I wish I could always feel like I do after a big sugar-and-caffeine-laden mocha. I'm ready to write a book or run a marathon or something. Instead, I'll just write a rambling blog.
Had a great workout yesterday. Actually got almost as much done as I wanted to. The only thing I didn't do was stretch after, and boy did I regret that when I woke up at 1:30 with my knee stiff and burning. Crap. Lesson learned (again... I'm so fucking hard-headed).
Beyonce... JHMFC, look at those legs. You're welcome, boys. If this isn't inspiration to work those squats, I dunno what is.
I've added some new stuff to my workout that I'm really feeling in my hips and quads and butt, which is awesome.
- Those goalie squats like I posted about the other day, except I'm adding 18 lbs of weights, right now just for the last set, but I'll work up to all 3 sets and more weight.
- Then single leg squats, like this, except without the weights. I'll work up to that. My weak leg really really hates these. Mommy!
- And then wide-stance squats. They're a lot harder than they look. Like this but, for now, without the weights. Er, and not quite so deep or I'd be rockin' it like the Life Alert lady. Ouch.
- Also using a resistance band to work the adductors, though I'm not sure I'm hitting the right note there. That's the only one that didn't feel so effective. Anybody got any killer groin isolating moves for me? And for most of you, I don't mean that in a "make a sexy-time" way. Wahwahwoo. Is a'very nice.
- Haven't added much new stuff ab-wise. Just upping the reps. Though I can finally do floor sit-ups with my knees up at 90 degrees. Couldn't even do one of those a couple of months ago.
- Adding in some bicep and shoulder work. I figure I won't let my glove hand 'drag' so much if my arms are stronger. Take a moment to marvel at my genius for figuring that out after 7 months of playing goal.
Haven't gotten back to running, though I probably could have this week, but I realized I have absolutely no business running in my current pair of shoes. They're the ones I wore for about half my training and the marathon I walked two years ago, and they've been my primary sneakers ever since. The tread is worn off completely on the ball of the foot and I'm sure the cushioning is shot.
So, I ordered some new ones yesterday. Got lucky and found a pair of last year's model (one version up from the ones I'm wearing now--NB 1061) for around $60 shipped. New model would have cost $120. Yay for that. Anyway, I'm dreading getting back to running, so for the first time ever, I'm hoping shipping is snail-like. I kinda hope they don't get here until October when it starts to cool down. (Update: Well, damn. Dear Ms.Conduct: The following New Balance merchandise has shipped via United Parcel Service (UPS).)
Anyway, if you made it this far, kudos. I know it's boring reading about somebody else's training but it helps me be a little more accountable to put it out there. Though I'm sure I lost everyone with a penis up there at Beyonce's thighs. Can't say I blame you.
Happy weekend, folks.