Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I has a trophy

Ahhh.... blissful 4 days without the pads on. I love playing and I'm so so SO grateful that I get to do it, but like a lot of awesome things, I was teetering on the edge of too much.

Especially since I was running for several days on too little sleep. I ended up taking a sick day today and sleeping for probably 6 hours on and off through the day. Needed the rest badly to head off yet another cold that was threatening. Vitamin C is a miracle drug.

But I had a very good drop-in tonight and heard lots of "AW COME ON!" and "DAMMIT!" as I shut those shooters down. So it's a positive way to go into a little break.

Another positive thing is that Bonnie brought me the TROPHY I WON at the tournament this weekend. It's the Unsung Hero Award (Female) for showing up on short notice and getting a solid win.

DILLO, it says. 
As I told the girls tonight, my entire goaltending career relies essentially on being reliable and showing up when I say I will and not having kids or a difficult/travel-heavy job so that I'm generally available even on short notice. I may not be all that good, but by god, I'll be there and I'll try hard.

Anyway, I don't think I've gotten a trophy for playing a sport since I was about 8 or 9 playing soccer. I was a fullback and mostly stood around and trash talked girls when they got close to the net. So my defensive mentality and mouthiness comes naturally.

But since they didn't give trash talk awards to 8 year old girls, the trophies we got were basically participation awards that everyone got at season's end.

In fact, I think I've won a trophy for writing more recently than those soccer trophies. First place in some writing contest about going to see the Peter and the Wolf symphony concert with my class. Dorky.

I know it's silly, but this little gal may finally be the thing to get me to buy a shelf for my hockey nicknacks to go in my office, which I'm secretly trying to turn into a Den of Hockey. Don't tell Mr.C. I'm trying to find a Hextall Fathead to put on my wall and then I'll be in business. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous  March 17, 2011 at 12:55 PM  

whilst utilizing your tax dollars for saving humanity from the hoards of bad guys, i found this:

http://fineartamerica.com/products/hextall-scores-david-e-wilkinson-poster.html

thought maybe it would work in the den of hockey?

Moose

Ms. Conduct  March 17, 2011 at 1:20 PM  

Find me a Hextall Lumberjacks poster and I'll be all in! That is a cool poster though.

Nick  March 18, 2011 at 9:53 AM  

Nice trophy! You should be proud.

I was a fullback in youth soccer, too. Not much of a trash talker, but I could clear the ball like nobody's business! Otherwise, my only trophies from school are geeky ones with spelling bees one top. ;-)

maalivahti  March 20, 2011 at 7:56 PM  

GOOOO YOU!!! That's awesome. And definitely a sign that it's time to start the office-to-den transformation. Do it gradually and Mr C won't even notice. ;)

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP