Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Verbeauty and what's left of the playoffs

I feel like a shark without an ocean in the NHL right now as I don't really give a rat's ass about any of the teams left in the playoffs. I've watched a few games but have been pretty consumed with the Aeros and haven't found a team worth adopting for the playoffs.

I don't even care about any of the goalies, which is pretty amazing considering it doesn't take a whole hell of a lot for a goalie to turn me on. I guess Ozzie's kinda got an Opie-like charm and a little leather-flashing razzle-dazzle, but he plays for Detroit, who are just too perfect for me to find lovable.

In fact, I think I only like him because he seems like their weakest link at times, but then overcomes it when he needs to. I guess I like my goalies a bit flawed.

There are a lot of people on the Chicago bandwagon for a variety of reasons that I totally get, but I'm not on it myself. They're too Jonas Brothers, young and sweet. But my exception to the rule is the boy-bandiest of them all, Kris Versteeg, who is so adorable he got his very own category in my rookie rankings earlier this year.

Here's a great article about him, and about the chemistry in the Hawks room, and his part in it. We're not really hearing much about chemistry from any team but this one. Seems like when you've gone further than anybody expected, people want to credit chemistry rather than talent. And maybe that's fair. I think that's at least partly the case here with the Aeros.

Anyway, I'm always fascinated by the whole team chemistry thing, so that was a good read. But it also makes you realize how easily a douchebag or two could really fuck it up and wonder how many teams out there are pretty dysfunctional. Sounds like the Wild were getting to be that way this season.

Then I wonder, is it harder to build good chemistry in the NHL than in the lower leagues where guys are younger and don't have kids and wives distracting them? But then the roster changes so frequently with call ups and fill ins, there's that kind of instability... Things I Ponder About Hockey for $100, Alex.

Back to the playoffs and on to the Pens... I just can't deal with Fleury. And in fact, I just don't really care for the Pens at all. And it's not even a Crosby thing. In fact, he's about the only one on the team I *DO* like, mostly because he's so vilified, which just makes him more appealing. I'm contrary like that.

And finally Carolina... I kinda pull for them because my pal Schultzie loves 'em for some reason (why is that? I've never asked).

I've never seen a whole game of theirs, I don't think. I don't really enjoy hurricanes, so they kinda dredge up bad feelings with that name of theirs... both in the "hey, where'd my roof go?" and the "one blurry, vomity weekend in New Orleans" sense.

So, I dunno. I hate being "homeless" at playoff time. Usually there's ONE team in it that I love or hate or just has a goalie I like. Not so much right now.

Hey, maybe I could sell my fandom on Craig's List and make a little dough? For $200 I'll cheer for your NHL team like they were my own, superstitions and all.

Any takers out there?

--------------

Shout out to Ritch at AmericanHockeyFan.com for pimping Ms. Conduct on his blog today. He's bringing the Bruins-funny over there. Go check it out. I love finding a new blog that's funny and not afraid to drop some strategic f-bombs. That makes my fucking day.

9 comments:

Jennifer Hammer  May 20, 2009 at 2:51 PM  

When I first got into hockey on TV (admittedly took a bit to be able to follow the puck) I didn't care, I just watched whoever.

Then in 2006 I found myself really glued to Carolina because of the aggressive forechecking style they used. None of this defensive trap and all that bullshit. Not that defense isn't valuable, but their style relied on speed and skill, going quick to the net, not being afraid to pinch.

That year, 2006, it obviously worked for them (see Cup, Stanley). The next year(s) it did not. Mostly because the defense was so porous. You have to have very solid reliable defense to run that sort of risky forecheck.

Oh and that Eric Staal *swoon*
and Cam Ward. and man, I could just not love that Chad LaRose any more. If you want to see a heart and soul player, he's your guy.

Does that cover it? you didn't actually ask, but I told ya anyways :)

Ms. Conduct  May 20, 2009 at 2:55 PM  

I was, in fact, asking in my own round about way. Good interpretation of Ms.ConductSpeak. Well done! Something I'd always meant to ask about.

You know who I do like is that coach of theirs. Could he be more deadpan? I love that.

Jennifer Hammer  May 20, 2009 at 2:58 PM  

Paul Maurice has the sexiest voice. I don't even care what he's saying or not saying, it's sexyyyy.

Speaking of Carolina coaches, I loved Laviolette, but he apparently had lost the locker room.

I never thought Mo's second run in Raleigh would be so successful, especially after he tanked in Toronto (not that he had a lot to work with)

But I imagine after the success of the 'Canes after the transition, the "interim" will be removed from his job description. That is, unless they think Ron Francis is ready to take the reigns.

Goody  May 20, 2009 at 3:19 PM  

Chemistry:
Sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't. It doesn't make any sense and to try to figure out why usually kills it. Kinda the same as with personal relationships.

Ms. Conduct  May 20, 2009 at 3:45 PM  

Yeah, Goody, but my main skill is analyzing shit that I should just leave the fuck alone. Probably why L/R chemistry fascinates me so.

Schultzie, I saw Mo on Hodge Stove League a few weeks back and just really liked him. It's funny, that show does a good job letting a person's personality come through. Like Colin Campbell came across as just a MFing asshole. Bruce Boudreau was adorable. I even came away from Burke's liking him.

Sunshine36616  May 20, 2009 at 5:46 PM  

I'm pulling for Chicago, I love Khabibulin. I'm not an Ozzy fan although I will admit I love how cute he is and that he looks just like Elroy Jetson.

I'm pulling for the Pens because I adore Fleury. When he returned from injury this season, his first game was in Atlanta. I made him a "Welcome back Flower" sign and he skated over and tapped the glass at me. H-E-A-V-E-N

Also, The Canes have destroyed my playoffs this year so I want them to go down.

Ms. Conduct  May 20, 2009 at 5:53 PM  

Okay, SOLD to the Tapping Flower! That's so full of win I can hardly stand it!

Still not down with Bulin though. Meh. But you're right, Ozzie does look like Elroy. Which is just impossibly adorable to consider.

Actually, odds are I'll still just hope for all the scores to be 1-0 so none of the goalies ever feel TOO bad.

Sunshine36616  May 20, 2009 at 7:57 PM  

I have a side by side of Ozzy and Elroy on my blog: http://gettingpucksdeep.blogspot.com/2009/03/vomit.html He is pretty adorable....not so much while hanging on to Byfuglien's leg last night.

I like Khabibulin for reasons even a puck bunny would turn their nose up at....I like the way his hair sticks out all crazy when he wears his mask. They can't all be GOOD reasons why I like someone lol.

Ms. Conduct  May 21, 2009 at 8:24 AM  

Sunshine, the hair poking out of the mask holes totally makes me swoon, too. I can't remember who was down here recently that had that going on. Thought it might be Legace but I couldn't find any of Fred's pics of it...

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP