Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Adios, Marty; Burnout; Camp Brusty Wrap-up

I wish I'd written on this the other night when it happened. I love to write in those giddy moments where everything is great and anything is possible, which is exactly how I felt after learning that Martin Havlat is no longer a Wild.

I was ready to do obscene things to Chuck Fletcher to show my gratitude, not only for unburdening the team of a guy who clearly didn't want to be there, but for unloading Cam Barker just a few days earlier, too.

The two players who took the wind out of my sails as a Wild fan are GONE.

Today, I'm thinking a muffin basket if probably more appropriate. Damn the sensibility that comes with daylight...

So, for the first time in a couple of years, I think of the Wild in a positive light, where, for the last 2 seasons, it's been more of an "ugh" feeling. From Yeo behind the bench, to Aeros babies looking to earn a permanent NHL gig, I'm excited for what's to come.

I'm not, however, expecting great things on the score sheet. But that's okay. What I've been missing is effort and heart and chemistry. I want the team to look like they care as much as I do. That's my bottom line at this point in the "building."

Now, some curmudgeons choose to complain about getting Heatley in return, but I don't care. I've seen a shit ton of hockey and had only two players whose mere presence on the ice grates my nerves: Pouliot and Havlat. So I'm willing to gamble that Heatley will be an upgrade to my viewing enjoyment.

He is considerably less attractive though. Disappointing, but he's slightly better looking than Gaborik, so it's still an overall upgrade since I started watching the Wild.

-------------------------

In other news, I'm realizing I'm really burned out still. Between extended playoffs and preparing for and executing Camp Brusty, I kinda don't want to do anything but occasionally play hockey. And even that I could do without right now.

I'm just toast. I'm tired of waking up in the middle of the night worried about some hockey thing that I'm actually supposed to be enjoying. We're not even a week out of Camp Brusty 2011 ending and I couldn't fall asleep tonight thinking about issues around next year's camp.

I've never been good at "turning it off" and I'm trying to look at the process as a learning experience. Learning to balance and let go and get perspective, but it's a bit trying at the moment.

Maybe the house buying thing is just the final straw for me this year and next year will be better. Or a shorter playoff run (no thanks... I'll take another go at the cup, please, Mr. Torchetti!) would give me a breather after the season.

I dunno. I still love you, hockey. I think we just need to go on separate vacations this year.

If I'm posting here even less than usual this summer, you know why...

---------------------------------

That said, I haven't wrapped up camp yet, but in short, it was neat. I, naturally, felt awkward and sievy nearly every minute of it as a participant, but everyone else seemed to enjoy it and get a lot out of it. Like, RAVE reviews from our adult goalies, who I hung out with after our last day Thursday.

I think the deal is that I'm too athletically learning disabled to learn goaltending in a group environment. I need more time to repeat drills and ask questions and soak in what I'm supposed to be soaking in. Otherwise, I just get rattled and nothing sinks in and I just try and get it over with so I can go sort myself out by the boards.

On the "Camp Administrator" end, though, it was a good experience and everyone seemed to appreciate the work I did to organize it all, including the parents and students, and of course, the amazing expertise Sean and Barry brought with them.

Wish I could say I did it all because I wanted to help goalies or improve my own game or even make some extra money, but no. It's all about making googly eyes at #33, but you guys already know that. :)

5 comments:

M. Richter  July 6, 2011 at 12:49 PM  

Glad to hear that the camp wrapped off well (and I'm sorry I've been AFK for such a ridiculously long time - I got sucked into my own hockey overload, which has only recently been resolving).

I have been the functional league administrator for the adult rec leagues @ one of the rinks here this spring/summer season (have been because we recently got a new (permanent, this time, maybe?) Hockey Director who doesn't see the need for administrative support in the adult leagues. Don't know what he's smoking), and the rest of my life just vanished. Also an on-site administrator for another rink, so it's been a lot of hockey 7 days a week this year.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having the kind of learning style where you don't function best in groups - I'd love to try goal, but I simply don't have the reflexes for it at all, so you've got a leg up on my sorry skater self. The main thing is realizing it and finding ways to make opportunities work for you, and it sounds like you're doing that.

I guess this is a very long-winded way of saying "Hi" and popping back up on your radar, and chiming in my two cents that maybe a break from hockey *isn't* the worst thing in the world. I had 48 hours off completely this weekend, and it did wonders for my psyche.

Ms. Conduct  July 6, 2011 at 2:32 PM  

Hey, I wondered where you'd gotten to. Glad to hear I'm not the only one feeling a little (or a lot) snowed under by my hockey love.

Enjoy the fresh air while you can get it, right?! :)

Shire's Mom  July 10, 2011 at 12:19 AM  

Hockey & I are taking separate vacations here as well. It's good to take a break; I guess that's why we have an off-season. Personally, I'm focusing on the horses and fixing up the cottage here. And spending time with the family as much as I can. Oh and blogging... I blame you for that LOL!

IDK, maybe it's just me; but making "googly eyes" at #33 sounds like a perfectly acceptable reason for being at camp..As long as you're dressed the part in full gear and such. =D

maalivahti  July 12, 2011 at 11:00 AM  

Definitely give yourself a good long break. A month maybe. Is that possible or do you have obligations? It's supposed to be something you love, not something you feel ambivalent (or even worse) about.

Ms. Conduct  July 12, 2011 at 11:09 AM  

Well, as it turns out, our Monday night games are off for July, and possibly August if attendance doesn't pick up. Hopefully we won't lose the slot permanently.

But Women's league starts up next week, which I'm SO excited for and am generally more successful at. So at least for the rest of July, it's just goalie clinic (if I feel like it) and women's league (always fun).

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP