Friday, January 15, 2010

Rabbit Stew

I must be bored because normally I avoid the whole "puck bunny" vs. "real fan" debate, but honestly, sometimes the "real fan" proponents are even more annoying than the puck bunnies.

Not sure why that is, other than the "real fan" women feel the need to make strident arguments defending themselves while trashing someone else's choices in the process. "Be a hockey fan the way *I'm* a hockey fan or it's not valid."

Whereas "puck bunnies" really don't seem to feel any particular need to defend their behavior. They seem to know it's silly and tacky and don't really give a shit. Party on, Fluffy!

Look, here's part of my experience and why I don't get too hung up about bunny behavior: Some day you're gonna be old and married and if you don't have some naughty fun to look back on fondly, you might regret it. I think you need to know that wild child is in there somewhere or the most exciting part of your life is gonna be the new season of Project Runway.

And I'm not saying go be a fool. Actually, I'm not saying do anything in particular at all. We've all got different stuff that drives us, thrills us, entertains us, gnaws at us. If you wanna spend your youthful energy as the post-game buffet for a beefy hockey boy, more power to ya. Spend it however you want, but... go have some fun, just for you.

Still, neverminding my cougar lamentations, my point isn't to defend puck bunnies as much as it is to say this: I know we kinda think guys are all a little... simple. And in a lot of ways they are. And it's a joyous thing and why I adore men. They usually mean what they say, assuming you haven't hen-pecked them into silence, and that is a blessing.

But simple =/= stupid. Any man worth knowing can tell the difference between a woman who is just at a hockey game to attract some hockey beefcake and a woman who is there to watch hockey.

In fact, I would say that with the men I know who understand my passion for the game, I can dish up the most redonk crushing on a player, but they don't ever question my heart for the game. The hot boys are just window dressing.

And any guy who is calling you a puck bunny when you haven't exhibited puck bunny behavior is doing it to irritate you.

Let me say that again: He's doing it to irritate you, because you're being uptight and it's fun to poke at women who get uptight about other women.

So here's the question I have. Why do you need the validation of male hockey fans at all? Why do you worry so much about how female hockey fans are perceived by men? I almost get the sense that it's a female form of "machismo," this need to prove oneself to ones challengers.

I can tell you, after spending LOTS of time around hockey people, mainly men, that their opinion of me is 100% driven by my behavior. Not that of some other woman. That would be pretty retarded to look at the "Marry Me Sidney" chick and think, "Oh, so all women are here for the hot boys." And why would you even engage with a guy who thought like that anyway? That's why god gave us middle fingers.

Just be who you are, surround yourself with quality people, stop worrying about what the men think, and enjoy the game the way you want, in a way that's meaningful for you. Have the confidence to be your own person without needing to prove anything to anyone.

And to make it fair, quit worrying about what other people are doing while you're at it.

9 comments:

Nicky Robinson  January 15, 2010 at 5:44 PM  

Nice! One of my favorite "freak out the male fan" moments was watching some random playoff game with me (goalie), best friend (goalie), male friend (d-man) and husband (laughing). Poor d-man kept getting flipped out when we girls could switch flawlessly between "he's dropping his glove hand" and "couldn't you just eat that with a spoon?" I don't think hes watched hockey with us since. Played, yes. Watched, no. Heh. Boys are simple.

artandhockey  January 15, 2010 at 5:59 PM  

We all have soft spots making us temporarily insane...;-).
Nuts to Miss Prissy out there!
Who says we can't enjoy those 'vistas'?
Never too old to enjoy this beauty (in the eye of this beholder)which may not be what YOU like!
Taking it all with soupcon or more of humor..laughing at ourselves all the way, is still politically correct or not?
Am getting to be a bit paranoid about all that stuff, innocent thoughts or naughty ones.
'Good' = bland words vs 'nono don't use that word'.
The, oh, I am so the man, of the species enjoys cute and/or hot vistas as well. AND most everybody in the limelight seems to easy prey for papparazzi etc. anyway! Vide THAT golfer idol.
Of course, this all can be applied vice versa, if you all know what I mean! ;-). ACK is the word here.. which fits, don't you all think?

BReynolds  January 15, 2010 at 10:31 PM  

"Just be who you are, surround yourself with quality people, stop worrying about what the men think, and enjoy the game the way you want, in a way that's meaningful for you. Have the confidence to be your own person without needing to prove anything to anyone.

And to make it fair, quit worrying about what other people are doing while you're at it."

Every day, H, you come closer and closer to becoming my hero.

Coming from a male hockey fan... ladies, don't worry about what the men think. We're too busy checking out your ass to worry about what you're looking at... ;-)

Ms. Conduct  January 15, 2010 at 10:49 PM  

WTF? I wasn't already your hero? Bitch.

I've stopped a lot of pucks for this ass, so be my guest.

Sunshine36616  January 16, 2010 at 12:15 AM  

I kind of feel like we get more out of the game because we can notice the physical beauty of the player. I love what NickyR said about dropping his glove hand then eating him with a spoon.
Just because I think Johan Hedberg is one of the most beautiful men on the planet doesn't mean I don't appreciate his diving poke check or the fact he's one of the best shoot out guys in the NHL. Those facts don't have to be mutually exclusive.
It's a fine line to walk, ladies!

Ms. Conduct  January 16, 2010 at 12:24 AM  

I don't see it as a fine line as much as, like, why does everything have to be so neat and tidy? Can we not have our cake and eat it, too? Can we not wallow in every delicious aspect of the game? Can we not acknowledge that we're sexual creatures while still appreciating the detail a player puts into his penalty killing?

I'm declaring that we can. Viva la revolution!!!!! You can love the game with your heart, appreciate it with your mind, and want to tap that hot goalie... all at the same time!

spokant  January 16, 2010 at 2:11 PM  

Fantastic article. Glad Dave Schultz directed me to it!

spokant  January 16, 2010 at 2:11 PM  

I guess it's not really an article. Fantastic write! ;)

  © Blogger templates Psi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP