Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Gameday Food, Hot Thighs, Tonight's Win

I spend a week or so every spring thinking my dog is dying because he won't eat the food I sit out for him. He of the unquenchable appetite... surely if he doesn't want food, he's on death's door.

But he finally ate the rest of yesterday's food and a delicious dental bone, so my worrying seems to be for naught.

This was going on as I was wolfing down my 3 oz of whole grain spaghetti with butter and parmesan, my default game day linner (late lunch, early dinner since I like to play on a mostly empty stomach).

As I ate, my mind wandered to wondering what my fellow goalies eat before they play (like, do you have a set thing or just whatever) and are you as adamant as me about not eating within a few hours of playing? I'm terrified of having a particularly tough game and barfing it up. How embarrassing that would be? I put up with the occasional growly stomach in the hour or two before I play in order to avoid that.

Also, are you like me where you're always having to tell your significant other that they're eating alone again because of hockey? I feel badly about it even though Mr.C is very understanding.

-------------------------

One thing he does do on those OYO nights is go eat stuff I can't/won't eat because it's too caloric. See, I've been working diligently on losing weight since December. It's going pretty well, too, but I've avoided talking about it on here because reading about other peoples' weight loss trials and tribulations is as much fun as a root canal.

And that policy will stand, but I mention it only because I find myself obsessed with my thigh muscles lately. Between losing weight and working out to build up my legs, I've got some pretty solid and handsome muscle going on there. I sit on the couch and admire that nice curve of my quadriceps. I flex them. I fondle them. We have a lovely time together.

It's like having my very own hockey player to look at all the time (without the bad things that come with hockey players...)! Maybe this is the cure for puck bunnyism (for those who wish to be cured). Build your own hockey muscles and fondle those instead, gurl..

------------------------------

Women's league was meh tonight. My team was very good after I put them in a 2-0 hole early on a couple of bad goals. Well, not bad bad, but I was too deep on the first glove side shot from the high slot. Toes in. Shoulda been toes out, if not heels out. The puck hit the outer tip of my glove but not enough to change the trajectory.

The other, I just mishandled a tight shot along the ice.

But the first one really got to me and I was grumpy the rest of the game. Relieved that my team bailed me out, but still grumpy. I don't like when I'm fighting the puck and feeling clumsy, which I was a lot of the night.

Did have some good saves down the stretch but didn't see a lot of shots either.

Ah well. A win is a win and we don't beat this team often. Captain Danglemitts wasn't even there, but they've got some good players. Just nobody who can/will straight up humiliate me like she does. Didn't miss it, honestly. Any crankier and I might have ... I dunno what. Let more goals in. :)

Tightened my straps on my persnickety right pad and that seemed to help rotation, but I'm not sure that was a thorough enough sample. A Monday game will tell the tale better as those boys get me moving more.

Alas, I'll have to wait a bit. I have to travel for work Monday, and Tuesday is a bye at women's league. Might see about doing Harpies Wednesday, or I might give myself a break. Sometimes these chances for a break fall in your lap and it's the hockey gods saying to go do something else for a few days.

Plus my gear is in DESPERATE need of a bath. That's tomorrow's adventure. For now... I have a date with a  bowl of chocolate Cheerios. Yuuum.

12 comments:

artandhockey  March 23, 2011 at 8:36 AM  

HMM, there is another connection between opear singers and hockey palyers... they both usually do not eat heavily before a performance..but afterwards when they are hyped to the gills and need to cool down...
just saying!
Good for you...and loose association THE word is sangria (hope you drink that)

Nick in New York  March 23, 2011 at 9:52 AM  

I try to walk the tight rope between not being full but not having an empty stomach which I found really messes with me in the third period. If I can feel my blood sugar level waning, my performance is sure to follow suit post haste. So I usually try to eat something like a granola bar about an hour before I play. But I have to set that up with a solid meal enough hours before that to make me not feel full after the granola bar.

It's just another way I pretend I'm a real athlete - managing my game day meals.

Ms. Conduct  March 23, 2011 at 10:17 AM  

Love Sangria! How come I never get cool words? :\

What's silly, Nick, is that when I did camp last summer, obviously with so much ice time, I just had to EAT OR DIE and it didn't matter when. Of course, I was so tired, I couldn't really go full out like I would in a game anyway.

Man, that was a fun week.

Anonymous  March 23, 2011 at 3:17 PM  

i usually hit arbys on the way to the game. Chicken sammich with bacon. No fries, and a sports drink.
eat it about 1.5 hours before the game. Sometimes i burp it up in the first period, but never throw up. Course, in High School, i used to eat a hot dog and drink a soda before running the 400 meters too, so i'm NQR (Not Quite Right) anyway.

Moose

Ms. Conduct  March 23, 2011 at 3:23 PM  

Nice discipline skipping the fries. OMG I love me some curly fries...

klemmer  March 24, 2011 at 8:18 AM  

I have baked chicken and rice about 3 hours before the skate and a 16 QuikTrip coffee with French Vanilla creamer on the way to the skate.

About half a bottle of grape or orange gatorade between periods...

Had to do McD's on the way in Tues night due to scheduling.... It was not pretty at all.

Ms. Conduct  March 24, 2011 at 8:22 AM  

God, I love QuikTrip. I'm glad we didn't move to KC ultimately, but of all the things I know I would have enjoyed, QT is in the top 3 with Oklahoma Joe's and Kauffman Stadium (most epic ballpark in the league).

Nick  March 24, 2011 at 11:41 AM  

Ditto on the pregame meal ritual. Good ol' chicken parm at 3 Sons on game day for lunch and no dinner unless it's a really late game and I might do a banana.

By the way, don't people usually loosen their leg straps when they don't rotate? Or are you talking about them straightening back out when you get back up? My calf straps are kinda loose, the knee wrap is snug (but it's elastic so whatever), and my boot strap and toe ties are tight ... at least that's how I like mine!

Ms. Conduct  March 24, 2011 at 11:57 AM  

Well, I already had every strap on its loosest hole (heh), so the only thing TO try was tightening them.

What I've figured out is if I'm in my stance and I wiggle my legs around so the pad sort of lays where it's gonna lay naturally, the left pad stays square on my leg, but the right pad falls so far to the inside/down that the outside of my leg starts to be exposed.

So, I guess it's not that the pad isn't rotating, it's that when I butterfly, the pad is simply in the wrong place TO butterfly. If it's square on my leg, it rotates fine, but if I've been moving around it's kinda done its own thing and shifted more to the inside of my stance, then it just doesn't work right.

So, by tightening the straps, I'm hoping it will just stay square on my leg better to start with.

I think as the pads have broken in, they've loosened up. I don't know why it doesn't happen on the left side though, but I'll not borrow trouble. :)

maalivahti  March 25, 2011 at 7:40 AM  

I don't have a set routine for game day meals. I work outside of the home and don't get in until 6:30 or 7, and our games are anywhere from 9:30 to 11:30, so having a set routine doesn't really work. I can't play on a totally empty stomach, my blood sugar bottoms out at the drop of a hat. I try to make sure I'm eating no more than 2 hours before playing. My default "oh crap I have to play and I haven't eaten" is a PB&J sandwich. Seriously. Not too much food, some protien, and some carbs. Perfect.

maalivahti  March 25, 2011 at 7:41 AM  

PS- not going to comment much on the thigh fondlage other than there is nothing wrong with admiring muscules you've worked hard to get ;)

Ms. Conduct  March 25, 2011 at 9:24 AM  

Yeah, PBJ is one I'm comfortable with within a couple of hours of playing. Bland, light, protein, carbs. Yep. PB/banana toast is another.

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP