Thursday, August 12, 2010

Quick hits: Jays blog and new pads!

So, I don't want to blog about the Jays here, but as you have seen, things come up and I'm so warped that I fear if I don't write about something that's on my mind, I may cease to exist. Or my head will explode. Or you guys won't know what I'm thinking! Oh the humanity.

And since I don't really have much to say about baseball that's very long winded, I went the Tumblr route. I'm actually not a big Tumblr fan. Either have a blog or have Twitter, but Tumblr is sort of in between and more media rich, so pics, video, etc.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes. You can follow it on Google Reader just like a real blog. It just won't be pages of entertaining angst about knees and goaltending and Brusty lust (sorry, man, but hey, at least it's your Jays!)

What pushed me over the edge, because I'd been thinking about this for a while, was the whole Meats Don't Clash thing. When it hit me like a bolt of lightening that that would be an awesome blog name, I knew that was my cue to go Tumbl the Jays. Now if I could figure out how to Tumbl JUST my Jays tweets over there... that would be cool.

Oh, you can go to there by clicking here: http://meatsdontclash.tumblr.com/

---------------------------

I wasn't expecting this so soon but it looks like I've gotten funding for new pads. I'm pretty jacked about that, but now my head is spinning with information.

I knew absolutely nothing about anything when I bought my first set (RBK 6ks with no break). And they were mis-measured because, as I found out in MN, my skates were too big and skate size is part of the measurement. DOH!

So now that I have skates that fit, I remeasure and get 32", which is exactly what I thought I needed (have 34s now and my knee rests between the knee stack and the calf pad... and when I say rests, I mean, my knee slams into the ice in that spot every time I butterfly).

It occurs to me that having my knee actually rest on the pad stack like it's supposed to might even help with my knee woes. Less torque on the knee and whatnot. We'll see.

I'd love to go custom but I don't think it's necessary. And I do like the feel of my 6ks, but I have a fairly narrow fly, so I need more flex at the top to close up my 5-hole (according to the sales guy in MN).

As such, I'm looking at the Revoke 9000s and the Bauer Supreme One80s. I'm looking at the Vaughns, but I've gotten used to a looser fit on the leg and I'm afraid Vaughns will sit around my leg more than I'll like.

My concern about the Bauers is that they'll be too hard. They have a thinner profile and in order to have a thinner profile and still protect, they have to be harder, right? But they do come in a 32+1 and solid white (yum---lookie at all the pucks I stopped!)

The Revokes only come in a 33+1 (or intermediate 31+1, which is too small). The 33 would probably be okay, so it's not a huge deciding factor, but when combined with the fact that I also can't get the color I want... Hmm...

Then there are ones like Smiths that are just a few hundred more and completely custom pads. The problem is, what if I don't like them? Pretty sure they can't go back.

And then I go back to the Vaughns, which have better knee protection and are softer from the start (and come in 32+1) but also don't come in a color I want. But the idea of not getting dinged in the calf sounds kinda nice, too. Plus they have this wider pad on the bottom so you have better stability, which seems like a fine idea.

Bahhhh! So, I dunno. Advice is welcome, as long as you're okay with me not taking it. :)

12 comments:

Jennifer Hammer  August 12, 2010 at 10:17 PM  

could always get a 2nd twitter account: meatsdontclash

Ms. Conduct  August 12, 2010 at 11:25 PM  

I already have 3! Plus I like to annoy my hockey followers with a little baseball talk. Heheh....

Dash  August 13, 2010 at 8:30 AM  

You need to come to Canada to get your equipment lol

http://www.prohockeylife.com/

It's a toy store for hockey fans. They do ship too.

Ms. Conduct  August 13, 2010 at 9:18 AM  

Thanks! Didn't know about that store. I'd love to come to CA and get my gear! Hell, even Dallas would do better...

JL  August 13, 2010 at 9:59 AM  

New Gear Day is the best day of the year.

I'm not a goalie but I've never heard anything bad about Vaughan.

Go over to ModSquadHockey.com and check out the goalie section...really smart people over there.

Ms. Conduct  August 13, 2010 at 10:13 AM  

Thanks for the reminder, Jarick. That is a good site. GSBB can be a little overwhelming...

Anonymous  August 13, 2010 at 12:28 PM  

hence why i love alaska. Went to a goalie rich store, and had a sales rep whos also a goalie help me with mine. Told him what level, and he helped me find the right ones AND i tried on goalie skates to help figure it out.
GSBB is awesome, but yes, sometimes have to sit back and breath from the wealth of info.
Sounds like a roadtrip is needed to go somewhere to sit and try on pads...or find the right website and email the store..with what your looking for?

Ms. Conduct  August 13, 2010 at 12:31 PM  

I think I need to get organized with my thoughts. Spreadsheet. Pads in contention. Pros/cons/sizes/features. It's like house shopping! I've seen so many that I can't remember why I rejected one or another or why I liked one or another.

maalivahti  August 13, 2010 at 5:48 PM  

You're supposed to have your skates on when you measure? ooops....

maalivahti  August 13, 2010 at 5:48 PM  

oh, and you don't annoy me with your baseball talk, i just skim right over it. so there :P

artandhockey  August 14, 2010 at 5:06 PM  

skimming off the top..always a good thing ;-0..OOPS!

Nick  August 14, 2010 at 10:01 PM  

I know you're not a huge fan of GSBB, but if you search in the ATK database project thread (http://www.goaliestore.com/board/equipment-forum/54782-pad-size-atk-database-project.html) you can likely find your pad size and comparable others for what you're looking at.

Try on as much as you can and be sure to come with your whatever you wear on your lower half (skates and pants in the very least) to see how well everything integrates together. If you order totally online, don't be afraid to call them and ask alot of questions and help confirm your sizing. Good luck!

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP