Thursday, April 2, 2009

I. Love. This. Post.

There's a relatively new site called The Goalie Guild and a post there yesterday resonated with me big time.

I had actually written a post Monday about the place in my heart that being a goalie has taken over. About how awestruck I am that I'm The Goalie for a team of hockey players. The position is just so precious to me, both as a fan of the sport and as a player, I really can't even express it.

But I deleted it because it got sappy and embarrassing and made me feel too vulnerable (for once, full disclosure of my inner world didn't win... is this good or bad?)

However, the gist was that every week I feel so incredibly privileged to partake not only in such an amazing sport, but to get to play a position where what I do matters every single game, where I'm integral to the fabric of the team on the ice, but still sort of playing a game of my own, not really understood by the rest of the people on the ice except the guy at the other end. There's just nothing else like it, my friends. Nothing.

I don't quite have the words for it just yet, but I thought this TGG post came quite close to expressing what I cannot. Any coincidence we're both Texas kids?

Also, the video really is hilarious. Even if you read my blog and don't care about goaltending, go watch the video.

Meanwhile, even though they still hurt like the dickens, my bruises from Sunday never got photo-worthy. Boo! But if you see me in person, I'll be happy to show 'em to you. :D

2 comments:

BReynolds  April 2, 2009 at 8:37 AM  

Being a goalie... no THE goalie, is something few people get to experience. No need to be ashamed of it, though don't expect the general masses to understand.

Ms. Conduct  April 2, 2009 at 8:51 AM  

Yeah, I guess that's what's so magical about it to me. Nobody's a goalie because they have to be. It's too difficult and expensive to pick up unless you feel called to it. I think for most goalies, the position speaks to them on some primal level. At least that's how I feel about it.

Most athletic things I've done in my life, I've felt like I'm swimming against the current. With goaltending, I feel like I'm swimming with it. That's about as good an analogy as I can think of.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP