Wednesday, November 3, 2010

BangBangBang: A brain dump

  • I wrote some stuff about Aeros winger/Wild prospect Carson McMillan here, because my jaw dropped when I saw that he's tied for the Aeros scoring lead. WTF is that about? I think that's awesome for him, but possibly very foreboding for the Aeros. 
  • I also wrote some stuff about the Aeros for PHN. I'm told it's going live at 3 a.m. Thursday, so click the Pro Hockey News link at the top of the page tomorrow for that. (I would have thought that was THIS morning, but apparently it's actually 3 a.m. Friday morning?)
  • I'm not a Devils fan but man I feel bad for that team. I'm so grossed out by hot shot dicks who are willing to sink their team in the name of cashing in. What an absolutely ridiculous situation for that team to be in. I was thinking about it driving home from hockey last night and my stomach literally turned. What a jerk.
  • Of course, that stomach turning could have been my lousy women's league performance. The scheduled goalie couldn't make it so I filled in. Team played great, but I didn't see many shots and 2 of their 3 good chances got past me. Though the one I did stop was a seriously gnarly blocker save. Only lost 2-1 but even a 2 goal game can feel bad after.
  • Though I did feel better today when I realized their best player probably put 4 decent shots on me and I stopped them all. Coulda been worse.
  • Interviewing my boy Jaeger tomorrow for InGoal Mag (via chat, so I'm not sure how that will go), but he's just blowing up the EIHL right now and has everybody in a frenzy over this crazy back door glove save he made Sunday. I need to put some questions together as I have a whole bunch rattling around my head, but I'll forget them as soon as we start talking. I'm the world's worst interview choker. 
  • Luongo. Is. Overrated.
  • I hope Marty Brodeur doesn't hang on too long. I know the team is bad so maybe this isn't on him, but he hasn't looked good lately. I wonder if his heart's still in it. He's reached so many goals, set so many records, and now his team is a mess. It's gotta be hard to get up for that every night. Maybe if they changed their name to the New Jersey Sisters-in-law....
  • Or the New Jersey Bacon Cheeseburgers...
  • Kidding. I don't even think he's fat. Which is why "Marty is fat" jokes are so funny to me. I love you, Marty, you know it. I only tease the ones I love.
  • It's COLD here! Like 50s cold! Fuck me, I love this weather. Even better, it's cold and gray and rainy today. I just want to bundle up and watch hockey and bake stuff and wear fuzzy socks.
  • My boobs hurt. It sucks being a girl.

6 comments:

M. Richter  November 4, 2010 at 8:58 AM  

Agreed on the Luongo thing, although probably for somewhat different reasons on this end - I spent all of University hearing about how fantastic he was, and watching the entire responsibility of win/loss get tossed @ his door for the Canucks, and it really rubbed me the wrong way. I've never really gotten over it, but even aside from that, he's like most other NHL-calibre goalies - he's great when his D is good, and he's iffy when they're not, which makes sense. But he's not the be-all end-all he gets made out to be, he just isn't.

I'm of mixed mind on Brodeur, to be honest. I saw him play (and get pulled from) the Caps season home-opener, and I've caught snippets here and there since then (I need to remember to bring headphones to school so I can catch up on my NHL news). Some of the recent problems are clearly on the shoulders of the team, but I'm honestly not sure where to draw that line (especially when you consider how long the Devils were considered strictly the Martin Brodeur Show). He's not a goalie I've followed as actively, so gauging descent rate is difficult at best, but I totally agree in the hope that he has the good sense to bow out when he's through instead of riding the downswell into the ground.

Question for you, regarding the league(s) you play in. Do they use Pointstreak and/or another software so that you guys have access to your stats? If so, do you know if the scorekeepers track SOG at your level? I've been trying to figure out if I should be doing so or not, now that I'm comfortable enough behind the board controls that I'd feel comfortable taking on another level of difficulty. If they do track, do you find it useful?

artandhockey  November 4, 2010 at 9:08 AM  

Did I read BAKE Stuff?
Lolling around I get, but BAKE? Hot chocolate, hot toddies (I said toddies) and Gluehwein, hmm yes, that's niiiiice!

Ms. Conduct  November 4, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

I like to bake but it's too hot in the summer. When it's cold, I love to bake!

Ms. Conduct  November 4, 2010 at 11:01 AM  

Marienne, I actually haven't seen the stats for women's league (the only league I'm in that has a scorekeeper). I'm actually afraid to look to be honest with you. I don't know what stats it contains but I don't believe they use any software. It's a pretty cheap operation. :) I'm told our stats are on display somewhere near the front desk at the rink and I've looked around but not seen them. But I haven't looked REAL hard because, like I said... what if they crush my soul? Haha...

M. Richter  November 4, 2010 at 11:14 AM  

Aw! I have faith that you're better than you give yourself credit for (Pointstreak is a software used by some of the bigger arenas/programs to allow league members to access stats online. Most of the time, I work w/ paper scoresheets and someone else uploads the data, though, since we've been having wifi issues @ my rink). And if the women's league is the only one with a scorekeeper, odds are they're not tracking SOG, either. No worries, just thought I'd ask out of professional curiosity. My biggest problem in tracking SOG as a scorekeeper is never being completely sure what counts/doesn't. On the plus side, it's amazing how much you can learn in a reasonably short period of time if you put your mind to it. I'm considering getting my official's certs next summer, at the urging of a few of the refs I work with, and man - my POV on hockey has changed drastically since I started mainlining rules & regs and tracking stats professionally.

Ms. Conduct  November 4, 2010 at 11:29 AM  

What if you tracked them informally for a few games and then maybe asked the goalies or even the refs if your numbers "feel" right. I think we always have a feel for how many shots we're seeing. I would have trouble counting them when you get into that crease-scramble situation where the goalie may touch it 4 times before it settles down but from where you sit, all you see is butts and sticks and stuff.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP