Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Open Net; Feeling Good

I'm reading Open Net by George Plimpton, about the time he played in net for the Bruins during training camp and then played a bit in an exhibition game.

Not quite halfway through and I find it... not hard to read but not written like I want it to be written. But I'll reserve further judgement until I've finished.

However, I loved this line about when a goal is scored and I had to share it:

The puck sits in the nets like a dog's mess on the carpet. 
I can't really think of a better way to put it. I'm so repulsed by pucks in my net, I won't touch them. Once I see the puck's in the net, I won't even turn around again. I'm done with it.

The ref or my defense have to fish it out, because I've moved on to my "spend 10 seconds figuring out what went wrong and then forget it" routine. Sometimes I forget to move out of the way. Like, that puck might as well be in orbit around Jupiter for how much I want to do with it after it's in.

----------------------------

Fun game tonight at Memorial City. I played with this group once before, back before Christmas, and wasn't happy with my game, but I feel like I did a good job learning their rhythm and tendencies in that game and it paid off tonight.

One guy kept getting breakaways and trying wrap-arounds, which was nice practice, and probably a good break because he's good and could have put it in on me at will if he wanted. The only one that went in I got, but it slid around the base of my pads and Bonnie banged it home because I had no idea it was just sitting in front of me.

For the life of me, I don't understand why defensemen won't SAY something when I'm sitting there stock still thinking I have it. Tell me I don't have it so I can get the flippers going or something! Oy.

But that's alright. This group is lousy with positivity, such that it tempers my natural ... what shall we call it... bitchiness? :)

It's a real credit to them how they integrate very novice players with very experienced players at this skate. The pace is steady and not annoying for the goalie like some novice level games can be. Speaking of which, my goalie brothers and sisters might enjoy this article from The Goalie Guild on playing casually vs. attentively.

It provided some clarity for me around LOOKING casual vs. BEING casual. I love goalies who have the confidence to be quiet in net and it comes across as being casual. So when I started playing and mimicked that style of "presence" in net, I confused looking casual with being casual. I'm finally learning that I MUST be attentive, but I can be quiet in the process.

Anyway, just read the article. It's good stuff.

And good luck to the Harpies in Vegas!

--------------------------

I feel good. :) But please send some healing booboo love out to my goalies Maalivahti and Brusty who are both dinged up. I least I hope Brusty is just dinged up. My girl Maalivahti is a little more than dinged up. Send her some love, please, Goalie Union.

5 comments:

Nick  January 27, 2011 at 12:11 PM  

Ah, c'mon ... help the refd out a bit (providing they're not totally effing you over) and pull the puck out of the net for them. Those little kinds of things can help buy you a quicker whistle or get a little more consideration thrown your way on a questionable call.

My d-men don't say squat to me either. I think their lips go numb the closer they are to the crease. Funny, they have no problem saying 'sit' or 'cover' when they're wiped and need a change!

Ms. Conduct  January 27, 2011 at 12:48 PM  

It's not a conscious thing to screw the ref. It's just how I react to a goal. If they ask me to fish it out (some have if they're tired or whatever) and I don't mind, and even apologize, but it literally never crosses my mind. It's in and I'm getting ready for the next shot.

Anonymous  January 27, 2011 at 1:16 PM  

I am the opposite with the puck. As soon as i can i get it out of the net. I dont wanna see it sit there. Even fling it up the ice sometimes. Might look like i am rattled but i just wanna start the game again so i can erase the memory and get a good flow going again.

D-men dont like to speak i guess other then like nick says "Funny, they have no problem saying 'sit' or 'cover' when they're wiped and need a change!" But God forbid they tell you its at your feet or not covered. Maybe they are not able to articulate "move your right leg pad back 3 inches!"??

Moose

Ms. Conduct  January 27, 2011 at 1:31 PM  

See? Every goalie is different. I get needing it out of there. Just never became a habit.

Yeah, I do think it's more an issue of not knowing what to say to alert you in a way that you can fix it. But if it's gonna go in anyway because you're sitting there like a statue not wanting to accidentally knock it in... well, just say ANYTHING. Just "YOU DON"T HAVE IT" or "STICK SIDE" or something and even if it doesn't work, I'll love them for trying.

maalivahti  February 6, 2011 at 9:02 AM  

Thanks for the call for healing mojo for me. :)

Tow things: that line from Plimpton's book burned itself in my brain instantly. I read that book years ago and that line still comes to mind after a goal sometimes. As for fishing it out or not... sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. If I'm really pissed off I'll skate to the corner and back, and a teammate or the ref will get it. Sometimes I just get it out of there asap.

I have to say all the D I've played with have been great about yelling to me if I don't have it. Just quick stuff like "other side!" if I'm looking the wrong way or "right leg!" etc. They'll also yell "under you!" if I'm looking around for it like a dumbass and I actually *do* have it. ;) My D are awesome, gotta give them props.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP