Monday, August 9, 2010

Dear Monday... bite me

It's a bad sign when you and your spouse are sitting at the dinner table Sunday night and agree that today felt 100% like a weekday. We both had real work to do throughout the day and I hadn't played hockey all weekend and we were just bored. Weekday.

Blue Jays
The highlight of my weekend, however, was watching the Blue Jays sweep the Rays. It was the kind of series that made you feel sorry for people who don't like sports, or maybe worse, sports fans who don't like baseball.

Saturday's 17-11 home run derby-slash-JP Arencibia debutante ball was an absolute carnival of sporting pleasures. Any time you have a major league debut where phrases like "first time in modern-era baseball" are being written, you know you've done well. Guys play for 20 years and don't have games like Arencibia had in his debut. Never mind the rest of the team bringing the big bats with them, too, and just piling on.

Then yesterday, a more elegant show as Brandon Morrow gets one out away from his first career no-hitter. Even crazier is that I watched 90% of the game and didn't know he had a no hitter going. I missed an inning or two and not really being a stats person, hadn't clued into the big goose egg under H for the Rays... that is, until there was a 1 under the H and the tv guys could finally say, "Ohhhh, there went his no-hitter!" Duh.

Of course, the tv guys weren't saying it because they didn't want to jinx it. I even fell asleep during the bottom of the 6th for about 10 minutes. Ha! Even Mr.C, who only begrudgingly tolerates my baseball fandom, was pretty jacked to realize he'd just witnessed his first no-hitter... almost.

Anyway, it was a great weekend to be a Jays fan, or even just a sports fan watching the Jays.

Urgh
Maybe it wasn't such a great weekend to be in my head though. I'm still feeling pretty "meh" about goal. I HATE this feeling. It's happened 2 or 3 times since I started. Where I just feel like if I never strapped the pads on again, I wouldn't miss it.

Fortunately, since I HAVE been here a few times before, I know I'll find my heart for it again real soon. I think I'm mostly just tired of hurting. But if I get objective about it, it's really camp that was just too much for me and I'm having to recover from that . As much as I enjoyed it and loved having a week to wallow in goalieness, I'm not sure it's worth this continued misery in my knees to do it again next year.

I promised my PT I'd take a full week off, but then I got Scott TFCG's agenda for goalie clinic tonight and it's exactly that "scrambling" issue I talked about wanting to work on a few weeks ago. So there's no way I'm missing that. What's one day early? I'll try to take it easy though and not bang up my knee too much. Mainly I just want to get warm and then really focus my energy on the scrambling drills.

Then back to women's league tomorrow night. Oh boy has that GOT to get better for me. Then for the next two weeks, I only have 2 games a week and never 2 days in a row, so that's a good healing schedule.

I feel better already, just writing that out. Phew.

Ice Ice Baby
So, the ice in Houston is pretty shitty right now (though it wasn't too bad at Space City since it's just been re-done), so I went back to a 3/4 sharpening last week. Ugh, what a mistake. It definitely felt more comfortable initially, but I'd really gotten used to the dig you get with a deeper hollow. I think I'm still a little bit away from finding my sweet spot when it comes to my blades.

Speaking of Space City though, man do they ever need to upgrade their lighting. Or even just replace the bulbs that are out. That rink is like playing in a cave. Even in my mind's eye, playing the game, it's dim. And yet, still Equator hot in there.

Wild
I've come to a realization about the Wild: I don't care what they do with their roster. Apart from a few favorite players, I don't give a crap who they sign or for how much or where they are relative to the cap or who plays on what line or with whom. All I care about is that they don't suck like they have the last two years.

How they get from point A to point P (for Playoffs!!!!!!1), doesn't matter one bit to me. I realized this as I was scrolling through the Hockey's Future message board for the Wild and didn't feel compelled to click any of the topics. And as much as I'm all about prospects, I don't care to rank them. They will be what they will be (or not, if they're James Sheppard).

I am pretty jacked about having John Madden on the team, though, because we are John Madden fans in this house, even though it's the football version with the crazy eyebrows. So I'm looking forward to a season of saying, "BOOM!" and "Turduckin!" and "They used to use stickem, but now they've got those gloves!" though I have no idea when that would be appropriate in hockey. I'm going to try though.

Mondays
Everything should be Muppetized on Mondays. Things are so much easier to take when offered up by Muppets. Had "In the Navy" in my head this morning after discussing the Milwaukee and Norfolk Admirals logos with Chris "Your Taste in Logos Sucks" Jerina.

7 comments:

JL  August 9, 2010 at 11:16 AM  

You ever skate out to break up the monotony?

Chris Jerina  August 9, 2010 at 11:24 AM  

For a team called the Admirals, how can Milwaukee's be better?

Norfolk:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/ca/Norfolk_Admirals.svg/250px-Norfolk_Admirals.svg.png

I mean hey, its shooting pucks from the cannons!

Milwaukee:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/76/Milwaukee_Admirals.svg/250px-Milwaukee_Admirals.svg.png

I mean, look its a pirate, not even a naval officer.

Ms. Conduct  August 9, 2010 at 11:34 AM  

No, Jarick. I hated about 95% of all my time skating out. Just not my bag at all. I sold all my skater gear earlier this year.

Old naval officers don't die, they become evil pirate skeletons. Or something.

Anonymous  August 9, 2010 at 12:12 PM  

i dont know if i could handle skating out. Theres waaaay too much to pay attention to when skating around. Im more the hermit crab style...safe in my crease, happy to be shelled by vulcanized rubber, and being told by pretty girls that smell good "way to stop that one goalie"....
moose

Ms. Conduct  August 9, 2010 at 12:49 PM  

You never skated out ever, Moosey? I did it for 6 months and just detested the chaos. Never knew where to be, never knew who was about to turn where so I could avoid slamming into them, just hated pretty much everything about it. I think my ability to read plays isn't horrible (it's my ability to react to them that sucks), but in terms of actually being IN the play and knowing where to be as a skater, I was utterly hopeless.

Frankly, I was only ever doing it to improve my skating. I probably should have done it for another 6 months or a year in that regard, but I'm awfully glad I didn't have to. I really really really hated it.

Anonymous  August 9, 2010 at 2:08 PM  

i like skating around and just playing. As in with a couple buddies and just goofing off. Luckly, our outdoor rink here on base is usually empty at lunch in the winter so i can do that. Just skates, gloves and a stick with some pucks. Figure then i wont wreck any game or whatever. Plus, i can work on my skating on my time and such.
I have tried it before, but you nailed it..detest the chaos.

moose(y)

Nick  August 10, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

I'm not a fan of John Madden (the announcer), but I LOVE when Frank Caliendo does John Madden.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP