah Spain when I grow up. Dammit. She's fucking fabulous.


It's supposed to rain today. If you haven't been in Houston for the last month, you can't properly appreciate the pleasure that will bring the city. But trust me, it's a shit load of pleasure.

6 comments:

artsnhockey  July 6, 2009 at 5:28 PM  

Hey, we are in Houston! Better Half and I watched MIRACLE again... for the nth time.. when the microphones at blade level pick up the 'crunch'... we actually felt COLD!The power of auto sugestion?

Ms. Conduct  July 6, 2009 at 6:47 PM  

Ahh! Magical! I don't think I have any hockey videos! We had Netflix for so long, I could always just order up what I wanted to watch, so I never bought any.

artsnhockey  July 7, 2009 at 3:33 PM  

It was B Day gift from... you guessed it... another hockey fan. Thanks to that friend who understands the passion for hockey (the game, of course ;)!
Others favor opera....:-) and some Spanish ones Los Toros AND Toreros ...

Ms. Conduct  July 7, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

AH crap! I forgot to wish you a happy birthday!!!

Hope it was a really nice day! I'm sorry I missed acknowledging it on time. Between you and me, I think I was still in a Lusty Brusty head space on Friday. :)

artsnhockey  July 7, 2009 at 4:01 PM  

Apology accepted.. the power of those blues ;) ;)
But things are heating up elsewhere too. Season to start October 2 - second !!! So many games in San Antone, Austin...I see roadtrips to Austin for the games. San Antone, we'll probably book into our WOR Hyatt time share if those games are not Friday here, Saturday there, Sunday back here!
The plumbers next door rotorooting away, drive my batty... am getting outa here!

Ms. Conduct  July 7, 2009 at 4:10 PM  

I'm telling you! I'm absolutely helpless.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP