Monday, June 28, 2010

The Wanderer & The Savegasm

In my desperate scramble to keep my ice time up before camp in late July, I grabbed the reigns on a need down at the rink in Sugar Land. They've got 4 novice teams and have been playing with only 2 goalies all season. Since we weren't playing at Willowbrook this week, I figured I'd offer myself up.

I didn't play very well. Definitely was in my head too much, but I had some good saves and it was really interesting to see how different the vibe at their novice league is. Not any better or worse, but very different. Even the play is really different.

At Willowbrook, we have more player-coaches and we have more true newbies, so there's a wide variance in the skill levels. At SLICE, I'd say the play is more D+ across the board. Less wide-ranging than Willowbrook. Positionally, they're pretty good as I had traffic in my way all night, the likes of which I don't even see on Monday nights where it's more of a C level game. I've never had so much trouble maintaining visual attachment with the puck.

So, that will take some adjusting if I play there more. I have agreed to come out for a practice in two weeks, so that will be a 3 in 3, which will be good. I'm not sure what's going to happen in the fall with Willowbrook novice moving to Saturday and conflicting with a good number of Aeros games. Does it makes sense to switch to SLICE in October? It is about 10 minutes less of a drive, too, which is nice. But I'd be losing Scott on practice nights (though I'm getting him weekly at the goalie clinic).

I dunno. Stuff I'm pondering. Meanwhile, I have clinic tomorrow and NOTHING next week. NOTHING. AUGHHH. I'm gonna have to do real workouts? Madre de dios!

------------------------------------------------------

I'm coining a new term y'all are gonna love

SAVEGASM

I'm not sure if a word is allowed to have two quite so similar meanings, but this is my word so I'm saying it does:
  1. When a goalie makes such a sexy save, you find yourself a bit, um, flush. The last one that did that to me was, naturally, a glove save Brusty made while he was in Houston last season. Since we didn't have a photog for T3I, I had to do a stick figure of it. I still get a little tingly when I think about it. I'd have to ask Andrew and John but I'm pretty sure I fell out of my chair a little bit. I know there was gasping and dizziness and blushing and gripping the press table.
  2. When you, as a goalie, make a save that rocks you hard. Goalies know what I mean. Those saves where you just go, "Daaaaaamn, I just did that and that was fucking beautiful." I dunno if those same chemicals are released or what, but there's definitely a similar rush of those "feeling really good" endorphins or something.
So, there you go. Savegasm. Use it and, of course, have 'em as often as possible. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous  June 28, 2010 at 1:47 AM  

ok so i checked to see if there was going to be any drop in/goalie needing teams in the entire state when i go on vacation...damn the airline baggage fees...and no, my home state needs "recovery time"...so im out of luck for goaliegasm/savegasm...

i must say i love your terms..
MOOSE

Ms. Conduct  June 28, 2010 at 1:50 AM  

No lie, it's fucking expensive to fly with your gear. I'm having to get a second mortgage to haul it up to Minnesota next month.

maalivahti  June 28, 2010 at 11:12 AM  

savegasm. LOVE IT. and of course know exactly what you're talking about. the ones where i try like crazy not to grin my fool head off and act like i do that shit all the time. lol.

Anonymous  July 4, 2010 at 9:58 AM  

Hey just read this, in the fall I'll be coaching the girls peewee herricanes and assisting with Owen's squirt team, plus the goalie clinic and my wednesday night rec doesn't leave much for willowbrook in the fall

Ms. Conduct  July 4, 2010 at 10:07 AM  

Good to know, Scott. Thanks!

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP