Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Shutout. For Realsies.

I remember back when I had that shutout that I lost ultimately in the shootout. I was moaning about it to Scott and he said something that stuck with me: Everybody wants that first shutout, but you'll find that it wasn't your best game and there are games you let goals in that you're a lot more proud of.

And he's right. We got a shutout tonight 100% because my girls played like rock stars and kept the puck away from me, not because of any grand effort on my part. I saw maybe 10-15 shots tonight in 42 minutes of play. I was bored, honestly, and I played just fine and handled the shots I saw, but nothing heroic.

I tell ya though, I had the clock behind me in the third and I knew time was running down, but there was no way I was looking back at the clock to see how much was left. I was DYING to know. But I knew the buzzer would be that much more satisfying if it came as a surprise.

I normally don't react to wins. Just go out and shake hands and smile a little more. But I allowed myself a little fist pump after the final buzzer. I feel like I've come so close so many times, I at least earned that. A shutout is a special thing for a goalie, even when it's not exactly earned the hard way.

So, that was nice and now I can scratch that off my bucket list. Only took 2 years and 4 months in net to nail that one down.

It was also cool that it came when I had friends watching the game. Usually when I have someone I know there to watch, I choke. So, I've got witnesses if nothing else. :)

It was a fun night. Some tasty food and drinks and jello shots after the game and a good time with the girls. I love this bunch a whole lot.

-------------------------

So I went back to wearing my pads loose and they seemed to be rotating better. Also, I found that my suspenders had lengthened on the right side, so I hiked those up to where they're supposed to be. I guess I'm going to have to glue or stitch them in place. That could be part of the problem. The pads felt a lot better tonight.

--------------------------

I haven't written about Brusty in a while because I think I've said it all at this point. But these quotes from him today (er, yesterday) are particularly delectable. Props to my *ahem* second favorite AHL beat writer, Joy Lindsay, for getting these.

The stuff about his appreciation for where he is now vs. the last couple of years, both health-wise and organizational respect-wise, as well as the bonding in post-season stuff gave me goosebumps. The guy is just a straight up great quote. Beat writer gold.

And honestly, it takes some effort to give thoughtful answers. Not too many guys will be so earnest and honest.

Rooting hard for Bingo to lock up their playoff spot tomorrow!

-----------------------------

Just because we did a little post-game bootie shaking to this one in the bar tonight....



"My anaconda don't want none unless you got buns, hun." - Best Lyric Ever

12 comments:

Kramer  April 6, 2011 at 6:37 AM  

I am very happy for you! and part of me is kind of feeling like aww my little goalie is all grown up now getting her first shutout.

Great job!

Nick  April 6, 2011 at 10:04 AM  

Congrats, Mrs. C! Say, I was curious if you ever got to try the pizza-slice-angle thing I wrote you about awhile back? Did it help you?

Kramer  April 6, 2011 at 10:38 AM  

Hey Nick I used that analogy at my goalie clinic on Monday night with another guy. Good wisdom with the pizza slice!

Ms. Conduct  April 6, 2011 at 10:38 AM  

I remember reading it and thinking it was valuable but now I can't remember the specifics. Must have gone in one ear and out the other. Do you remember which post it was on? I should probably read it again!

klemmer  April 6, 2011 at 2:01 PM  

Actually, my friend, if you lose a 1-0 shootout, you get credit for the bagel and charged with the loss....

You can thank Bettman for that one.

Ms. Conduct  April 6, 2011 at 2:07 PM  

Yeah, I know technically it is, but I think we can all agree, spiritually, it isn't. :)

It was a MUCH better game for me though. Lots of shots, got 'em all. It was incredible.

klemmer  April 6, 2011 at 2:27 PM  

Tough call there.

I think shootouts are a stupid way to end a game, and it looks like the NHL is agreeing, since a tie breaker is Regulation or OT wins...

How about Cujo's line one game. He came in for the shootout and lost. His line read: TOI: 0:00, shots 0, goals 0, loss.

That said, I LOVE playing in them, as it gives me a chance to make up for any weak goals I may have let in...

Ms. Conduct  April 6, 2011 at 2:37 PM  

Ha, wow, some line.

Yeah, honestly, my feelings on shootouts relate almost directly to how I did in the last one.

My very first shootout, I stopped all of them and I was over. the. moon. about it. I LOVED the shootout until I lost that shutout to it and was absolutely crushed about it. Hated the shootout. Still haven't totally gotten over that yet, I don't think. Last one was so-so, so at the moment I'm kinda "meh" on it.

Got lit up in the breakaway drill at clinic Monday, so I'm especially "meh." Nothing makes me hate skaters more than a shootout drill.

Nick in New York  April 8, 2011 at 11:05 AM  

Good on ya!

I remember my first (and only) shutout like it was yesterday. Came in a playoff game, to boot. Since then I've registered my first hat trick too, and the shutout is better, hands down.

So, you didn't make 50 saves. So, your team played a huge part. Bottom line: you lose AND win as a team. If it wasn't for your 10-15 saves, it wouldn't have been a shutout, and might have been a loss. You did your part, and you kicked butt at it.

In my book that means you earned it!

Ms. Conduct  April 8, 2011 at 11:39 AM  

Yeah, that's the thing, I think, Nick. It's not a game I'd inherently remember for any reason other than the goose egg. We're 4 days later and I remember more about the party after the game than the game.

In fact, IIRC, I was deemed an honorary lesbian during the party because I like boobs. Go me!

maalivahti  April 16, 2011 at 5:11 PM  

My first shutout was the same way- I think I saw 10 shots at the most. So when my friends made a big deal about it, I kind of felt like I didn't deserve it. But hey, a shutout's a shutout...

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP